Desperately need help with pit bike

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
unfortunately you could of saved yourself some pain just by borrowing/buying a multimeter and testing your stator..

on the up side, at least you know you have good cdi's and coils lol..

hang in there mate you'll be happy in the end

Ok well where do I go from here??????? Do I need a new stator, is there some way I can test it to make sure I don't goof up like I just did...........I really at this point just want to bang my head against the bike hahaha

testing the stator has already been explained to you...

i wouldn't be doing or buying another thing till you have done this..

i have run home made gaskets to get me out of trouble plenty of times, without a problem
in fact some are still there years later, lol
maybe wet them up with some oil to help them seal.
how accurate did you make their shape?

what gap do you have on the stators' pulse pickup to the flywheel?
pull the cover off the lh side of the motor , sprocket side (2 or 3 bolts usually) and have a look at the small black magnetic pickup to the rh side of the flywheel,
there will be a green and a blue (or white with blue stripe) wire coming out of it
turn the motor over by hand and check the gap when the little bump is lined up with the pickup. it should be about .12mm or a slightly bigger gap, just enough so it doesnt touch
these 2x things will give you the best spark

do you have a multimeter? if you dont, grab a cheapy ( under $10 from your local hardware or electronics shop)
if so check the measurement of the pickup running off the stator
set the multimeter to 200 Ohms,
unplug the wiring coming from the stator and put 1 lead from the multimeter to the green wire the other lead to the blue or the white with blue stripe
(depending on your wiring colours)
you should get a reading of approximately 100 - 130 Ohms give or take..., if so that is good
if not within that range, and you get a high reading or low reading you need a new stator or just the pickup at the least

with the sparking issue,
what size gap are you running on the spark plug? .7mm or .6mm recommended
pull the plug out and kick it over with the plug still connected to the coil and the plugs' electrode sitting on the motor, a bolt that holds a side cover on is a good earth usually.
check for a good blueish spark.
a faint tiny yellow spark is no good,
sometimes i need to cover the bike with a rug/blanket to make it dark and put your head under to actually see the spark it is so bad/faint
could mean you have a faulty coil, a faulty coil earth (take it off and rub back any paint under the mount with coarse sandpaper to help the coil earth properly)
a faulty spark plug lead,
a faulty cdi,
a faulty kill switch (you can just unplug it, then kick start it to see if it makes a difference, then plug it back in to turn the motor off)

post up your findings

craig

Im sorry I forgot that you had posted that....alright well I will see if a neighbor has a multimeter if not, I will go get a cheap one, Im sorry i don't mean to be annoying, I just grabbed a multimeter from the neighbor, that probably would have been easier than ordering cdi, and coil ohhhhhh we'll, can't change the past. just gotta figure out how to use it now, its an old sears one

Edit:well I used the multimeter, but it isn't giving me an accurate reading, It has settings rx1,rx10,rx100,rx1k,rx10k, no matter which one I set it to it pops to the same point on the meter, even rx1, it pops to the one on the meter instead of 80, which is the reading I'm getting with rx100, time to find a functioning multimeter

Last edited:
you could have tested the coil too if you had a multimeter earlier

try earthing the green from the coil,and the green from the stator directly to the motor somewhere
then kick it over and check for spark.
did you try throwing a rug/blanket over the motor to make it dark enough to see a spark when you kick it over??

with the multimeter readings, try this
when you set it to rx100, it should read 1 without the leads touching anything
then try putting the 2x leads from the multimeter together, it should read 0 or even .2, .3 .4 etc or close to it
this will show you the meter is working, sometimes a flat battery in the multimeter will give you funny readings too.

Last edited:
it reads 0 with them touching but does nothing when they aren't touched, Ill just find a different one

sounds like it may be working? just a bit different the the ones we use here in Aus.
put each lead to the 2x coil wires in the plastic plug,
you should get around .8 or 1
this check will give you an idea if the meter works correctly or not

That is what happens no matter what setting I have it on, if i put it to the two leads coming from the stator it always pops between .8ish-1

the battery is flat in the multimeter for starters, replace that and try again

Alright replaced the battery, and now when set to 200 it starts at one and stays there when made contact with the red/black, and blue/white wire.

ok once the new battery is in the meter, re-read this,
i have edited it a bit to help you understand it a bit better.

what gap do you have on the stators' pulse pickup to the flywheel?
Pull the cover off the lh side of the motor , sprocket side (2 or 3 bolts usually) and have a look at the small black magnetic pickup to the rh side of the flywheel,
turn the motor over by hand and check the gap when the little bump is lined up with the pickup.
it should be about .12mm or a slightly bigger gap, just enough so it doesnt touch

grab the multimeter, set it to 200 Ohms, check the meter, it should now read 1 with the 2x leads not touching,
touch the 2x leads together now, it should read somewhere between .4 - 1.00, if so then you can go to the next step,

unplug the wiring coming from the stator and put 1 lead from the multimeter to the Green wire the other lead to the Blue/white stripe or the White with blue stripe
(depending on your wiring colours)
you should get a reading of approximately 100 - 130 Ohms give or take..., if so that is good
if not within that range, and you get a higher reading or low reading you need a new stator or just the pickup at the least

post up your findings

craig

Last edited:
alright my reading is 98, should this be enough to throw it off??

that is a perfectly normal reading,
do you have the cover off the electrics side of the motor?
how big is the gap between the black pulse pickup coil, on the r/h side of the flywheel and the bump on the flywheel?
you will need to turn the flywheel around to line it up, there is a small metal tag on the black pickup coil on the flywheel side of it.
check the gap between there and the bump with feeler gauges

now set the meter to 2000 Ohms
put 1 lead from the meter to the black with a red stripe, and the other lead to the green
you should get a reading somewhere around 350 - 400

Last edited:
well we are in good shape there, I got a reading of 380, how do I test the cdi and the coil, the old coil is still on there along with the old cdi, I know the new cdi has something wrong with it because with the new one, I get nothing. But with the old one it will start up and shut down like in the video. how do I test the coil with the multimeter?

Edit: with the multimeter set to 200ohm I get a reading of 00.5 is this normal?

Last edited:
if you get a reading close to the above post, all is good with the stator

next thing to check is the wiring to the cdi
check the same colour wires in the above post at the cdi to see if you are getting power to it
it may be a faulty plug between the stator and the cdi somewhere
i have fixed a few of them, the china brass terminals inside are crap quality and can spread and not make good contact

to test the coil, unplug it from the cdi wiring
to test the low side, put the multimeter to 200 Ohms
connect 1x lead from meter to black/yellow wire coming off the coil, other lead to the green, it should read around 1 OHM give or take

then to check the high side, set the meter to 20K,
put 1x lead to the black/yellow, the other end need to go to the end of the spark plug lead,
you will need to unscrew the plastic cap off the end of the lead first though
you should get a reading around 3 on the meter

Last edited:
sounds like the plastic wiring plug may have a bad terminal in it that plugs into the cdi
it could be giving you an intermittant connection

Im not getting any reading its just staying at one at the connector to the cdi

Edit:its 00.5 at 200ohm, and its just staying at one for 2kohm from the black/yellow to the connection at the end of the plug

Last edited:
sorry ive given you a bum-steer on testing the high side of the coil

set the meter to 20k and check it

i will edit the above post too

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back