my boys build

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blender can have them! I'll go new plastics for this build, not like crf50 stuff is expensive these days!!! Plus its going to be my mates boys first moto so I have to make it look half decent!!

soooooooooooo i have a MAJOR problem right now..... well two actually :(

1. the bike had developed a rev hang after a couple of rides so today i went out to nip up the manifold bolts. Not sure if anyone remembers me mentioning one side of the manifold bolt holes in the head looked a little messy inside and i ran the stud that comes with the tb manifold kit. Went to nip the nut up on that stud and i noticed it was moving. Put some more pressure on the nut and realised it was just dragging the stud back up through the thread in the head. As you can imagine i was mightily impressed with this discovery, but wait, there's more!!!!
2. After my little debacle with the head, i noticed some oil on the bash plate around the oil cooler lines, so i grab my 10mm spanner, go to nip up the bottom, thats fine. Move up to the top cooler line, try to do it up, and bam, say hello to my second threaded bolt hole for the day!!!!

Now i have no ****ing idea were to go from here, look around for a second hand 155/160 and just keep this for parts or try fix it (how??????), or burn the ****ing thing

no, you have a few options,
Champion thread inserts, or Helicoils will fix them easy enough.
and they'll be better than the original alloy threads too.
5 PCS 6mm Male 4mm Female Thread 8mm Length Tapping Threaded Insert | eBay

or for the head you can buy some new thread repair studs,
you can get them with an M8 thread on one end and a M6 on the other.
then just drill and tap your head to M8, screw the stud in and you're done.
Exhaust Stud M8 Reduces to M6 x 40mm
M7 to M6 studs-
Scooter Moped M6 X M7 Exhaust Stud AND Nuts | eBay

my Thread Repair thread
http://www.miniriders.com/general-c...g-pic-heavy-post.html?highlight=thread+repair

Last edited:
dont really want to go buying a new head, in the proccess of reading through your repair thread now craig. could i get away with those inserts you linked first on both the head and the oil cooler outlet in the case? am i going to have to crack the engine to do the oil line insert?

yeah they are the cheapest option, it's about $10 for 4 or 5 inserts.

should be able to do the side cover, as long as the cover was off
but just check what is on the back of the hole inside

what size threads are they ?

the thread for the intake manifold in the head is M6 x1mm,
is the engine oil cooler port an M8 x 1.25 ?

i need to dig my Z155Ho out of the boot of my car to check

the 1mm part of the M6 (6mm threaded Metric bolt) bolt size i said above is the pitch, the distance from one thread to the next.

so the second bolt is an M8 (8mm threaded Metric bolt), the pitch is a touch coarser, each thread is 1.25mm apart

ah ok, impossible to measure with out verniers then.... the oil cooler bolts seem to be 6mm wide, but like i say hard to measure with a 8m fatmax tape ;) where could i find that sort of info? or am i left with no choice but buying some verniers...

so the cooler hose bolts that stripped the cover, they are the ones that go through the banjo fittings in the end of the hose ?
just trying to make sure we're talking about the same thing.

if so then that seems pretty small, considering they still need the hole drilled through the middle of them for the oil to flow through.

you know the stator cover bolts, they are M6

yeah, the bolt that goes through the banjo and then into the casing. ok, they are definitely bigger than that, must be my dodgy eyes, or the tape measure itself. as i said im using my roofing tape measure lol. i will buy some verniers and measure them properly on friday. my bloody shed/carport is a mess, 3 bikes not running, the braaap waiting on wheel spacers for the 17/14 wheels, 160 needs the stripped threads repaired, and trying to put the 72cc atomik for my youngest together. starting to loose track of so much........

just checked my 155Ho, the bolts for the oil cooler lines are M8 x1.25mm pitch
same size/thread as the oil pipe bolts
not 100% sure the Z160Ho is the same, but you could undo one off the oil pipe and try the bolt from the stripped thread in there just to make sure.

M8 x 1.25mm is a standard pitch for 8mm bolts, so should be easy to source some thread inserts.
you will need an 11mm drill bit to prepare the stripped thread for the new insert

if you have trouble finding the inserts let me know, i can get them easy enough, cost about $12 for 4 or 5 of them, and includes the bolts/nuts for fitting them

ran the verniers over it today, 8mm it is :) local shops only had the heli coil ones, and wanted way to much for em compared to the prices you were talking about craig. might try ebay in a minute see what i find.

if you buy a helicoil kit, it's about $25, you get 10 or so inserts, a drill bit, a tap, and the fitting tool

the Champion kits are about $12 for a 10mm thread repair, and the smaller ones were cheaper

131 Pieces Thread Repair Workshop Kits Garage Tool SET M5 M6 M8 M10 M12 | eBay
88pc Thread Installation Repair KIT Helicoil SET Metric Sizes M6 M8 M10 | eBay
88 PCS Thread Repair KIT Helicoil SET FOR M6 M8 M10 F04170 | eBay
Helicoil Type Thread Repair KIT M6 X 1 00mm Broken Threading RE Thread | eBay
M8 X1 25x10 8mm Thread Tool KIT Auto CAR PRO Repair Helical Coil SET F198187C | eBay

another option ?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Permatex..._Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a944e958d&_uhb=1

but the helicoils/champion inserts, i don't think i'd want to wait for 4 weeks for them to arrive.

Last edited:
they wanted 49 bucks for it at our local auto mob, supercheap had none in stock neither did auto one. burnie sucks for that sorta stuff though, actually burnie just sucks all together

Latest posts

Back