crankcase and cover crack

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That debris is fairly common in China motors ... especially blown up one's ... :boom:

You'd be best to disassemble the motor first to assess the extent of the damage before deciding whether to rebuild/repair or cut your losses and buy a newer , better motor ...

That case half is a right side centre case ... You might be able to find a good used clutch cover case somewhere ...

The main thing to watch for is what type of bearing is on the countershaft of your engine as Sean has said ... I'd assume they'd all run the needle roller bearing on the bare shaft just like Lifan 150's and the newer KLX YX 150/160's and Zongshens do ...

iv had success using devcon to repair cracks like the one in the clutch cover... isnt all that structural in tht area (apart from kick starter) so it may work for a while and cut some $$ outlay down

thanks for the replies guys i think a new engine will be a last resort as this model atomic nitrous 150cc only sell for around $500-$600 and that is what a 150cc engine will set me back the whole bike only cost me $170 besides the engine needing work it is only missing the rear mud guard and front forks are leaking (probably from the long trip home without one of those wheel to mud guard braces) so im willing to spend a couple hundred to get this engine repaired but im hopping it will be repaired better than a new atomik from the factory so the same thing doesnt happen again i have been looking everywhere online and have found a few shops including DHZ sell a upgrade to the original center right crankcase with one shaft of gears could this be all i need plus the daytona style clutch cover?

DIRTMAX YX 160CC 150CC ENGINE BOTTOM END UPGRADE KIT (eBay item 330498274478 end time 17-Feb-11 12:45:41 AEDST) : Cars, Bikes, Boats

im finding it very difficult to find a clutch cover but this one looks very simular at $99 plus $35 delivery
Works YX 150cc DTE-5 Clutch Cover (Daytona Type) - Pit Bike Engine Parts - CLUTCH KITS - Works YX 150cc DTE-5 Clutch Cover (Daytona Type) - TBolt USA, LLC

iv had success using devcon to repair cracks like the one in the clutch cover... isnt all that structural in tht area (apart from kick starter) so it may work for a while and cut some $$ outlay down

forgot to reply to your msg i tried kick starting the bike today the kick starter gears seem to be slipping and there is a lot of compression coming out of the crack while trying to kick over the bike

forgot to reply to your msg i tried kick starting the bike today the kick starter gears seem to be slipping and there is a lot of compression coming out of the crack while trying to kick over the bike

The gear teeth will be "ski-jumping" over each other because the shafts are being wedged apart ... IF you keep on kicking the danged thing over OR try to ride it you're going to stuff gear teeth up ... but chances are the previous owner has already done the damage in the same way ... As soon as you hear cases crack ... STOP kicking or riding the bike ... or pay the price ... LOL ...

Also by the colour of your oil ... the engine has been run with water in the crankcase ... so it 'aint lookin' too good at this point in time ...

Yes Devcon is super tough stuff ... I've used it countless times over the years (Titanium putty to repair dies , molds , plattens etc) ...

ahhh thanks for explaining the difference i assumed there was one type of YX150-160 engine and there were two types of right crankcases and covers but now i understand as my nephew has the YX160 KLX style on his dirtmax and i have the YX150 CRF style motor

there is a catch with ordering from these two chinese companies alexwarehouse wants $100 extra at check out for a low order fee and chinadirtbikeparts wants $200 extra on check out for the same reason now i am probably willing to pay the extra $100 as the parts are cheaper than buying from over here but without seeing the broken parts inside of the motor can someone confirm the parts below to be correct?

cheers

DAYTONA style YX 150 160 crankcase and cover DAYTONA cover YX 150 YX 160 DAYTONA engine right cover for YX 150 160 YX150-5 cover [S3426] - US$78.00 : Alexwarehouse Industrial LTD
YX dirt bike engine 160cc start gear YX 150 start gear YX 150 YX 160 start gear YX 150 YX 160 engine parts [S3210] - US$4.50 : Alexwarehouse Industrial LTD
YX dirt bike engine bridge gear YX 150 YX 160 bridge gear YX 150 bride gear YX 160 bride gear YX engine bride gear [S3211] - US$4.50 : Alexwarehouse Industrial LTD
YX dirt bike engine driven gear YX 150 160 driven gear YX 150 driven gear YX 160 driven gear YX dirt bike engine driven gear YX engine parts [S3212] - US$4.50 : Alexwarehouse Industrial LTD
YX 150 160 gasket kit genunie YX gasket YX 150 YX 160 gasket kit YX engine gasket genuine gasket kit from YX engine [S3371] - US$7.90 : Alexwarehouse Industrial LTD
YX 160 transmisstion shaft, YX 150 transmission shaft YX 160 YX 150 transmission shaft YX genuine engine transmission shaft [S3190] - US$24.00 : Alexwarehouse Industrial LTD

The clutch cover might possibly fit but the pic is showing it attached to a KLX type centre case ...

DAYTONA style YX 150 160 crankcase and cover DAYTONA cover YX 150 YX 160 DAYTONA engine right cover for YX 150 160 YX150-5 cover [S3426] - US$78.00 : Alexwarehouse Industrial LTD

Firepower (The_GDFP) will be able to verify everything and will know what parts off other CRF type motors you CAN use (most likely YX 140 kickstarter and tranny gears ...

He could also possibly be the lifesaver you need to help you get all the right parts ... He's probably either got them lying around or can get them ...

Those gears are for a KLX type engine ...

YX dirt bike engine 160cc start gear YX 150 start gear YX 150 YX 160 start gear YX 150 YX 160 engine parts [S3210] - US$4.50 : Alexwarehouse Industrial LTD

YX dirt bike engine bridge gear YX 150 YX 160 bridge gear YX 150 bride gear YX 160 bride gear YX engine bride gear [S3211] - US$4.50 : Alexwarehouse Industrial LTD

YX dirt bike engine driven gear YX 150 160 driven gear YX 150 driven gear YX 160 driven gear YX dirt bike engine driven gear YX engine parts [S3212] - US$4.50 : Alexwarehouse Industrial LTD

This gasket set is for a KLX type motor ...

YX 150 160 gasket kit genunie YX gasket YX 150 YX 160 gasket kit YX engine gasket genuine gasket kit from YX engine [S3371] - US$7.90 : Alexwarehouse Industrial LTD

This transmission is for a KLX type engine ...

YX 160 transmisstion shaft, YX 150 transmission shaft YX 160 YX 150 transmission shaft YX genuine engine transmission shaft [S3190] - US$24.00 : Alexwarehouse Industrial LTD

Just about all the wrong parts that'd really make you happy about wasting your cash ...

Last edited:
The clutch cover might possibly fit but the pic is showing it attached to a KLX type centre case ...

Firepower (The_GDFP) will be able to verify everything and will know what parts off other CRF type motors you CAN use (most likely YX 140 kickstarter and tranny gears ...

He could also possibly be the lifesaver you need to help you get all the right parts ... He's probably either got them lying around or can get them ...

Those gears are for a KLX type engine ...

This gasket set is for a KLX type motor ...

This transmission is for a KLX type engine ...

Just about all the wrong parts that'd really make you happy about wasting your cash ...

ah crap :( i found 2 blokes in the USA i think they are shops on planet minis they are both yet to get back to me on the case and cover im not sure if they will send the parts to australia i know the UKers wont

to get the low order from alexwarehouse or the other china shop order using msn, actually have a proper convo with them, that way you can verify everything item for item.. even get a gasket set and the tools required to complete the job...

actually i think the yx140 center case and gearbox is the same as the dt-5 150... same bore size.. but again you need to confirm the counter shaft bearing.

and as for the parts you need it seems we are going in circles... i outlined everything from alexwarehouse yonks ago lol..

ok if your going to brave the good ol china man then what you have linked above should be fine, however it lists yx160 so the main case might be wrong...

this is the case (from the selection) YX 140 YX 150 160 YX150-5 right crank case YX 150 YX 160 left crank case YX 150 crankcase YX genuine engine parts [S3133] - US$31.00 : Alexwarehouse Industrial LTD

YX 150 YX 160 right engine cover, genuine YX engine cover YX 150 YX 160 engine cover, YX 150 engine cover, YX 160 engine cover [S3189] - US$29.80 : Alexwarehouse Industrial LTD

buy some kicker gears too, no doubt they will have some nastys on them. 3 gears in total..

to get the low order from alexwarehouse or the other china shop order using msn, actually have a proper convo with them, that way you can verify everything item for item.. even get a gasket set and the tools required to complete the job...

actually i think the yx140 center case and gearbox is the same as the dt-5 150... same bore size.. but again you need to confirm the counter shaft bearing.

and as for the parts you need it seems we are going in circles... i outlined everything from alexwarehouse yonks ago lol..

thanks i will add them both to msn and see what they can do for me as for the tool i just called a couple of shops in sydney where i am one guy was clueless he said i could get the magneto tool at any auto shop the other guy wanted $90 for the 2 tools! i called the shop i had spoken to yesterday and the owner wasnt there so i have to call back untill than i cant see the damage inside but i do have the engine side covers off and holly crap the sprocket on the back of the clutch basket is munched so is the other sprocket touching this and the kick starter sprocket looks to be in good condition also the engine has takin on water through the head gasket and intake manifold there was signs of muddy water in the cylinder on the piston on the valves and in the inlet on the head and also inside of the valves where the stem i can see where the mud had burnt onto the cylinder wall but there is no scratching to the cylinder it is all smooth

here are the pictures i have for now the cylinder i could probably fix with very fine sand paper

Picture514.jpg

Picture518.jpg

Picture519.jpg

Picture520.jpg

Picture521.jpg

Picture523.jpg

Picture524.jpg

ah crap :( i found 2 blokes in the USA i think they are shops on planet minis they are both yet to get back to me on the case and cover im not sure if they will send the parts to australia i know the UKers wont

The_GDFP ... Firepower Minis will help you ...

here are the pictures i have for now the cylinder i could probably fix with very fine sand paper

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/Gazza2005au/Picture514.jpg[/IMG

[/QUOTE]

Yep you can clean the bore up by sanding it with dry wet/dry paper in a 45 degree cross hatch pattern ... or just get a light re-hone and fit new rings ...

She's had water thru 'er alright ...

The kick start idler gear has been ski-jumping ... and more than likely the small gear behind the clutch has teeth missing ... You can get that one on it's own and the idler looks like it'll clean up easily with a file and sandpaper but complete 3 gear sets are cheap enough ...

It actually helps to go over every single gear by hand and remove all sharp edges plus smooth out any obvious rough machining etc ...

Engineering firms lap new gears together as sets then blue check 'em for proper tooth contact ...

The_GDFP hasn't actually said it in this thread but the key slots on chinese flywheels are all over the place ... so with a fixed ignition system it's a lucky dip chance that you'll either get a good one that miraculously has the timing advance set in the right place OR one that's too advanced ... enough to cause case breaking kick back ...

Long stroke motors are particularly critical when it comes to timing ... the longer stroke drives the bike harder in a forward direction ... but it also drives the crank back harder in a kick back ...

I've seen a new Lifan 150 that came stock with a Lifan 140 fixed flywheel and stator ignition ... it broke the kicker gears AND twisted the kick start lever in a very short time ...

The gears were replaced and the owner was warned not to even bother attempting to start it ... until the timing was checked with a timing light and the pickup retard mod done OR better still a proper Lifan 150 adjustable ORK fitted and timed right ...

The advice was ignored and a repeat scenario ensued ... only THIS time the centre case was cracked as well as the brand new gear set destroyed ... Some mothers DO have 'em ...

Stock YX ignitions are known to be problematic junk ... and Lifan 140's were also known to bust gears due to the fixed ignition ... that's WHY Lifan went to an adjustable ORK when they built their 150 ...

The point I'm getting at is that there's no point in repairing the damage (END RESULT) if you're not going to rectify the CAUSE ...

Last edited:
also the engine has takin on water through the head gasket and intake manifold there was signs of muddy water in the cylinder on the piston on the valves and in the inlet on the head and also inside of the valves where the stem i can see where the mud had burnt onto the cylinder wall but there is no scratching to the cylinder it is all smooth

After reading the above info ... I'm starting to get the feeling that the bike was submerged underwater thru some clown crashing into a creek or similar ... then they've attempted to kick start it and the cylinder has copped hydraulic lock being full of water ... and THAT is what has caused the destruction ...

If so the engine has probably copped a cold shock from being chilled at full operating temperature and will have unseen damage ... ie warping and even possibly a bent conrod ...

It'd help to have known all that before this thread was even started ... A new motor is lookin' like a pretty good solution ATM ...

$50 for BOTH tools delivered to your door ... then you can either keep 'em for future use ... OR sell 'em to get some of your cash back ...

FLYWHEEL STATOR OIL SLING CLUTCH REMOVE TOOL PITBIKE (eBay item 130322078049 end time 22-Feb-11 02:36:25 AEDST) : Cars, Bikes, Boats

Last edited:
guys thanks for helping me through this whole process i took the engine into a DHZ dealer today there DHZ clutch tool didnt fit but the mechanic improvised and got the clutch basket nut off along with the magneto i returned home started pulling the engine apart and there was another 4 point bolt to undo and while trying to pull the crank cases apart i chipped the piston so it might be the heat getting to me 42c or this engine is just junk im coming to the conclusion both are correct lol what should i do now? i have a 5-6 year old CRF50 style bike out the back it hasnt been under cover so it has seen all outdoor conditions and hasnt been started in 3-4 years and has no oil it all dripped out from a very slow oil leak this motor is a 110cc semi automatic with electric start and ignition do u think if i hot wire the ignition (we lost the key when we moved 12 months ago) and disconnect the electric start that this engine will fit into the atomic nitrous? the other option would be to put some money into a crap 125cc engine $275 and let someone else ride the bike when we go riding for both the above options or i could spend a little money and drop a 160-175cc engine in it and go all out? if i was to go the cheaper option of installing the 110-125cc i would be buying another bike for my self as i kind of like the new atomic 160cc mid size bikes can these be upgraded to the 200cc big bore? as my nephew and my self would love to have a couple of 200cc pit bikes
Picture440.jpg

Picture504.jpg

ok, iv only skipped over the above posts and sorta stopped as soon as you said and posted pics of the drowned top end...

i wouldnt chance repairing this engine unless it was a major rebuild.. and i mean major..
new crank for one
new main bearings
new barrel/cylinder (its not repairable by sanding it and will have rust pitts in it.)
at least check out the head.. specially the valve guides and valve stems...
check the cam lobes and rocker faces for wear.(i could bet this has been cooked too)
then theres the new kicker gears as yours are r00ted, then the cases and anything else you find along the way...

cut your loses and replace the engine, even if its for a very well known or guaranteed secondhand one..

zonger140's are pretty cheap now.. or the yx140 a bit cheaper i think..

but please dont waste anymore money

Latest posts

Back