mechanic to rebuild z50 motor SE Melbs

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ash.onmtb

Reaction score
As title states, looking for a reputable mechanic/engine shop to rebuild a z50 motor back to being as reliable as the factory made it, with maybe a sniff of performance (as who can really stand to tear something apart and rebuild it without improving it...) Chasing rock solid reliability, and using some of the smarts that have been collected over the nearly 30 years of this engines life. ie i want to get things strengthened/improved in any areas that have proven to be problematic over that time. I appreciate they are about as complicated as a rock, but there is always improvements that can be made!

Ideally needs to be south east melbourne, but would travel a little for the right person. Looking for a professional, not backyard grease monkey. Would prob need machining, hot tank, measuring and parts.

Anyone got any thoughts or experiences?

Thanks.

yeah i think im to the task! im only 2hrs away! as long as you supply me the parts! ive worked at yamaha dealer for three month, taught me heaps! and never looked back! now ive got access to machining facilitates, not sure about a hot tank, but im sure i can rig something up! im currently working on the yx160 (waiting on parts), mesuring is not a problem! im currently doing cert 2 in engineering! you keen on a 17 year old refurbing/improving the z50?

I live in SE suburbs, qualified mechanic over 25 years ago. But I know nothing about Z50's, lol. What machining would it possibly need? Where are you?

cheers, but there's still a lot of stuff i don't know about, sean01 and rotn50 know a lot more...

I live in SE suburbs, qualified mechanic over 25 years ago. But I know nothing about Z50's, lol. What machining would it possibly need? Where are you?

the Z160Ho is based on the 50cc, but the 50 has an auto clutch running off the crankshaft.

the cylinder probably needs to be bored ready for a new piston
then the head could need the seats to be re-cut for some new valves, possibly new guides too.
and check out the bottom end (new bearings?) and the gearbox/shift drum
and reassemble it again

Last edited:
now lets not get upset at my choice of words, I'm just trying to thin out the pretenders. I am absolutly positive that quite a few of your are exceptional at what you can do to a motor, but you'll appreciate its hard to get that represented on an internet forum. A shopfront is 'supposed' to be a reputable way to do business so that is where I've started. Also, its the most likely place that someone would have a hot tank and machining. I could get the bits washed at an engine rebuilder, but given they probably wouldn't work on 50 engines that often, it would take them a while to read up etc. I was hoping that someone might suggest a race shop or something that does the flash work that would want a dirty little cashy on the side to fix up to being nice.

I just don't want to tear it down, clean it up and rebuild it, only to find that I've missed something that is obvious to someone who's done many of them.

How about I rephrase my original question - do I try and take the whole engine to someone, or does it continue to be a shed project and I rely on the generosity of other forum members to help me (with information and tips) complete it over the next 8 or so weeks?

now lets not get upset at my choice of words, I'm just trying to thin out the pretenders. I am absolutly positive that quite a few of your are exceptional at what you can do to a motor, but you'll appreciate its hard to get that represented on an internet forum. A shopfront is 'supposed' to be a reputable way to do business so that is where I've started. Also, its the most likely place that someone would have a hot tank and machining. I could get the bits washed at an engine rebuilder, but given they probably wouldn't work on 50 engines that often, it would take them a while to read up etc. I was hoping that someone might suggest a race shop or something that does the flash work that would want a dirty little cashy on the side to fix up to being nice.

I just don't want to tear it down, clean it up and rebuild it, only to find that I've missed something that is obvious to someone who's done many of them.

How about I rephrase my original question - do I try and take the whole engine to someone, or does it continue to be a shed project and I rely on the generosity of other forum members to help me (with information and tips) complete it over the next 8 or so weeks?
Its not rocket science :p send it to my67xr if your not confident..
if you make a thread with alot of photos we can tell you what needs replacing etc..
Measuring tools would be ideal also eg snap gauges

i was only stirring, lol

and nah, sorry i have enough work to do

Take it to Braaap, see Pauly. Or Buzz Bikes and See Greg

terry from firepower minis could give ya a hand... but his over in the states... hes got alot of the equipment from what ive been told... the killer would be the postage... hes a good bloke! chuck him an email!!

gave big50's a call on Jaime's reccomendation - see what comes of that. Will keep all your suggestions at hand, thanks for the tips. Was just looking over the remains of the motor, 'someone' is going to have a bit of a job on...

Latest posts

Back