KDX250 1984 2smoker!

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well this is embarrising:banplease:
all this time I thought I was going to all bikes when I was actually going to race bike services lol:)
Been there quite a bit actually.

Again thanks for the time and effort you put in to help me out craig.

Last edited:
no problems mate,
Allbikes is just down the alley/driveway next to DRW Automatics, has a green Kawasaki race bike lookalike, out near the foothpath at the front of DRW's

let me know before you head down to get your shock charged with Nitrogen, i may be able to do it for you?
i found out that the Nitrogen regulator i need is the same as an Argon one, which i have.

did you get the plastics from VMX Unlimited maybe?
http://www.vmxunlimited.com/plastics-6/

i checked out the Nitrogen connections last night, the bottle has a l/h male thread and the regulator is r/h male.
so im going to need a buy an adapter, i think Motion Pro make one, i'll have to check them out again
sorry mate, i doubt i'll be able to do it this week.

and yeah my avatar is back to the custom Orion pic again.

are you going out to the MiniMenace ride day at Pt Gawler?

Minimenace day, i'll check out the dates and times after I eat my dinner:)

Thats cool craig I'll just drop by race bike services on my way home tomorrow and get them to do it for me, do they do it on the spot if there not too busy?

cheers rotn, one ahead of ya mate, that was the first thing I bought, just can't read, lol

Made a bracket for the speedo, it was cut out with a plasma cutter and grinding and filing. It made a nice tight fit to the speedo body and then I found some pvc down pipe which slide perfectly over the back of the body so I painted it all. To hold the bracket and pvc pipe on firmly I used some large washers and small peices of chromed tube with cutouts to tighten up against the pvc pipe. Check the photos as they make a lot more sense then I do.

8487937181_5b692ed82e_z.jpg

8487937317_939c917fe2_z.jpg

8487937115_a90c0eb757_z.jpg

also I have layed all the wireing into the bike in a cable tidy kind of thing, they just need to be connected to the lights and horn etc.
8489030344_0a4582009a_z.jpg

There's still a bit of brain teasing to be done because the cable tidy rests up against the exhaust there and will either have to re-route it or cover it in something heat proof. Thoughts?

At the same time I have been visiting allbikes racing to get my shock charged with nitrogen, but when I was talking to the mechanic (Kym) he mentioned that the seals are probably stuffed if there wasno oil or gas left in it when I got it. Pretty obvious now but anyway I pulled it apart for him to sus out a seal kit for me, he is very helpful. The centre rod has a couple of very small pits which he said might cause a small leak so he will polish it up for me. So at the end of it all I will pretty much have a rebuilt shock.

So I put the wheels on it today and found the front rim to wobble dramatically and yet the hub is nice and tight in the forks with no wobble. So I can only put it down to the spokes not being tensioned evenly:(
So off comes the tyre again and will do some adjusting. Anybody got some tricks of the trade to get these perfect?

The up and down movement is very little so will get that sorted pretty easily just need to get the horizontal movement right.

also here is the fuel tanks progress, you can see how faded it was. whats you opinions on how to cover up that sticker mark or should I leave it as is and not mess it up too much. or maybe get dynamics to make something to go there.
8501486243_19c0864412_c.jpg

Hey guys need opinions and I know we all have opinions to give so fire away, I love different opinions:)
Mainly I want to know what colour seat I should get or if I should change it at all? It will be done for free by my uncle so price is no factor. Just threw the plastics on to give an idea. While we are at it any thoughts of stickers n stuff.

8544551792_304f57d4d1_c.jpg

Id stick to the kwakka blue dude, just my opinion but thats the colour of the era. This is my old KX 250 i still cry about getting rid of to pay bills.
Image0155.jpg

Thats a nice bike rotn, I like the heat sheild, thinkingof getting one for my bike if I can find one. Also, probable get some uni track stickers and maybe get something made by justin to cover up the shadow on the fuel tank and something for the side panels. Give it some life. Needs a new clutch gasket will get that tuesday, and get some plugs to finish up the wiring (finally). Then its ready for a chain some stickers and some pictures and finally a test ride! Opinions on anything else? Anything to make it better?

Thanks mate, i miss her. This is how i got it, was a few things missing that needed sourcing.
Image177.jpg

You could check with any big bike store about the exhaust guards.
http://www.xtrememotorbikes.com.au/d1273-21/pipe-guards/

I def like the blue seat over the black mate, you would need to repaint the frame black or kwakka green if ya got a black seat i reckon lad. Top stuff mate.

go yeah im with mick on the seat, definately blue.
maybe go for the same blue as the frame?
id try and keep it stock looking, it will be worth more.
aftermarket or nos stickers /decals too.
did you suss out trueing the front wheel?

Dont know mate, it looks like it restricts the exhaust gases and may help pull fuel thru the carb for start up, obviously your carby has a choke lever? The yanks have some weird names for things other than us and i guess it works vice versa lol. Ask a question on the cmsnl forum and see what they say mate.

That would be a good idea mick, I'll ask cmsnl, and yes i have a choke lever on the carb. At least its not to expensive.

Thanks for the input craig, just sent a message to justin bout some decals and stuff for the fuel tank and will throw some Kawasaki 250 stickers on and a uni-track on the swing arm.

got a question. What is a good way to seal the exhaust header pipe to the cylinder so it doesn't leak? High temp silicone? By the way i'm not getting that exhaust choke after all as the blokes at T.W.R said it is not really a power gain as its just a restriction so your better off without it.

I also need to seal around where the muffler meets the exhaust pipe?
I'm am taking it too work next week where I will be paid to work on my own bike:)

Latest posts

Back