Never worked on a bike in my life...yet

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah its actually really nice with 2 booths the one an oven model even. Besides the certain tools that the high school kids break during the day lol. But thats where I learned how to weld so I could weld on replacement panels when rust gets outta control;)

Sorry to get off track but reading your signature and seeing the word kenne bell bought a smile to my face, when it comes to blowers there is no better blower whine than a kenne bell:action-smiley-035:

that Atomik Fuse has had a hard life....
with that engine combo it would be a beasty to ride too, looks like it's coping with the extra power too.

Sorry to get off track but reading your signature and seeing the word kenne bell bought a smile to my face, when it comes to blowers there is no better blower whine than a kenne bell:action-smiley-035:

I got some goods for you if you enjoy KB blowers. Bonus if you like large cars
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MH7-BsHQA0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKQI3Dkep7I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEZXAPUwcQE
Sorry they're not the best quality. I'm not good with cameras or have any fancy ones. Just cheap peices of junk and my GoPro

Got around to working on the exhaust finally now that its actually getting nicer out. Doesn't look pretty at all and still leaks a little but I was using the junk fluex wire that came with the welder. Got it all buttoned up temporarily bypassing the cold side of the turbo and got the little monster running. But then started spitting oil out like no other and smoking like a stuck pig. But it is quite possible I put too much oil in and or I didn't tighten something down all the way just mocked it up so need to go over it all and try and figure it out. Hopefully something really easy. Might get a video of it tomorrow if I get off before dark. And now onto a couple pictures for the night

photo04251834.jpg

photo04252127.jpg

^^^on the bike finally. Looking ugly as ever but working.

photo04252128.jpg

Like I said I'm guessing its either I had it filled way too much with oil because in my hurry to get this thing running I just poured a little under 2 quarts of oil in to try and make sure I had enough to fill the oil filter lines and all that too without thinking. Which I'm leaning towards because of how ****ty it was running and how much it was smoking from burning oil right when I get it running pretty much. That or now that I'm thinking hard about it I think I left a bolt on the turbo itself loose

And for anyone interested in my dads bike that I painted and that were currently slowly working on putting back together now that its done.

photo04211444.jpg

photo04141817.jpg

photo04141819.jpg

photo04141818.jpg

Had some fun dealing with bugs and dust trying to get in the paint and screw it up but overall its really nice out in the sunlight

2 quarts wow !!
thats almost 1.9 litres in australian speak.
the motor only takes roughly 750mls.

it will take about .8 of a quart to fill the motor, then a little more for the oil cooler and lines,
i'm guessing 1 quart all up?

mmmm, i like the gloss on those parts, 2 pack paint?
here's a tip for painting metallics too,
when painting metallics, you are best off painting everything in the as fitted positions if you can.
it probably matters more when painting fenders/bonnets and bumpers on cars though, as the panels usually join, or close to it.
have you ever wondered why so many cars have different shades of paint when comparing fenders to bumpers?
the metallic flip will look slightly different on each item when assembled, darker, lighter etc

anyway, keep up the good work, and the updates too

cheers, craig

quick tip, if painting at home, wet the floor so the dust sticks to the ground.
and set up an
EXTRACTION FAN : its good for fumes but most importantly it removes all of the atmospheric paint that didn't make it to the job.

well done for having a go :congrats:

Have you got the inlet sorted for the bike yet? or just the exhaust? I wana see that turbine spin lol

Lol yeah like I said I just got too excited about firing it back up and just slapped it together and dumped in the oil not even thinking then after thinking oh **** when its coming out the turbo. So I'ma try and drain some of the oil to get this thing running right instead of like crap.

2 pack? You mean like 2 stage? Spraying the base then clear? I put on about 4-5 coats of paint and 3-4 coats of clear on each piece. Then wetsanded and buffed all the pieces. Yeah with cars I would've painted it all together but none of these parts are really attached to eachother except the bag tops on the bags and even those have a little bit of a separation so I'm hoping it won't be noticeable if the metallic doesn't line up. But yeah on my car you can notice on the spoiler that was added after the fact look different at different angles then the trunk lid along with the door handles. I was kind of shocked though because when I painted the rear lights for the s55 effect they came out pretty good without really being able to notice the difference in the metallic. And I did the reverse lights after the brake lights too. Thanks for the advice :)

photo04042056.jpg

^^^Yeah the trunks open a little but thats the S55 treatment. It was a prototype Marauder concept that was never produced and it had its taillights/reverse lights painted body color like that

Yeah I was going to spray down the floors but then I had some of the objects setup on flimsy cardboard boxes and I was worrying about the bottoms getting weaker and dropping the parts. But I did have an extraction fan setup and have a vent thing on the top of the garage to try and circulate the air but when we were shooting the clear it kept getting harder and harder to see/breath in the garage. After we were done and cleaning up we found out that the screen we were blowing the air out was so caked with paint and everything it was almost blocked totally lol. Its really preferred to use a paint booth when I'm painting but I was kinda amazed that it came out as good as it did in a garage with not the best lighting and bugs trying to get in the paint and all the dust even with me sweeping it out before starting. But my Mustang is covered in all the excess paint (under a tarp) and my air compressor and tool boxes etc but it all brushes off luckily lol

Yeah I only have the exhaust setup pretty much right now. I wanted to get it to start and see if the turbine wheel spun at all and even with it running like crap and not all the exhaust getting to the turbo (leaking out) and the turbo not totally setup right it started spinning it. Not as fast as I'd like but hopefully when I get all the exhaust going to it and not leaking and get it all setup right it'll spool up better. If not may be needing to throw a bigger engine in this little monster

it will be fun riding it in circles lol does your front wheel clear?

looks like somone needs a pipe bender

Lol last I checked in my progress it was clearing. Very close but still clearing. I probably should recheck it just to make sure now that you mention it.

A conduit pipe bender is at least $100 IIRC. 2 90degree turn conduit pipe+cutoff wheel+cheap welder with even cheaper fluex wire=more fun, burns, swearing, mess ups, ugly looking messes, etc. Yeah in hindsight a pipe bender would've been a good investment even if I just used it once to save me the headaches

yeah they sure save some headaches.
my 20 ton press cost me $50 secondhand, and my 12 ton hydraulic pipe bender with 6x mandrels, from 3/4 up to 2 inch cost me $80 secondhand
2x items that have saved me a heap of money, have you seen my Dune Buggy thread?

Those are really good deals you got. I need to keep my eyes open to try and find used ones. I was just looking at new at the time. But I'm sure they keep in handy. Off to search for dune buggy awesomeness

yeah, i'm very happy.

that pipe bender is just a china made one, brand new they are around $120 here
i'm sure they'd sell them over there, probably cheaper than here?

this place is good to spend time searching for stuff too, they have only recently allowed international shipping.
https://www.surpluscenter.com/home.asp

Latest posts

Back