Suzuki DS80 Build Up!

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Mate I picked up a similar DS80 off eBay and gonna be cleaning it right up, how did you clean the plastics up so well???

plastic's aren't too hard to clean

you just need a decent razor blade and scrape the white/discoloured oxidised stuff off,
be carefull not to gouge the plastic with the dge of the blade.
work length ways first then work across the piece just shaving a little at a time.
once you are happy with the colour, then give it a sand with some 3M or Norton 320 grit wet and dry, use lots of water
then rub the 320 scratches out with 600, then 1200 then 1500.
it will take a while to get a good finish.
then finish the plastic off with Meguires plastic polish and a soft cotton t-shirt or similar.

i have an '86 DS80 too.
i have recently being doing a bit of work on it.
i might have to start a build thread on that...

cheers, craig

Saw a similar method shown on Youtube, wasnt totally sure if it was serious or not obviously it is! Cheers might give that a go, only thing now is to find the number plate/headlight assembly, she had a full rebuild about 12 mths ago apparently and has barely been used since...

Yeah you can polish just about anything like aluminium, Stainless & plastic etc, Well not everything, Like the saying goes

"you cant polish a turd"

But you can roll it in glitter :aetsch:

Hey all!
New here from East Coast USA and like what I see!
Hey Dabomb? Sweet little ride you have there! Will continue to follow your progress. Could you possibly share the model/part# number of the FMF pipe you used here? I'm having a really hard time finding an FMF pipe that specifically fits an '86 DS80... I got mine about a month ago fo $100 US and haven't done much yet, except identify what it needs and start locating/purchasing parts. I'll get pics of my 3 mini projects up, as soon as I can.
Rides> 1986 Suzuki DS80 - work in progress
1970 Benelli Dynamo Woodsbike 65cc (complet but needs restoration)
2003 Honda XR80R - just bought last Friday, for only $400 US nearly immaculate and all it really needs is a carb kit (on the way). But...FMF Power Core 4 exhaust should arrive today, DID chain on the way (original owner apparently never heard of chain lube :mmph: ) got an MSR folding aluminum shift lever, but otherwise no plans (so far) to disturb the beautiful original condition.
Cool looking at everyone's minis! Great stuff here!
Look forward to more. :thumbup:

Last edited:
From some info I found on the bet the FMF Powercore 2 and fatty pipe from a JR80 apparently is a direct bolt up fit for the DS80... I'm gonna order to try it out

dabomb hasnt posted on here for almost 2 years now....
guessing he has moved forums?

Hey guys, don't wanna hijack the thread but I found this pic of a nice '91 model showing a obviously non genuine number plate, any ideas what it is as I wouldn't mind fitting it to mine, cheers!

http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/1809191/

Thumpin mate you are a living legend! Wonder if the fender will fit, the one on mine is pretty stuffed. Picked the bike up today few quick runs she goes alright, idles a little high but that can be fixed, shes pretty rough but I'll change that :)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339913905.735806.jpg

With a hammer grinder & welder or a run up anything can be made to fit!

Might just need to adjust the holes slightly with a die grinder or redrill some holes or it may just fit if your lucky

I wonder if the JR80 would be a better fit? Seems like the frame is almost the same between JR and DS?

Some RM65 (KX65 same bike) forks would be a nice conversion if possible? Complete with a disc brake front end too>

images

You would need to bring the rear suspension up to match it though

From some info I found on the bet the FMF Powercore 2 and fatty pipe from a JR80 apparently is a direct bolt up fit for the DS80... I'm gonna order to try it out

Thanks, dr oakenfold! I'll do the same and see how it goes.
And sorry, I thought I saw a post from dabomb earlier this month? Anyway, I appreciate any help from the rest of you:D
The pipe came Friday for the XR80 but I'm still waiting on the carb kit. Figure I'll do it all at once. Most of the parts for the DS are here and it's calling to me from the back of the garage, so I'll get to it soon!
Father's Day here in the US today, so Happy Father's Day to all of you that are...

Thumpin I like your thinking, wonder how hard it would be to swap from ds to rm forks??

Hey guys started scraping back my plastics tonight, not sure what to make of this, rear fender, left and right guards are same almost fluro yellow colour, front fender and gas tank almost like the older dull yellow from the 80's. I start scrapping back the front fender and the "paint" literally starts coming off to reveal the same fluro yellow underneath. Have I scrapped too hard or too deep or do you think maybe prev owner tried for some reason to paint them?? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340104463.680783.jpg

why are you guys still chatting on this guys old thread?
start one of your own.

Sorry my67xr, will do that now, just found some of the earlier info on this thread useful and from memory posed a question that got a response and didn't really want to go reinventing the wheel (no pun intended).

Latest posts

Back