Pimp my trailer

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geezus18

Reaction score
hey fellas,
I recently bought this 3 bike trailer for $120, its got a bit of rust on it and the paint it just falling off, it weight a bloody ton but im sure my charade will handle it! :D.
So i have decided im gonna do it up. Firtst of all im gonna get all the loose paint off and give it a clean, then put on a 'no more rust' primer and then slap on a few thick coats of black. Ill probably then get some new LED lights on the back and put some hub caps on it...YEWWW :D
ill also probably get a bir arse thor or oneal or something like that sticker for it! sound good?

heres what it looks like at the moment:

17-03-07_1230.jpg

17-03-07_1231.jpg

ive still gotta get the whole rego thing sussed out as i have no previouse rego information on it and there is no plate or old rego on it..looks like ill ahve to just completly re-rego it.

should turn out cool,

iam still looking for a trailer too, cant find a single thing!

youll just have to take it to somewhere like, Bridge Exhaust in Murray Bridge to get a rego inspection to get some plates, but youll have to get it first,

i thought its about $180 for rego inspection + plate

goodluck getting it looking smick

Step 1: remove all flaking paint and dirt. ohh and i have also got most of the surface rust of by bashing it with a hammer and a flat head screw driver. I still have to get the grease off the wheels (as i am painting them black also).

17-03-07_1715.jpg

17-03-07_1716.jpg

hmm $180 bugga..o well its worth it, i got it for fair cheap. How do you know what places can do rego inspections..is there anyone down our way that does it. Also what do they look at when doing a rego inspection...eg. tread, rust etc???

i got a trailer done last year, and thought it cost me $180 max, but could be a bit off,

the trailer guy in Goolwa here I THINK does it, the one in the industrial area just down from the bakery, i live around the corner and ill call in monday for ya and ask if he does, and the cost if ya want,

my inspection just had to show road worthy, no structural rust, good tires, spare wheel, just basically had to be in good working condition,

sellicks here you come haha

Looks like alot of work. Is the chassis alright underneath?Check your wheel bearings out and also rust underneath carriage.Good luck should turnout smik.

your traylor should turn out good me an the old man did the same thing a few years ago we even made it so you can put a pitty on the front a frame

mines rust proof blue, new lights an a big fox head on each of the wheel gaurds

i got a trailer done last year, and thought it cost me $180 max, but could be a bit off,

the trailer guy in Goolwa here I THINK does it, the one in the industrial area just down from the bakery, i live around the corner and ill call in monday for ya and ask if he does, and the cost if ya want,

my inspection just had to show road worthy, no structural rust, good tires, spare wheel, just basically had to be in good working condition,

sellicks here you come haha

cheers dude that would be sweet, alot better than travelling like 50+kms to get it done.
The rust has only worked its way through the metal in one spot...theres a few holes in it, ill try and go take a pic now. also the whell bearings are good because we drove it home from the guy i got it off and it was all good. nout sure about rust underneath..the thing is so heavy i dont know how to get under and look. The three metal gutter/bike guides are like 5mm thick! i rekkon the trailer would be close to 150kgs!

yeah ill get some mad stickers on there and what not..probably get a bodykit and neons aswell :p haha jks!

ok heres the only rust holes on it and they're in one spot only.

17-03-07_2020.jpg

and this is what the axle thing looks like underneath..all just surface rust. is that bad or can i just leave it?

17-03-07_2022.jpg

when i fixed up my trailer i got this stuff that actually converted the rust back to metal or something, u should try that. cant remember what it was called though, it was about $30 though, does a damm good job, then just painted it over and now looks awsome

Mate if you ask me you paid 120 too much lol, nah looks alright, but i no for a fact with cars if it has rust it cant get a rwc.. not that it would have any relovence to this i dont think..?

this is the rust converter,

read the instruction carefully, and use kill rust paint when its time to paint,

sprint in victa has the stuff, about $20

P1020402.jpg

nout sure about rust underneath..the thing is so heavy i dont know how to get under and look.

Use those Ramps in the first picture! PUSH(with the help of a friend) it onto them BACKWARDS, so the A frame sites between the ramps, CHCOK THE WHEELS! Then inspect underneath!

Id be inclined to rub the entire trailer and chassis back with an 80-120 grit sand paper, this will help expose any bits of surface rust you may miss by thick coatings of paint originally, even the underside, as this will have stonechips and is a good place to collect mud causing rust.

From there, you can brush on fishoil to help stop any cancer spots from getting worse. or use the stuff you have if its enough.. If you have axcess to a MIG welder, you can fill up or plate the cancer spots that are detrimental.-just seen the pics.. make sure that is as big as they actually are.. poke at it with a screwdriver, till they wont get bigger...
possibly run a few lines of a flexible sealer down sides of each of the 3 gutters(Not a water based sealant obviously!)
Straighten them gutters out a bit while your at it, if you wanted to make it look shmicky, look at adding rubber door sealers(available from clark rubber) to the tops of the 3 gutters(6 lengths)-but do this last lol.
Possibly paint the bottom of the top side in a different colour to the gutters, gutters RED, flooring black, Grey.. good for when you have to load up at night and cant see a great deal! Also if possible try and get a few eyelet loops to screw into the front to tie off ropes to.. these will more than likely need to be reinforced by a piece of steel on the underside to stop the sheet metal tearing..

think about if you want to keep this trailer or sell it and get a newer(lighter) one in the future, If you are going to keep it, its worth doing right, if you want to sell it, do it so YOU would be happy to buy it...

will try and play with your pics a bit and see what can do.. a clear side shot would be good.. sitting with the coupling on a 20lt drum possibly....
Keep us updated..

Mate if you ask me you paid 120 too much lol, nah looks alright, but i no for a fact with cars if it has rust it cant get a rwc.. not that it would have any relovence to this i dont think..?

NON STRUCTUAL RUST will pass a roadworth.. if the chassis or structual panels, Sills,Floor,firewall, A, B and C pillar and veichle depending.. doors,have rust it will not pass. But you can have rust on the bonnet and boot-to an extent.. obviously gaping holes are unroadworthy, but a bit of surface rust is becoming quiet common on "newer" cars.. to think that VR bomodores are OVER 12 years old now!

Remove the Wheels, INSPECT the bearings, REGREASE them, its better to be safe than sorry...

Last edited:
ok well im hoping they are a bit less strict when it comes to trailers..haha :D Looks like i have a bit of work ahead of my, but it should be good. Ill get to work on the rust ASAP and check out the wheels. the trailer already has tie down loops in place so thats all good!

get me a side picture if ya can please mate... i wana play with some colours lol

Latest posts

Back