Pitster pro X4R

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cleaned the coil prongs and it still the same, anyway i can test the coil using a multimeter?

yeah,
set it to 200 Ohms, and put one lead to the earth terminal (or coil mounting point)
and the other lead to the black w/yellow stripe terminal
you should get a reading somewhere between .7 Ohms and 1 Ohm

the next test, you need to unscrew the spark plug cap off the end of the coil lead.
then set your meter to 2000 Ohms,
put one lead to the black w/yellow stripe terminal and the other lead needs to touch the wire in the end of the coil lead

this needs to read somewhere between 3 and 6 Ohms

if you get a reading much higher than these it shows the coil is on it's way out.

have you pulled the carby down and given it a decent clean out, then blow through all the holes/ports with compressed air ?
it may have some dirt or something lodged in one.
and check the needle and seat too,
if it is only playing up in the higher rpms, in 3rd and 4th, then the needle/seat may be blocked up a bit.
this can happen if a bit of rubber hose comes off as you refit the fuel line to the carby, after working on it.
if it has rubber in the needle seat, i would replace the whole fuel hose from the tap to the carb.
i guess you have a filter too ?

Havent got readings yet but my spark plug is black, should I play around with the needle settings?

you could, but nothing should have changed since it was running last though ?

I couldn't do the first reading but for the second one I got 7.80, this means the lead needs replacing right? The splitfire copy I ordered is in Australia atm so I should get it sometime this week.

That hole is the earth mounting point right?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1382862864409.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1382862864409.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 9
yeah it could be.
the green terminal is the one you need though.
with the other lead going to the black terminal

and 7.8 on the secondary could be a bit high resistance
can you warm the coil up a bit with a hairdryer to approx 30 degrees, then meausure it?

Last edited:
I warmed it up and got 0.50 ohm from prong to prong and 8k ohm from lead to green terminal. i also done the start of the lead to the end of it and it gave me 4.8k and the green terminal of the coil to the output which connects to the lead is 2.8k.

i think your coil still could be ok ?
some new coils have a reading of 9 Ohms on the secondary circuit

but if you can afford it, a new good brand coil will last a long time

I run the takegawa coil on all my bikes with a Ngk lead and iridium plug I'd suggest if your going to get a new coil then get the Ngk lead and iridium plug the lead that comes with takegawa coil is not as good as the Ngk.
You'll have a heaps better burn/spark and probably easier starts.

I got a split fire copy from china that should come sometime this week, I've heard is much better than the stock lead so ill try it out and see how it goes. What makes the iridium plug better than the standard NGK plug?

Got the new china splitfire today, had to trim some of the insulation to make it fit into the coil. It sound VERY different and starts up easier, i'll take it for a test run later and see if the cutting off in high revs still happens in 4th.

you will probably notice a difference in acceleration with the new lead, and your bike will run a bit more efficiently as it has a more powerful spark. its amazing what something as simple as a spark plug lead can make! also could you post up a link? i've gotta get me one :)

Latest posts

Back