installing a headlight kit to my gpx150cc motor

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK yeah i think thats not good lol. 40V is ridiculous. Do you have a car(or motorbike) battery around?

yeah got a car one why what u thinkin? and it doesnt bother me if we wreak anythin in thr progress lol i just want to try to get it workin lol

in that case get the hammer... nah jokes. Well my thoughts are:

The battery acts like a regulator also... Even if you test your car battery with the car off it will read around 12-13 volts but when you start the car it goes up to 14-15. If there was someway to connect it to a battery we could see if that rectifier output voltage is good enough to keep the battery around 14-15 volts. You might need another set of hands though to hold the wires on the batter and one hold the multimeter

Oh... And if there is anyone on here who has successfully wired lights to the standard stator on a GPX 150 can you lend us hand please... I hope your not just sitting there laughing: "I'll let him struggle for a while and then take over" that would be sad...

up near where my standard cdi goes there is a spare two pin plug with a green wire and a black wire is that for anything u know of?

Probably for a Key or secondary kill switch. The green gire goes to earth and the black wire goes to the cdi... Uhhh need some new ideas... Yay got one! Can you test the whole lighting kit for me? Like just hook it up to that spare car battery you have and make sure all the lights work?

Oh... And if there is anyone on here who has successfully wired lights to the standard stator on a GPX 150 can you lend us hand please... I hope your not just sitting there laughing: "I'll let him struggle for a while and then take over" that would be sad...

if thats at me i dont know shite about wiring im sorry.. but i am laughin cos i reckon its great ya both workin at it so well lol. ya need to restrict that 40v peak somehow.. capacitor/battery.. SMALL battery tucked away someware..

if thats at me i dont know shite about wiring im sorry.. but i am laughin cos i reckon its great ya both workin at it so well lol. ya need to restrict that 40v peak somehow.. capacitor/battery.. SMALL battery tucked away someware..

Nah it wasnt actually directed at anyone lol... Yeah lack of battery is an issue... But if we can atleast get the whole thing working we can sort that out later.

lol thats true and i am so glad that somebody is kind enough to spend their time on a weekend tryin to help me

i tried hookin the lights up to a car battery they work but only if i put power to them after the voltage regulator, if i hook battery up to the vlotage regulator it doesnt do anything

OK yeah i think thats not good lol. 40V is ridiculous. Do you have a car(or motorbike) battery around?

reading through this, and while i cant help much on the wiring, i can say 40v is no problem, its an alternator.

a car alternatr can easily spit out 240 volts, but the trick is that
THE ac voltage from the alternator(or stator plate/windings on the bike engine) is first ran through a diode bridge, or RECTIFIER, to convert AC to DC. cars have the diodes built into the alternator.(and the dc voltage after rectifying is higher again...40 ac would be roughly 60 dc)

the DC output of the rectifier is then fed into the REGULATOR, which (obviously:p) regulates the voltage to 12v (it should actually be 14.4 volts for charging a lead acid battery...2.2 volts per cellx6 cells)

dont hook ac straight to the battery. and dont hook anything over 15v to the battery, else youll be making a bloody mess and sulfuric acid loves to burn things:)

with my bikes though, yellow has always been a fairly constant 12v ac, which is for the head/tail light. dont take my word for it though. if the yellow wire read more than 12v between it and either the frame(earth) or the other yellow, it will need rectifying and regulating. i havent got a gpx 150 to be definite.

Yeah We are getting 40VDC after the rectifier which is craphouse no matter what way you look at it. Yeah not having my own GPX is a mega problem for me too... hey Headsmess do your bikes have both yellow aswell or do they have a white and a yellow?

if they are both yellow.. one HAS to have a tracer.. that would be non power one..? just jumpin in here.. as a future question...

Latest posts

Back