Never worked on a bike in my life...yet

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I walk past them in the store and when you put up your picture of yours thats what instantly popped into my head

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4YzvzobKIA Got under a quart of oil in it and still smoking like no other. Going to try tightening everything up and order a new exhaust pipe gasket (for between the head and the exhaust pipe) if I can't find the original. But it is spinning a little better now that I have one of the exhaust leaks hopefully pretty much sealed. If that doesn't fix it then not sure the route to take next to try and figure out the oil leaking issue. Maybe its the wrong type of oil? Its 10w40 Mobil 1 Synthetic 4 stroke race oil IIRC. Do these bikes not agree with synthetic fluids?

it should be ok with that oil, some synthetic oils play havoc with the clutch plates, but most of the time it will work fine.

the oil may take a little while to burn out of the rings etc,
it can take a few minutes of riding the bike around to clean out.
but if the bike is just sitting there idling then i reckon it'd take a lot longer

ps;
nice work on the video,

i see your carby intake rubber radiator hose to the air filter, needs a spring inside it to stop it sucking in, and restricting the flow.
some bottom radiator hoses have a spring in them, older Ford V8 ones do.

[video=youtube;g4YzvzobKIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4YzvzobKIA[/video]

Yeah I think on the bottle it said ok for wet clutches or something?

I think I may have found on of the problems with the oil leaking
photo04291833.jpg

^^^The bolt I had left loose was completely out on the turbo. Hoping that was just letting the oil get past into the turbo itself causing the pouring out of the turbo.

Yeah its sucking all the air out of the radiator hose when I let off the throttle. You gave me an idea on fixing that though cause I know you can get different lengths and thickness of custom braided radiator hoses and they come with big springs in them so you can bend them however you need on race cars without them kinking. But I don't think they make any short enough for what I'd be using it for. But I do have a nice amount of random sized springs laying around. I need to look through them and try and find one that'll be about the right size for the bike even if I need to cut it shorter then melt the rubber around it a little to hold it in place.

And thanks for helping me out posting the video the right way man.

no problems,
just copy the youtube link details at the top of the page, then paste it into the 'Insert Video clip' tab above this reply box

http://www.summitracing.com/search/...aided-stainless-steel/hose-clamps-included/no

Heres the style of hoses I was talking about. Rubber internals with stainless steel braided outside and they have a big spring inside of them so they won't collapse when you route them how you need in custom applications but like I said I'm pretty sure none of those are the size/length I need

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-390112/overview/
^^^I MAY get that to make the custom tubing from the outlet of the cool side of the turbo to the intake on the head because I've been trying to work out how I'm going to do it with the pieces of radiator hose I have sitting around and it's going to end up a mess. But that stuff I don't think has rubber inside and says its easy to cut and all that so I may look into that plus it won't kink. I'll have to find out if it'll be safe with gas in it and what exactly is it all made of inside to keep it from leaking and stuff but it may be a possibility

Yeah, you need oil that is okay for wet clutches (or otherwise the clutch will slip and it will be un ridable

Hmmmm. Very interesting. Yeah right now its unrideable sadly because the clutch and the spitting oil problem. (Clutch is I broke the handle somehow so I can't pull the clutch in until I fix it or get a new one:( )

Hmmm those aren't bad pricewise. May pick a new one up rather then welding the old POS back together and hoping it holds

Just placed an order for some parts

1 x 12 Way Carb Kit II (TRC-1865) = $19.99
Color Blue
2 x Exhaust gasket copper type (TRC-1189) = $5.98
1 x TRC Pivot Lever set For Pit Bikes T-3 (TRC-1825) = $24.99

Got 2 copper exhaust gaskets just in case I kill one and got the carb kit thing to rotate the placement of the intake on the head of the bike to a more favorable position to route from the outlet of the cold side of the turbo to the head. (And got me thinking about possibly porting and polishing the intakes a little bit to open it up just for the hell of it). And a cheap set of levers that'll get outta the way if I drop it again instead of snap.

Been working hard the past couple days but finally today I had free time so after going for a little cruise on the street bikes and washing my car and cruising in my car for a little bit I got to work on the bike now that the parts are in. Some good news and some interesting/bad news.

Good news first. It took me a little bit of time but got the new clutch and front brake handle installed (First time I've really messed with that stuff on a bike so it was interesting until I figured out how to get the line loose enough to fit in all the ways I needed it).

Figured out that there is indeed oil going to at least the oil filter.

The copper exhaust gasket was the correct one that I ordered.

Possibly have all the exhaust leaks fixed once the gasket maker crap dries up.

photo05051920.jpg

^^^New levers. Cheap but they shall do

Now to the interesting/bad news.

Putting the brake lever on the part where the lever slips into where the screw goes through to hold it in place the new one wouldn't fit. Soooo I attempted to bend the 2 parts open a little more to help it fit and snapped off a part. It seems to be fine for the time being at least when I just bolted it all together.

As I'm dumping the oil outta the bike yet again I lean on the kick starter which of course doesn't support me and goes down as if I'm trying to start the bike. No big deal. Until I look under the bike watching the oil drain and see the engines dripping. Upon further investigation it seems the oil dripped from between the cylinder and the head. So I slowly push down the kick starter again to see if it drips more which it does. Sooo this isn't a car so I'm trying to figure out if this is normal or if its something I'm possibly not going to enjoy hearing (aka a blown head gasket)?

Next on the WTF is happening is when I drained the oil I poured it into an empty quart jug for me to take to get recycled. And its quite a bit in there. Yet on the dipstick there was no oil on it at all? But I hadn't been running the bike either soooo possibly needs a lot more oil? Or just because it not being running the oil looks low?

photo05051916.jpg

^^^Old oil on the left new (unopened) on the right with lines to help show the levels. And yeah its not completely level right there but its close enough for a rough idea.

i can see approx 900mls taken from the bike.
so that'd be about 750 from the engine, and the other 150 from the filter, turbo and lines ?
i think that sounds about right?

have you measured how much the actual turbo holds in oil volume, and then the filter, and lines, all seperately?

the levers look ok, they are standard 3 finger ones that came on my Atomik Fuse.
they'll last you a while, mine are still good.

when you re-fill it (after ensuring all the oil is out of the bike) fill it to the fill line (measuring how much your using) then start the bike run it for how ever long it takes to pump oil out of the oil return line (have it off) and then check how much you need and fill it to the fill line and then the ammount you used is how much you will have to service it with

Yeah I think its around those numbers.

Of course me being impatient at times didn't measure how much fluid goes into the lines turbo etc which I had initially planned on doing before ever starting it.

Yeah they were fairly cheap and figured I'd replace both so they'd match.

Yeah I think that'll be the best course of action to figure out how much oil is needed for the bike. Fingers crossed the weather keeps being nice

I'm about 75% sure I know what is up now. I think somehow I blew the head gasket or the oil rings. It seems like these are the types of symptoms of either of those with the burning tons of oil, pouring out of the exhaust, leaking from the between the head and cylinder. So guess my next step is to pull the head and start checking it out

I'm about 75% sure I know what is up now. I think somehow I blew the head gasket or the oil rings. It seems like these are the types of symptoms of either of those with the burning tons of oil, pouring out of the exhaust, leaking from the between the head and cylinder. So guess my next step is to pull the head and start checking it out
yeah, did you get her really hot at any point in time?

also have you retarded the timing? its prolly pinging

Latest posts

Back