clutch noise

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davespitty

Reaction score
Have asked this before but got no answers I have a brand new lifan 125cc and the clutch has been knocking but stops when I engage clutch noise stops but haven't even done 15 hrs yet getting beyond frustrated is there any tricks to taking of that side of the motor?
:confused-smiley-013

its easy to just have a look inside and see if you can spot anything wrong with it, first drain the oil and pull the cover off. If anything looks out of place then take a photo and consult us with it. The only thing I can really think of it being(but i am an amateur) is the bolts going through the clutch springs is loose. But don't thats only a guess. Maybe a vid of the noise aswell.

Got the side case off but the pegs are in the way so gotta loosen mounts and jack up motor to get the casing off but yeah will look for for obvious signs of loose anything, im gunna lock tight everything

When you get the case off pull the clutch plate off the clutch(4 screws) and see if the castle nut has come loose.

Here's a pic finally had a chance to get that plate off, is oil suppose to be in there? Cause that plate is sealed isn't it and that nut is tight

No signs of anything loose and found alloy paste under the face plate on the clutch, and some in the motor oil I'm ready to take it back this is bull****

how do you know its the clutch if you don't mind me asking? Might be something else, maybe to do with gears or something? Does it still nock when you decelerate? Might be something to do with putting load on the motor.
A trick to finding the location of a noise coming from the engine is to put a large flat head screw driver to your ear (the handle end) and touch the other end on different placed of the engine, you'll be able to hear everything moving around behind the cases.

how do you know its the clutch if you don't mind me asking? Might be something else, maybe to do with gears or something? Does it still nock when you decelerate? Might be something to do with putting load on the motor.
A trick to finding the location of a noise coming from the engine is to put a large flat head screw driver to your ear (the handle end) and touch the other end on different placed of the engine, you'll be able to hear everything moving around behind the cases.

see where the oil is (bottom right) no silver in the oil but there was in the sump but the stuff found in the clutch was like a steel paste ? But yeah my old man showed me how to do that screwdriver trick I definitely know noise is coming from the clutch cause when I engage it the noise stops
http://www.flickr.com/photos/87590194@N06/8055782759/

hmm, thats an od one. I know china oil is rubbish but that is unexpected, was it grainy? As for the knocking noise, that's for the guru's which im not, rotn50's a clever one, maybe he'll know haha

in your pic, you can see the clutch, look to the left a little.
see that big gear, that is the primary starting gear, with the alloy centre riveted to it
that could be the noise, there are rubbers inside it that can give up.
there is a thread here that explains how to pull it apart and replace the rubbers with used honda ones.
otherwise just replace it with another china one and the noise should go.

that paste you found behind that alloy plate is friction material off the clutch plates and oil mixed together, totally normal.
and yes the clutch plates and clutch are supposed to be oiled up, otherwise it woudnt work.
have you ever heard of a wet clutch setup, because that is what these motors have.

So when you pull the clutch in the noise stops, when you let the clutch out the noise starts, without pulling the clutch in give it some revs past idle, does it still knock then.
And as the boys said its fine to have oil in behind the clutch plate as when it spins the heavy metals find there way to the side, this prevents the crank from getting any impurities in the oil galleries, so your clutch basically put is your oil filter.

Last edited:
Cool I'll have a look this arvo and hopefully have success thanks heaps for the help guys

that countershaft flywheel, if it is making the noise, might be a warranty thing if it's close on new?
might be worth talking to the shop you bought it from?

Yeah I will and to make things worse the hydraulic clutch just blew a seal I might get a cable and lever

But the knock is only happening at idle just tried to run the bike and the knock stops when rev'd up

Sounds like the clutch rubbers to me aswell, same thing has happened to me with my daytona. If yours isn't covered by warranty then you should look at getting Honda rubber if you can afford them.

Latest posts

Back