Perimeter Midsize Build

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And I sorted the 0.5mm difference in the head stem and bearings by using some familiar aluminium strip to shim up the extra thickness, it took a couple of go's to get right but I ended up with a really great result, will be interesting to see how it holds up, I have done this before on pushie stems with great results so I am expecting the same with this.
shim.jpg

Got some more done today,

Started on the rear brake pedal, this one is going to be a tricky one to get done right, with little clearance on the kickstarter and engine there is only a small amount of room for the brake pedal to occupy. I have used an oxy set to start getting the bends looking more like they will work but am still a long way off.
Brake1.jpg

I also bolted up an old Molkt carby I have laying around and to my surprise it fits with no modification required. Im thinking of a flatslide or a Mikuni roundslide copy so I will see how they fit as well,
One thing I will need to do it route the throttle cable properly as it is going to need a 90 degree bend as it currently sits, is there an angled cap for the Molkt carbies? Or flatslide carbys? Whats my options here.
carby2.jpg

cabry1.jpg

I am also starting to think about the oil cooler and cdi placements, check out the pics to where I think they should be placed.
CDIposition.jpg

oilcoolerplacement.jpg

The Cdi I think is in the right place, however the oil cooler I would really like to get into one of the front fenders, however this seems like it will be impossible with the current cooler, not to mention the amount of damage that would be caused when laying the bike over.

Just the stock one that came with the engine, Its pretty flimsy, but is super light and will get the job done

Yep its starting to look like a real bike finally, Now I am waiting on some wheels to come from Mattbombers and have to chase up an exhaust from the states and it should be almost there.

OKO sell an angled cap for the flatslide, or buy an OKO from DHZ and it'll come with one... Or you could get an adapter plate to rotate the carby to the centre of the frame ;)

Went with this exhaust
bbr.jpg

As for the Molkt carbys are they worth sticking with? And what size unifilter do they require?

look like your manifold doesnt match the carb, bolt holes offset on the carby so you'll get bad flow from a smaller opening due to the mismatch...

as for the molkts they go great for a stock carb with nice even power all thru the range, i like em like that an upgrade keeping similar power curve is the keihin 'pe' carbs, i'm not a fan of flatslides so i'll leave it to others there.... as for the size of the filter, you have a tape measure?? lol... yeah i dont know :p

Yeh I have a tape but the bike is not at home, its at my parents place where there is room to move and work.

I will have to check the mismatch, seemed alright for the 30 secs I had it on, I was going to life the slide and have a peek but totally forgot in the excitement that the carby cleared the frame

you may be able to tell just from the plastic spacer as they come in both offset and not.

And I sorted the 0.5mm difference in the head stem and bearings by using some familiar aluminium strip to shim up the extra thickness, it took a couple of go's to get right but I ended up with a really great result, will be interesting to see how it holds up, I have done this before on pushie stems with great results so I am expecting the same with this.
shim.jpg

man are you serious...
thats the most retarded thing i have ever seen...

i hope its you riding this and not some kid..

Whats the problem with it sean, I shimmed it perfectly to 0.1mm within the tolerance and then pushed the bearing on, seemed pretty good too me.

If it flogs out I will turn up some spacers and make something a little more solid but I can not see any real problem with this. If you could expand on why "i am serious" that would be appreciated

Ando I checked the carby and even though it looks like its not aligning it actually is, One thing it the manifold is way a couple mm bigger in diameter than the carby so I might have to bust out the metal putty and start to build up the manifold to match the ports and get rid of the huge jump in sizes

Heres some progress,

Oil cooler is now mounted, just has to be connected once the bash plate is on, but I am waiting for the wheels still, and still no exhaust, but they are on the way.
oilcoolermount.jpg

Cdi is also on, what a bit of a pain trying to tap the holes as straight as possible but the frame was not going to move.
Cdimount.jpg

And I also have 90% completed the rear brake pedal, man what a mission, I think I heated and bended about 10 times to get it to work properly, it has a return spring and all that is now needed is some fine touches and paint.
brakepedalfinal.jpg

Now all is needed is attention on the wheels, bash plate and and a few little things on the brakes.

Mega stoked its finally coming along.

i think i'll heat and bend up a brake lever like u did fused. its hard to find a lever to fit my perimeter frame:(

Tell me about it, the only ones I could find went below the pegs or were for KLX engines, which will not work with these engines. This is the only way out, however its pretty tight, meaning that you have to get it right with lots of bending and checking till it fits, I will be using a brake snake for sure as I really dont want to go through all this hassle if I can avoid it.

Latest posts

Back