crankcase and cover crack

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gazza2003au

Reaction score
i just picked up a 150cc bike the engine has a pretty big crack in the right crankcase going onto the right cover as well can anyone tell me what caused this crack? its located on the back of the engine i will post up a picture if needed
and can anyone tell me where to get replacement parts i have already looked on the DHZ web site i can see there is a upgrade kit assuming this is for the kick starter? but they dont have the clutch cover

Pic might be bit helpful and for spare check out eBay or classified on here might get bit cheaper

Id be pulling her apart and looking at kick starter gears and other internal stuff that could be fingered.
I wouldnt weld it.

Prob safer to buy new parts

And as dhz looks like been kicked wrong or drooped hard on rock but could of been a number of things

thanks for the replies i will be pulling the motor a part just trying to figure out where to get the parts from OZ or overseas and im still trying to find the crankcase and cover but not having much luck with google

Definatly an issue with the kick starting technique. Id say the kick starter gears would be ordinary. pull her down

A flywheel mod, if it has the smaller outer-rotor most YX's come with, helps kickback, but it's still inexcusable that one has to defend an engine by saying it's being kicked wrong. Pure BS.

There will be additional cracks in the inner case area too. Likely buggered gears as well.

there was a seller on ebay selling both these cases but i cant locate them..

best bet would be to bite the bullet and ring atomik, they should have these as its there engine and they were known for the issue. last one i repaired i had to purchase a dead engine with good cases..

on a side note, cost to repair it may cost same or similar to a new engine..

if i was repairing it for someone, id want to replace the complete gearbox too just for piece of mind.
only takes a small chip on the gears and it all goes down hill from there, and quickly..

the crack is cause by kick back.. usually by the operators carelessness.. usually people go for the piss weak kick and it kicks back while they still leave their foot on the kick starter fully engaged..
some engines chew the kicker gears, some engines blow the cases apart..

ok if your going to brave the good ol china man then what you have linked above should be fine, however it lists yx160 so the main case might be wrong...

this is the case (from the selection) YX 140 YX 150 160 YX150-5 right crank case YX 150 YX 160 left crank case YX 150 crankcase YX genuine engine parts [S3133] - US$31.00 : Alexwarehouse Industrial LTD

YX 150 YX 160 right engine cover, genuine YX engine cover YX 150 YX 160 engine cover, YX 150 engine cover, YX 160 engine cover [S3189] - US$29.80 : Alexwarehouse Industrial LTD

buy some kicker gears too, no doubt they will have some nastys on them. 3 gears in total..

thanks sean01 the seller last night said he had been trying to start the bike but the crack got bigger so i reckon that is the cause but bugger i could have salvaged the cover ah well the damamge is done and i now need to rebuild it and im going to have fun doing it i need to source the tools to pull the magneto,oil sling,clutch basket i would have went to DHZ but they are closed for another 2 weeks i can wait that long so i need more options i will google and yellowpage shops shortly i will post pics of all the damaged parts when i get around to pulling it down

forgot to mention... im 99% sure there are 2 versions of cases in these engines just like the yx (klx) engines.. small and big counter shaft bearing..

let us know if you need a hand locating anything else mate..

Yep if an engine is kickin' back ... FIX IT by retarding the ignition ... or develop a cautious and religious after TDC kicking regime ...

If a new engine kicks back ... stop trying to start it and take it back to the seller because it has the timing too advanced ...

It was 4322g (Just Ride) who had those CRF style YX150 cases listed on ebay ...

forgot to mention... im 99% sure there are 2 versions of cases in these engines just like the yx (klx) engines.. small and big counter shaft bearing..

let us know if you need a hand locating anything else mate..

Yep if an engine is kickin' back ... FIX IT by retarding the ignition ... or develop a cautious and religious after TDC kicking regime ...

If a new engine kicks back ... stop trying to start it and take it back to the seller because it has the timing too advanced ...

It was 4322g (Just Ride) who had those CRF style YX150 cases listed on ebay ...

thanks to you both :) would this be the left or right engine casing? $70 yikkes! i will be grabbing that if it fits my bike!
NEW YX 150CC DAYTONA COPY ENGINE CENTER CASING (eBay item 130357501794 end time 02-Feb-11 20:27:41 AEDST) : Cars, Bikes, Boats

thanks i should have my engine pulled down in a couple of days hopefully i called one of the DHZ dealers crossup motorcycles as the DHZ factory is closed the guy on the phone was nice and said he will remove the magneto,oil sling and clutch basket for $10 cant beat that price :) and they are only 20mins drive from me

i think there could be more damage it was to hot today to pull the motor apart it has cooled down a little now in sydney so i removed the oil filter and cover to find a lot of metal

Last edited:
metal in there is usual if the dipsht was starting it and riding it.. the water however isnt good..

rule number 1 when buying a bike... dip the oil and check its colour...lol

i think its actually safer to buy an engine mate... you could be chasing problems for ever here

Latest posts

Back