The Legend of Chang Mai and her rebirth

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logicquests

If in doubt......Get the grinder out!!
Reaction score
Chang Mai and her conversion/Re-birth

The Time has come for Chang Mai, my trusty little hardworking Asian friend, to get some work.

Mixed31March2011001.jpg

Chang Mai has aged gracefully and has only had minimal age appropriate work done to her so far. No Botox for this little princess, no nips or tucks, just the basics. The occasional transfusion, some new clothes now and then and the odd pair of shoes.

Through the generosity of several members on this site I have found the bits and pieces I need to assist Chang Mai in her extreme makeover.

Chang was originally adopted for my children to have a little play friend. However, due to her wayward early years and her time spent in the gym, she was a bit of a handful. Chang was born as a 50 but through years of steroid abuse became a 110 with the roid rage to match. My children lived in fear of Chang as whenever they tried to ride her she would throw them off like a Shetland pony on crack. I have always enjoyed Changs company and although my partner occasionally became jealous of our relationship Chang and I would sneak off for a bit of fun and a ride at least once weekly.

Recently my daughter spent some alone time with Chang and they came to an agreement and mutual respect for each other.

Now to make an already long story longer but in turn give it all a point. I am going to give Chang Mai a new shot at life and set her up for my daughter to ride.

Things I am going to do:

I have some forks which I will be putting on Chang. They were originally from Jacks bike and were bought from the for sale section on this forum. I will probably need some new cups and bearings and I also need to get some handle bar risers to fit. These parts are available from Mini Bikes | Pitbikes | Dirt Bike Parts & Accessories | DHZ Mini Moto.

New Forks.
Mixed31March2011005.jpg

Current Forks.
Mixed31March2011006.jpg

I also have a new rear swing arm which will give Chang a couple more inches in height. This should help her be a little more stable and should save me a fortune in medication.

New Swingarm on red frame.
Mixed31March2011003.jpg

Current swingarm.
Mixed31March2011004.jpg

I have two new wheels and tyres. Well, I am yet to receive the rear wheel because the young lady in question thought it would be easier to drive the wheel from Melbourne to Sydney and deliver it personally. Now thats service.

The wheels were necessary due to the fact the new forks and also the new swing arm both used a 15mm axle. Lesson learnt. Check these things beforehand.

Chang will also have a new set of red baron bars, new grips and probably a whole heap of new bolts. New plastics will be added as well as graphics to make Chang a little more girlie for my daughter.

A couple of questions for people:

Should I swap Changs frame(China crf 50 generic) to the red frame seen with the new swingarm?
Better pick of red frame.
Mixed31March2011002.jpg

Should I do anything else that I have not thought of?

Hopefully someone enjoys seeing the transformation. Either way, I am sure my daughter will like the end result and Chang will be a youthful little Asian princess again.

A big shout out to Westpac Banking corporation for the sturdy bike stand.
Mixed31March2011006.jpg

I also need to thank Hillz for his cleaning tips. They have reduced my workload significantly.

Logic

Last edited:
Still need to get new front and rear axle's.

Forks are exactly the same size as the old ones.

It sits a little bit like a chopper at the moment so I think the extra few inches at the back will even things out a bit.

Red frame might be the go.

Logic

Still need to get new front and rear axle's.

Forks are exactly the same size as the old ones.

It sits a little bit like a chopper at the moment so I think the extra few inches at the back will even things out a bit.

Red frame might be the go.

Logic

I got a few axles here, let me know what length ya need :)

MF.

I will take some measurements and get back to you.

Thanks for the offer.

Logic

MF,

I need one x 230mm 15mm diameter axle and one 250mm 15mm diameter rear axle.

I also need a swingarm bolt based on the measurements I gave you earlier.

If you have any luck, let me know what I owe you and we can contribute to the running of Australia post.

Logic

Will the rear brake rod reach on the new swinger?

Can't think of anything else that might go awry, but it's easier in person... I'd be upgrading to the red frame :)

Krazed,

Very good point mate. Thats what I was looking for.

Thanks crazed.

I honestly appreciate your input.

Logic :)

No worries mate, perhaps take it as a chance to upgrade to a rear disc brake/wheel (especially as there is already a master cylinder mount on the frame). Perhaps you already thought of this seeing as you mentioned the need for new axles...

I'll overlook the mixed spelling of my user name for now :p

That new swinga looks like its a disc brake swinga, the stub for the rear brake might be too far foward for the drum brake plate, i could be wrong. If it isn't too far foward it might just need a hit with the grinder to fit in the drum brakes groove. If you dont want to buy new axles you can buy this sleeve for the axles, and seeing your wheels are 12mm axle you can use it as both a sleeve and a spacer
SLEEVE 15MM TO 12MM bearing bearings Wheel Hub Axle Rim (eBay item 330283514389 end time 22-May-11 15:07:27 AEST) : eBay Motors

I just gave my room a good clean out and here is the box just under half full.. I have a shed to go thru yet
227338_10150169342907544_684492543_6774164_522759_n.jpg

Ha ha should have plenty of good stuff for ya Paulie! See ya thursday!

Cool.

Thanks Rach. I am sure it will all be put to good use.

Motodevo.

I searched long and hard for a sleeve. I contacted all sorts of metal traders and the only solution I could find was a stainless, seamless hydraulic tube. I had to buy 6 metres of it though and thought for the $250.00 I would be better off going for new wheels/axles etc.

I may have to get one of these as a back up.

Logic

I havent really done a great deal more at this stage.

I am still planning away and making sure I have what I need so it can be an afternoon job with a spanner.

Looks like I am changing to the red frame. This will need to be sandblasted and powdercoated as I like a black background to start painting on.

Changed fork oil in the new forks today and found a great place to source all sorts of bolts from. They are local and they deal in every kind of nut and bolt you could think of.

I will be getting to know them well.

Logic

Last edited:
Nice i loved these old 110's .

Imo i wouldn't change to that big bunky twin tube frame , keep it small and crf 50 ish size , would definitely suit 10" inch wheels alot better.

Good stuff Paulie , are you leaving the 10" front on this powerhouse or will you be putting on a 12" front ? Keep us posted mate

Well. I now have the rear wheel and axle.

I need to get a couple of things from DHZ. Handle bar risers and new cups/bearings if I want to use the red frame. New plastics and graphics and that will be about it.

I pulled the forks apart the other day and all of the internals look good. I will replace the oil with a 10w. If anyone has any ideas regarding the fork oil, I would be happy to take advice.

I will get some more pics up over the next couple of days.

Logic

RDN.

Leaving it 10/10 at the moment. Its fun to ride and should be even better being a couple of inches longer and taller.

Logic

Just a quick update.

This week has been a bit full on so I havent had a great deal of time on it.

Yesterday I put the swingarm on and also the forks, new handle bar riser and tried to put the graphics on the plastics. I now know why I should have gone to uni and completed my bachelor of sticker application. Oh well, we live and we learn.

I have thrown up a bad photo. Please keep in mind the front tyre is flat and off its rim. I pretty much just wanted to get an idea of the dimensions before I went completely nuts.

utf-8BSU1HMDAxMTYtMjAxMTA1MTMtMTY0OS5qcGc.jpg

I think it should work out O.K.

logic

Latest posts

Back