KDX250 1984 2smoker!

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GooseMan

Reaction score
here is my kdx250 and I will update the pictures as I progress through out the build stages and will have many questions for the tech savy bunch on here. enjoy.

8391219197_00783650ed_c.jpg

8392304486_db60024df0_c.jpg

8392304664_729b25c376_c.jpg

Hey i thought it was an 85 or am i trippin mate.

yeah sorry mate, I did say it was a 85 earlier but later found out that they did not make a 85 but dated some of the stock sold in 85 as 85 (confusing). Anyway I need help finding a speedometer for it, can't seem to find one anywhere!

also if I search a part by its part number i.e. the speedometer's number is 25005 and a 91 model comes up with the same number does this mean it will fit my bike?

Searching for a ignition switch too but all seem to be unavailable, will try out the wreckers but does not look hopeful, can't even fine a pic of how the speedo is set up on the handle bar. I need to find someone with the same bike. So if anyone could keep an eye out for these parts that would be fantastic! Thanks guys

get a $3 bicycle speedo off ebay. They're pretty damn spot on (GPS verified) providing you have a strong signal
Magnet goes on one of the spokes, pickup gets zip tied to a fork. You may need to replace the magnet with a stronger one if it's not close enough

UPDATE!

All ready to come apart
8407486178_9d740074b3_c.jpg

And a quick tutorial on how to clean a 2stroke exhaust.

You will need a potato and caustic soda.
8406392775_973c8b2aa2_c.jpg

Plug the end with the potato,

8406392603_2c10316d94_c.jpg

Fill exhaust with caustic soda mixed with water (read container for directions) and leave over night. Wake up the next day pour the soda water out and don't eat the spud, it will not taste nice:)
8407517394_90d8238c60_c.jpg

Since ^ then I have stripped the engine and frame and am now pulling the motor apart, the piston has a bit of uneven wear on it but think I'll get away with some new rings to bring up the compression. bottom end looks a bit dirty so will pull side covers off and think about splitting it.

The rims look pretty faded, whats the best way to make em look new again? Is it worth despoking them and try polishing them or even painting them?

Oh also went doen to two wheel recyclers and was impressed that they have cleaned up and organised everything onto piles so get down there if you want some cheap second hand parts. I picked up a speedo, ignition switch, rear tyre with 80% tread left and a airbox. I got all that for $150. They are also going to get me keys cut for the switch. My next visit I will be looking for a baffle for the muffler.

Good stuff :) With the wheel a bit of Autosol metal polish should bring them back up, i personaly wouldn't paint them. Maybe take the spokes out as it'll make the wheel easier to clean and you can clean the spokes at the same time.

I'm going to be honest here because it isn't as smooth when you get up close. However the parts you see are, and I also have a fair amount of primer to sand back which will also help.

don't stress, it isnt going to be a show bike restoration is it?
or, are you getting it ready for the Autosalon car/bike shows this year?

they had plenty of welding dags, splatter etc from the factory when new, even runs in the paint, and places that had been missed with paint too.
im sure it'll turn out mint...

just be sure to scuff back anything you cant get the 320 grit paper into/onto with some grey scotchbrite to help the top coats adhere.

Cheers mate^ got the fist top coat on this morning and it has come up great, most of the little rough bits I mentioned have been filled and still have a couple more coats to go. The blue I picked I feel might be a bit too light but we will see how it goes. here a preview.
8412291565_cb4b0f90e7_c.jpg

I also got my bush made for the rear shock which I have been discussing in the other thread. Heres it is but will post more pics in the other thread.

8413389634_e4f0b53a32_c.jpg

Latest posts

Back