KDX250 1984 2smoker!

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heres the results of the polish, do ya reckon I could get better some other method or is that it?
8415894067_aecfdd69c8_c.jpg

By the way it was done with steel wool and autosol metal polish.

Some better shots of the new paint will be up soon.

The only way you'd get it better would be with a proper metal polisher with the rim in a vice and cut it with the different stage compounds. That autosol stuff is good shlt thou I use it on everything from my bikes to my guitar hardware it's the best I've found. Bet your arm had a workout polishing it up.

It's almost back to being ridable, I'm not gonna respray the frame at this point, that'll be a project for next summer. Just waiting on bearings for the rear end and she'll be put back together and ridden this winter.

Yours is coming along nicely and providing me with a few tips :)

the rims look like they have been clear coated, and most of it has chipped off.
(you can see where the clear is still in the picture, the spots that wont easily polish up)

usually they are polished then clear anodised, it lasts for years and years.

the only other way to clean them up is Ali-Brite cleaner, it will leave it a clean satin finish, then you can clear it again, or polish it up from there.
Septone Ali Brite Aluminium Cleaner - 1 Litre - Supercheap Auto

Well this thread sure has slowed down lately guys sorry bout that, the problem is that I have a job now and no time lol:) - :(

What I have done since though is dismantle and paint rear shock and to find that there is no oil in it at all so will fill that up this weekend.

Rims were dismantled, hubs and cogs painted and spokes cleaned up and all put back together.

Inspected the engine and felt I did not need to split it open, all seemed pretty clean after all.

Engine has been sand blasted and will paint when my rings arrive and I can put the cylinder back together.

New parts ordered,

New plastics set
New rings
New base gasket
Used speedo
Used ignition
New head light
New speedo cable
New rear brake pads
New fuel tank breather

and a lot of work to bring everything else up to standard.

Photo's will be up soon although theres not much to see as it is all just parts.

Last edited:
Yeah goose my build slowed right up after xmas and work has been busy as and doesnt leave much time for doing what we love, just gotta fit it in when you can, we will wait dude.

forgot to say congratulations on finding work too...
what type of work?

CHeers guys, its a diesel apprenticeship with mta. pay is average as you would expect for a apprentice but they do give ya a very nice tool kit from Tangtools, supposed to be worth $1500:) I put it togethter yesterday and am very happy with it. At the end of the 4 year course the government gives me $5000 to go towards tools:)

some stuff arrived today:)

8454904311_ab1e760a35_z.jpg

Re-oiled the rear shock today and painted the swinga and engine and between that I repaired my front brakes on the atomik. Its a goo thing I knock off early on fridays:)

8454904239_49cb9ba231_c.jpg

Over the weekend I started putting it together, just a few more small things to paint and then the rest can be put on. Felt the shock and am pretty happy with it but think that the 5w that the service manual said to put in might have been a little thin but will find out when I ride it.

8460047069_cc99a5b0d7_c.jpg

8460047161_71d24b9596_c.jpg

how is the upside down linkage setup on it, i had never noticed it before.
and i like the finish on the cooling fin edges too, the classic look..

after filling, then bleeding it, did you pressurise the shock with Nitrogen?
how much pressure did you put in? just the standard 142 psi?

Last edited:
Yeah really like that susp setup, works a treat, rear wheel really sticks.

nitrogen??
Didn't think it took nitrogen, the service manual only says it takes oil. Might have read somewhere that the later model went with the nitrogen but not this one, will double check that though.
If it did would I need to get someone else to fill for me?

Also how do you bleed it? I have just been following the service manuals instructions. Is it just the air bleed valve at the top?

Cheers for the support aswell.

have a look here, page 11 iirc
http://books.google.com.au/books?id...onepage&q=kdx200 rear shock absorbers&f=false
doe's that sound the same as what you have?

Race Bike Services at Lonsdale, just down O'sullivans beach rd a bit further than Allbikes, and off the side street next to Roadstyle tyres,
they can refill the nitrogen for you, it's pretty cheap $20-$30? but the shocker needs to have the spring off to do it, going by the clymer manual.
i have a bottle but no regulator to drop the pressure

Last edited:
sorry, just realised that manual is for the KDX200, not the 250, but i thought they'd be pretty much the same?

im sad everytime i see this thread i miss my old 89 KX250, but i will manage my emotions and keep coming back and checking on your build mate, it looks a treat and can not wait to see the finished product and see the 2 smoke breathe again.

another thing i forgot to ask too, is that a DC plastics kit?
if it is then hopefully the holes line up for you,
some of their Yamaha plastics kits are way off shape and alignment.

yeah your right craig thanks for that, what would I do with out you haha.
Got the book in front of me now, it takes the same as the 200 you posted.
Will hit the shop at lonsdale then and get that done.

Can't remember who I got the plastics from off the top of my head but don't think it was DC, It was an aussie mob. This set doesn't have any holes in it yet so its up to me to get it right.

Also put oil in the forks aswell as they were low on oil, I found the old oil to be a bit soft/thin so I used 20w instead of 10w and it feels much better now.

Progress is speeding up now, most things are painted with just minor things to go. It will all start going together in the next couple of days and start looking like a bike again.

The only thing which will set me back is making a bracket fro the speedo. Might have to go to my neighbours and use his plasma cuter. Also the wiring is a bit of a worry, nothing was hooked up when I got it so not even sure if all the wires still work or not. This I will just have to find out the hard way I guess:(

Latest posts

Back