installing a headlight kit to my gpx150cc motor

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you might have to look pretth hard it will be pretty short and tucked away somewhere.

not to inturupt but just a good on you to poulsen8r on walkin you thru this. its not easy to help someone without seeing a problem, and i think pouls. is doin a fantastic job. You(wha77) SHOULD try and get a few pictures, that way in the future this post can be refered to as help for other members wanting to do the same thing and experiancing the same dramas.

good on you both. this is what forum work is all about.

dont forget to do a quick write up at the end and give some conclusion to the problem. Soo many threads get completed without ever knowing exactly what was done..

sp33d

i just got my old dead 140cc lifan motor out of the cupboard it has a green wire,blue wire, black wire,one yellow and one white, but my gpx motor has a green wire,blue wire, black wire,2 yellow wire s

yeah mate all i can see is the same wires, but yeah like i just said i got my old liffan motor here all wires coming from exact place but on the lifan motor where the white wire as well as the yellow wire come from is exact where both wires come from on my gpx motor(motor im using) does that help at all?

Yeah hopefully once this is sorted i'll have enough info to write a full tutorial for all GPX owners. It's new information to me that GPX motors have a charging circuit built in.

OK i was really expecting a white wire under there somewhere. Hmmm... this is getting a little difficult for me lol. Well the way I see it now we have 2 options:

1. Connect both the yellow wires to the rectifier and see what kind of output voltage we get.
2. Connect one yellow wire to the rectifier and the white wire from the rectifier to earth.

If it was my motor i would just try option 1 first but i have to say that there is a chance it will fry your regulator. Option 2 is just a mess in terms of wiring layout and earthing so im worried it could do more damage than option 1...

Don't happen to have a flywheel puller lying around? lol. I'm just trying to get as much info as possible before doing anything... If you feel like going ahead with option 1 i can give you a wiring diagram and stuff to sort you out.

OK i was really expecting a white wire under there somewhere. Hmmm... this is getting a little difficult for me lol. Well the way I see it now we have 2 options:

1. Connect both the yellow wires to the rectifier and see what kind of output voltage we get.
2. Connect one yellow wire to the rectifier and the white wire from the rectifier to earth.

If it was my motor i would just try option 1 first but i have to say that there is a chance it will fry your regulator. Option 2 is just a mess in terms of wiring layout and earthing so im worried it could do more damage than option 1...

Don't happen to have a flywheel puller lying around? lol. I'm just trying to get as much info as possible before doing anything... If you feel like going ahead with option 1 i can give you a wiring diagram and stuff to sort you out.

lol na i dont have a fly wheel puller if i fry my voltage reg do u reckon supercheap or anywhere like that sells them lol

Where abouts are you located? They are around 15 to 20 bucks. Most mini/chinese bike shops probably sell them. you can get them online.

i just tried connecting yellow wires to both yellow and white ones, only th park lamp work but it doesnt seem like voltage is regulated becuse when u give it a rev its gettin almost as bright as a headlight bulb lol

Yeah it will do that unless you have a battery. But that sounds good it would mean that there is a DC voltage coming from the rectifier now! Yay! can you test it with a multimeter? like the positive on the red wire and the negative on the frame or motor? You will have to use DC voltage now. tell me what it says at idle and just give it a small rev and see what it goes up too

8.2 at idle and up to about 40 with i rev lol is that bad lol but if i plug the light in it semas to work but only one light

Back