Clutch Basket Loose?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, will give that a go.... I tried that first, but when I put it all back together, the clutch didnt work...I had no lever resistance at all.. Maybe I had the little bearing push rod thing wrong...
Will dissasemble and have another go...

On another note, been looking for these "Clutch Rubbers" and cant seem to find any info at all.. Can not even see them on an exploded diagram of the clutch... Is it a part that can be replaced?
On another forum I have seen people mentioning you can replace them with a CRF70 Clutch Rubber, and it is much better... Any Ideas on this?
YX 160 Clutch Basket Rubbers

Use genuine Honda rubbers. There is a thread on here some where that goes into great detail on the process of doing it.

Just spoke with honda, doesn't look like you can order the rubbers/dampeners separately...
Would have to order the primary gear and/or basket as a whole...

At this point, guess I should just order a new clutch from DHZ and hope it doesnt happen again....

Unless someone has an old clutch basket from a CRF50 or CRF70 lying around they want to sell me?

Just spoke with honda, doesn't look like you can order the rubbers/dampeners separately...
Would have to order the primary gear and/or basket as a whole...

At this point, guess I should just order a new clutch from DHZ and hope it doesnt happen again....

Unless someone has an old clutch basket from a CRF50 or CRF70 lying around they want to sell me?

I got a stock YX160 clutch basket with plates and springs if your keen. In good condition. ;)

http://www.miniriders.com/mini-classifieds/36051-yx160-parts-sale.html

Hmmm... was leaning towards doing the Mod on my current clutch, or getting a brand new HD one from DHZ for $80...
Not sure about buying a 2nd hand china job, as I cant see the condition of the rubbers cause its a sealed unit....

Why not go the Kevlar route at the same time? Just a thought, makes buying oild for it a little cheaper too then...

timeeh... are you are tring to confuse me even more now? ha ha..
I have no idea to what you are reffering... do I need Kevlar Body Armour Now?

LOL Nah mate, i believe you can swap out the existing clutch plates with kevlar ones which in turn means you don't have to run mineral oil and they also should last a bit longer... I'm pretty sure iv'e seen it done on the YX motors but i could be wrong?? Somebody out there will correct me i'm sure, it was just a thought considering the clutch basket is already removed it may be worthwhile doing the upgrade at the same time??

I run semi sythetic in all my bikes and never had a problem in any of my pitty's. It has clutch additives in it.

I reckon it's better than mineral oil. Stops it getting quite as hot.

I guinea pigged Royal Purple 20w-50 full synthetic in my 155 for 10 hours not to long ago and did not have a prob at all, actually helped with the heat also like motorman said and it to was specially designed for wet motorcycle clutches, now im not reccomending as i dont want to be held responsible for anyones dramas, but it worked very well in the tropical heat at higher than normal operating temps, also at $22 a litre its a bit to expensive for a normal 5 hr change period(i ran it for 10 to see how it went at a longer interval)so im now after a slightly cheaper alternative. Hey motorman what is the type you run. PM me if you dont want it advertised mate.

I guinea pigged Royal Purple 20w-50 full synthetic in my 155 for 10 hours not to long ago and did not have a prob at all, actually helped with the heat also like motorman said and it to was specially designed for wet motorcycle clutches, now im not reccomending as i dont want to be held responsible for anyones dramas, but it worked very well in the tropical heat at higher than normal operating temps, also at $22 a litre its a bit to expensive for a normal 5 hr change period(i ran it for 10 to see how it went at a longer interval)so im now after a slightly cheaper alternative. Hey motorman what is the type you run. PM me if you dont want it advertised mate.

I'm also curious on this oil MM? Can you give us your secrets? :)

All good fella's. I have been using this oil for 10 years now without a problem in all my bikes.

It's Castrol Power 1 GPS. Part No: 3356036

https://www.ils.co.nz/b1webtools/catalog/partdetail.aspx?partno=119582

I think it's like $65 retail or so for 5 litres which isn't too bad. Can't reccommend this oil enough. I have never done a clutch yet using this stuff.

OK, well, got my clutch from Motorman (thanks) and put it in this morning.. runs schweet...

The old clutch seems to have no damping rubbers left whatsoever from the feel of it... the gear on the back and the basket move independently, which should not be the case...
Quite odd as I didnt notice the clutch to have a strange feel when riding... just could hear a small Clunk on accel & decel...

Im going to drill out the rivets and have a look just for curiosity.. will post some pics too incase anyone else comes across this problem and doesn't know what it is...

Latest posts

Back