For Those about to Rock... buying OKO Flatslides..

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
they site aint cheap what is like 14.50 for a freakin main jet rip off much....i thought dhz was expensive at 5 bucks

mate dont ever buy a genuine keihin jet then.. ha ha..
i just figured it would be a handy link to have, as satchy said, it might be good for parts that ebay doesnt stock..

i come across that link myself the other night. and thought the general pricing was pretty good.
and their quality looks really good....

if anyone buys a carb from them shoot up a review hey!!!

hello thump, i purchased a 26mm oko flatside
and i am experiencing problems in keeping the throttle cable inside the white plastic bit
and i also have the problem when i twist the throttle the white piece of plastic will move up inside the but the slide will not move with it. Im just wondering if im doing sumthing wrong or is there anything special to do.
Cheers

ok so allot of people seem to be having trouble mounting the cable.

this is how it's done, it has to seat into the groove at the bottom of the slide, then the white plastic bit slides over it to hold it in place. see the last pic that's how it should look before you put it back in the carby, note you can see the very tip of the cable sticking out a little bit.

img0450w.jpg

img0451a.jpg

img0452h.jpg

I've found to run the oko flatty with a 1/4 turn throttle you need to modify the throttle cable to give you enough freeplay, otherwise the slide is held open halfway and it's a bitch to the cable into the seat, I cut about 20mm off mine.

but don't race out and cut 20mm off your cables people, just go little bit at a time until you have the perfect length, you want a bout 2mm of freeplay in the cable once it's all put together, then you adjust the freeplay out using the tensioner on the throttle.

after you cut the cable down you need to wrap some electrical tape around the tip to replace the metal tip, if anyone knows how to attach a metal tip plz let me know.

img0453we.jpg

img0454.jpg

img0455s.jpg

i can tell you one thing 1/8 tunr throttle work real good woth these carbs

didnt have to modify my cable at all just my throttle tube which would probly be easier than cutting your cable housing

can you explain how you did that mod? drill a new cable mount hole higher up?
any chance of getting a pic of this mod? it would be way better not having to cut the cable housing

ok, i think iv stumbled across something that may be important when it comes to buying an oko carb...

there seems to be 2 styles of pwk/oko carbs kicking around on the net...
both of which have different fuel bowls.

one bowl you will notice the lack of the big nut bung in the fuel bowl (this is the type i have) they also have a rubber gasket under the throttle plate..

this style is suspect to me in the fact that the bowl doesnt allow the use of long hex jets.(problem tunning)
so when buying a carb from other than DHZ make sure it has the fuel bowl with the nut.
CIMG0203.jpg

im going to see if the bowls are interchangeable and see if it corrects my issues.
as im guessing i cant be alone with the problems i am having...
the guy i bought my carb from sold quite a few, so there out there.

also i have come across this 21mm oko that may be suitable for crf50 with BBK's OKO Vergaser 21mm CPI Aragon Freaky GTR Hussar Olliver - eBay Motor- Antriebsteile, Roller-Teile, Motorrad- Kraftradteile, Auto Motorrad Teile. (end time 04-Nov-09 19:53:27 AEDST)
21mm OKO flatslide Power jet Carburetor scooter ATV:eBay Motors (item 230384779036 end time Nov-03-09 20:09:11 PST)

Hmm... wonder if that answers the question someone else was posting awhile back, who had an OKO flatslide, but was running mikuni/molkt style jets in it...
There is also a third type of float bowl, which is a clear plastic type, as sold on the OKO Australia website. Brilliant idea i reckon, at a glance you can check float levels, and see if there is crap in the float bowl...
Plastic and petrol, however, dont usually mix all that well, longterm...
88kitted CRF with a 21mm flatslide? that would rip pretty good i reckon... :D OKO australia also sells a 22mm flatty... which would probably be a great addition to a 90-110-stock 125 motor...

i can tell you one thing 1/8 tunr throttle work real good woth these carbs

didnt have to modify my cable at all just my throttle tube which would probly be easier than cutting your cable housing
PBK can you post up pics and an explanation on this one??
can you explain how you did that mod? drill a new cable mount hole higher up?
any chance of getting a pic of this mod? it would be way better not having to cut the cable housing
^^^+1 what he said... i'd like to see a simple fix that can be done without the need for cutting cables, sourcing cables with longer inner cable, or grinding away at the throttle housings...

yeah thump*, your probly thinking about my thread i had up regarding carb issue's...
iv been diggin around on the net trying to confirm some things...

i just spoke to akunar, which has confirmed most of my concerns.
he said he has and has had terrible examples of the oko and the pwk carbs which he will be discontinuing soon.
and guess what the buyer i got mine from was just reselling akunar parts on ebay...so this confirms that i have one of akunars soon to be discontinued 28mm pwk's..

the ones at the top of his list in the carb section are actually made by keihin but are sold out the back door if you know what i mean...so quality is equal to the real deal...

^^^hmm..... that may explain why the 26mm flatties seem to be leaps and bounds ahead of the 28's in regards to ease of tuning, reliability and consistency in running... putting my 28 and 26 side by the side, the 26mm *looks* to be of much better quality in build, finish and metal grade...
am starting to think there is a good reason, other than import tariffs for some of the "cheaper" 28mm OKO's out there... But does explain why the 26mm is literally a "plug and play" on just about every bike it's bolted onto, without much tuning and rejetting involved. eg: when you can bolt the same type of carby, with identical jetting, to either a 140cc horizontal with minimum mods, or a 250cc upright with a few breathing mods, not change the jetting, but still get bang-on results??? i'm guessing the 26mm version is the one sold out the back door of Keihin...
$120 for a "genuine" Keihin 26mm Flatslide carby with adaptor and cables etc? Sounds like a win to me..
Wonder whether the 28mm PWK/Crappy OKO was similar to the one NRG was posting all the horror stories about? Mine was hard to tune INITIALLY, but has not caused a hiccup since... and given the bike goes months without being ridden, surely the "issue" with rubber seal on the throttle plate would have raised it's head by now...
Can see a few people going through OKO Australia direct in the future, especially for the bigger than 26mm versions...

are you talking about the 26mm oko from dhz for 120?

from the moment i purchased my 28mm carb these are things iv noticed wrong with it compared to a good pwk 28mm that works good.
1. the emulsion tube is different (only 6 holes instead of 8)
2. the bowl which has 2 effects...lower fuel volume and can only run short jets..
3. wrong needle (can live with that tho)
4. it had a non chrome d-slide
5. choke mech was bodgy

everything else about it is ok...
so far i have changed the needle and d-slide which made it go from an unusable state to a very usuable state, only problem im faced with now is the bog spot of idle and i have tried pilots from 36 all the way up to 58.
52 works the best with the mixture screw at approx 1 3/4 turns

im probly banging my head against the wall with this carb but it is one of those things that ya just cant let beat you

are you talking about the 26mm oko from dhz for 120?

from the moment i purchased my 28mm carb these are things iv noticed wrong with it compared to a good pwk 28mm that works good.
1. the emulsion tube is different (only 6 holes instead of 8)
2. the bowl which has 2 effects...lower fuel volume and can only run short jets..
3. wrong needle (can live with that tho)
4. it had a non chrome d-slide
5. choke mech was bodgy

everything else about it is ok...
so far i have changed the needle and d-slide which made it go from an unusable state to a very usuable state, only problem im faced with now is the bog spot of idle and i have tried pilots from 36 all the way up to 58.
52 works the best with the mixture screw at approx 1 3/4 turns

im probly banging my head against the wall with this carb but it is one of those things that ya just cant let beat you

i know the feeling mate, i persisted with my 28 long after i should have. got the better of me, and became a vendetta i finally won, after a duel on a dyno machine.. heh heh.. mine still has a bit of a dead spot, but it's easily bypassed with a flick of the clutch, and it only occurs if you try to slowly wind the throttle on from just above idle... engine sits there going barp-b-b-b-b--barp-barp-b-b-b-b-barp... flick of clutch and hold it open and it revs clean from idle to redline... *not* a good trials bike carby.. ha ha..
I think the emulsion tubes, and lack of holes is part of the reason they dont work very well with a four stroke engine... generally fourstrokes running these types of carbies require roughly twice as many holes in the emulsion tubes as it would on a two stroke... and i have seen any sort of information stating that these carbies were actually designed for use on horizontal fourtstroke motors... as far as i have seen, they're actually designed for two stroke motors 85cc and above, mostly 125cc two stroke scooter engines... so theoretically, from the factory the emulsion tubes may not be up to par....

oh, and yes, i was referring to the 26mm OKO kits from DHZ. pretty much everyone i've spoken to that's bought one, regardless of what bike it's gone into, has had pretty much "plug and play" results with them... seem to be a far different animal from the 28mm... :(

yeah well i fitted a 30mm oko from dhz to a yx150 klx style engine(dont ask, the owner wanted it and couldnt be told)
but yeah a simple jet change and it was as good as gold... and surprisingly it didnt feel that bad despite the size. it was responsive and still good down low...overall it was a pissa...

so going back to the 28mm, i dont think its the size in general making it hard to tune, i think its more the fact that probly 1 in 20 or so carbs are going to have issue's...

and i would choose a 28mm over a 26 all day everyday... 26's just dont cut it for me

yeah i'm not convinced it's the size of the 28's that makes them hard to tune either, i think it's the build quality, or lack thereof... if it was purely size related, then the 28 would have worked better than the 26 did on my blitz... theoretically... hmm... wonder what a 30mm KOSO or one from OKO OZ would go like on the blitz... with clear float bowl... hmm... thinking thinking... ;)

thump the possibly genuine keihin carbys from akunar are different to the oko's we get from DHZ, they have keihin stamped on them. *If they really are genuine then that's a bloody good deal, I might have to hurry up and grab myself a 24mm from them incase the "truck" decides to lock it's door ;)

thump* i have fitted a koso 32mm to a china 250 full size bike.... the bike is absolute rubbish but it loved the carb.... really responsive and top end to the moon once geared right...

Latest posts

Back