Bike CHOICE

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lol looks like there have been a few "crossed" posts here.. hopefully this one might tie in with the thread properly...
Ok, a CRF150r is about the same, maybe a tiny bit faster than an 85cc two stroke mx bike. they generate about 22 horsepower maximum..
A YZ125 will generate about 28 -30 hp, but will be more torquey than either a 150R or an 85cc 2 stroke. Theres no such thing as rule of thumb in regards to Top speed, as this all depends on gearing.. they can be geared to do over 150kph however.. average would be about 100...
A 250 Fourstroke mxer will generate about 30-35 hp, but will be MUCH torquier than any of the above bikes, and be much more powerful overall...
As far as the 125 two stroke range goes, there is the Yamaha YZ, Honda CR, Suzuki RM, Kawasaki KX, Husqvarna 125CR, and the KTM 125SX. There are other european brands, but generally they're obscure, and not worth considering..
Others will disagree, but i would consider the YZ as the pick of the bunch, followed by the RM, which is a vastly underrated 125... The YZ is probably the best allrounder, has the easiest maintenance program, and if its an earlier model you are looking at, ie early to mid 00's, it's probably the most consistent of the bunch. Others may suggest the CR, but the experiences i've had with CR 125's, has resulted in a fragile bike, with a hefty maintenance program, BUT THAT IS ONLY MY EXPERIENCE...
If you really want something that also has the option of being registered for the road, you can also consider the KTM125EXC, or the Husky WR125... not sure about the late model huskies, but they are both registerable, and offer very similar performance to their MX only cousins... They arent the best bikes for road use, but they CAN be registered and ridden on the road legally come time for you to get your license..
Hope that all helps mate.

actually miflboy, i suggested the YZ based on experience, not the fact i own a YZF. if it was becuase i own a YZF, i would have suggested a YZF.. lol..
I also suggested the RM, as i've found that to be a pretty impressive bike to ride...
having ridden most of the 125's offered over the last decade, the yamaha and the suzook have always stood out for me, both for their capabilities, reliability, and performance...
But yes, you make a good point that one particular bike suits everyone, and yes, he should test ride anything he can get his hands on. :)

once again... well said thump, and yerr i do agree on what you have had to say,and probably have had more experience than most people.. and alot more than me for sure, soo mate def have a read on what thump said cause he knows his sh1t,;)

yes it does indeed thanks alot mate appreciate it;):D

soo when powerband ingages is it like drag you back speed or soo much power wheele speed?

if that makes any sence:p

umm and when it comes to piston ring changes and all that how long between changes? lets say i just bought it how long befor i have to change the rings?

yer power band is sicc, and if ya not carefull will chuck ya off the back but dont be scared of it give it all its got, and i ride my 85 for a yr with out no work except a oil change here and there, and still goes good tho prob needs new rings, depends on how much you ride it and how hard you do.

oo lol thats not bad considering its a 2 stroke:p

and do yous know how much they cost?

the maintenance for all bikes is worked off HOURS of run time....thats why people buy hour timers for their bike.
i change the oil in my wrf450 roughly every 15hrs, use to be 30hrs but i blew 5th gear up about 12months ago so i reduced the hrs down.

cheaper to buy oil every couple of weeks than rebuild an engine..

lol true so how many hours would the 125 have b4 changing the ringz?

mate google the prices...or ebay.. or trading post....

changing rings...depends on ride your style mainly but i would stick to the maintenance schedule.. different bikes have different schedule

kk lol thanks dude but google dident help soo ill try the other 1ns

i got a honda cr125 2003 model. very reliable been rebuilt.. havnt had the experience that thump140 had. am selling it for $3400

heyy what about the ktm's? i cant find much information but how do the 125s go in power and reliability>?

a 125 is a 125, all brands around the same model are very similar in power
and usually there as reliable as you let them, unless you buy a lemon to start with

lol thanks sean ur always the first 1 to reply and with usefull information 2:p:D

any other info i need to know before i go and buy 1?

pete get me up2 date...what is the thing he said about a new thred?

Latest posts

Back