Never worked on a bike in my life...yet

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So finally got some time to get back to working on it because work was a little slow today. Got the head off and there was oil all over the gasket both sides. Cylinder looked good no scars in it or anything. Just kinda went with my gut for taking the thing apart (never done a head gasket on an OHC engine and have a thing for not using instructions) so pretty proud it didn't take me as long as I was worried it would. Buuuuuttttt now I got another problem. The cam gear won't go back on. Cause I couldn't figure out really how to open it all up so I could see both gears and just take the chain off I unbolted the 3 bolts on the gear and popped it off.

But not it won't pop back on. I get it fairly close but not on. Kinda having an Oh Fuuuuuuu moment right now. Kinda killed my excitement about the head gasket change being so easy. You can see the gear I'm talking about in the one picture hanging there on the chain if I'm not calling it the right name.

20.jpg

21.jpg

The gear can be a real *****... I found with a bit of persistence and a bit more force it eventualy slid on, but it did take a **** load of pressure to do so, also if you havn't already done so, make sure your cam chain tensioner is removed.

there are 2x big chrome bolts on the underside of the motor,
the one on the r/h side is the oil drain/sump plug, the one on the left is the timing chain tensioner.
undo and remove the tensioner bolt and it will pop out, there is a spring that seats on the bolts and a tube and a bush that tensions the chain

1timing chain.jpg

i hope the gear didnt move/turn on the chain when you removed it.
if it did skip a tooth or so, it will need to be set up at TDC again before you can put it all back together.

here is a link for setting TDC if you need it-
http://www.scribd.com/doc/45909114/tdc

yeah, i second that that is the only reason it would do that, when the bolt is removed (cam chain tentioner) only a little bit of oil will come out and then you should have heaps of slack to get it back on..

was the whole bore oily? because when my engine was overheated once it toasted my valvestem seals so i had to replace them

and then you should have heaps of slack to get it back on..

Nah man, not at all. I had to make sure my head was torqued to correct settings and even then it would not go on, i just kept at it and eventually managed to force it on, some cam chains especially new ones are extremly tight.

Latest posts

Back