KDX250 1984 2smoker!

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cool thanks timeeh, I'll grab it tomorrow then before easter.
There is no metal seal thing there and its hard to get hold of one for it. and yes there is a leak as it smokes from around there and is very noisy which I think is noise coming through there as well.

Its coming along now, got most of the wiring done now, got a new battery today, am going to bikelec to sus out a 6v 2 pin regulator and then its just things like control cables, new parts going on, replace the clutch gasket and a lot of waiting for parts to arrive.
Got 3 and a half solid day to work on it next week so there will be some progress.

On second thought.... Being a 2smoke it should just be held on to the block with 2 springs, i don't thnk you'll have a washer in there so maybe all you need is 2 new springs? So you shouldn't need to use the permaseal stuff, i only used it as my copper gasket had already been used once.

are you going to see Craig at Bikelec?
Betta bikes is closer to you, Cottage lane Hackham

they are both really good to deal with...

craig has helped me out before, he is a good bloke,
i havent been to his new place yet though.
he had a few old YZ80s and some other old bikes sitting around last time i went down there

true, last time I was there was about 5 years ago ish? any way pretty sure I saw a rv90 wreck there which I want to try and get a part off for mine. Also new place? Hasn't he been working from home for a while now?

Hey tim, thanks for the link to the silicone, went to the local shop and grabbed myself some, worked a treat. Got the clutch cable today so thought I'd match the rings to the bore, know what I mean. :)

Its great to give it a ride again.

Should have the bike properly rideable by the end of next week with the absence of some stickers.
Which reminds me I have to get in touch whit justin.

on another note, had a bit of bad experience with two wheel recyclers the other day/ weeks. I don't like to say bad things about people its just that it might have done some serious damage to my bike is all (it didn't though). Firstly I went to him to get spare parts, and he had a identical ignition switch to mine but with out keys. So he siad he will get some keys cut for and call me when done, 4 weeks later he rings me saying that it does not work so he has wired up a similar switch for me.
So I though well ok he's honest at least and went to some effort to help me out, great. Installed the new battery the other day and turned on the switch and nothing......

Until all the wiring started to melt. It really had me stumped, I knew I had all the wires connected up the right way so why did it fry. I sussed out the switch and found that by turning it on simply connected + to earth. Luckily there was no electronics in that circuit some no damage was done except I had to spend another hour re-wiring the damaged wires:(

I guess where only human though aren't we.

hey was wondering what you guys think would make the bike more profitable? Should I get it registered for road use or not? So do you guys think people would be willing to pay more for it to be road reg'd?

To do that I will need a road worthy rear tyre, indicatorsand a pass through regency.

Tyre:$50-$100
indicators: $30-$40
Regency:$50-$80

Total:$130-$220

So far I have spent $1500 including that price of the bike and will be looking fo r around $1600- $1700 at least. But if I spend that extra bit to make it road worthy do you think I would get at least $2000ish?
I know its a bit hard to judge atm but when I get some final pics up it might be a little easier. Should have them by the end of next week, just with out any stickers.

Thanks for any input, much appreciated.

I'm just stuck in the middle is all.

Here's an update of it atm, still a list of things to be done.
  • Re-route brake cable
  • connect rear brake tail light switch to brake lever
  • install front brake switch
  • install new levers
  • bend or make new side stand
  • adjust carby float level
  • properly tune it
  • Get and install all stickers
  • Re-seal exhaust to cylinder.

8691678617_184a3c13b2_k.jpg

By the way those stickers are only photoshoped in:)

well I am looking for an 80 of some sort, but I think that one may be a little far gone for me. Thanks anyway. By the way the 250 isn't too far from being ready to sell. Got the stickers ready and waiting to go on. Need a brake lever and just a bit of tweeking and stuff to make it just right.

sounds good !

there have been a couple of early KDX250 and KDX200 on Gumtree and Ebay lately, both around $2750

^^ oh really? where they fully restored or something? I was only hoping for around $2000, mind you that is not road registered. Can be done easily though. I'm gonna check out gumtree now.

yeah same owner.
the Honda might sell for that if it was an all original mint CR500 ?

^agreed
As soon as my bro gets back from the flinders in a weeks time with my camera I'll get some pics up of it with the stickers on and it should be pretty much finished by then if all goes to plan.

Last edited:
Sneak peak....
All stickers are one now and the bike is almost finished. Just need to get a new brake lever, touch up a bit of paint here and there and get the brake light working properly. It works fine with the lights off but when I turn the lights on and I brake it actually turns the tail light off?? any way sneak peak...

9173674136_799694c554_c.jpg

Latest posts

Back