Uni Filter Split

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willis

Reaction score
So the Unifilter i bought a few months ago, has a smooth rubber flange which refuses to stay on my carby, unless i manage to get it just right and clamp it tight, unlike the stock airfilter which has ribs and will happily stay in place.
The Unifilter has split completely now, which would be expected of course, but at the same time i don't see it being avoidable?

I use a solvent to clean the flange free from oil, have any of you got any other tricks to get these on easily if i buy a new one?:confused: or i may just buy a factory air filter, so much less hassle when cleaning after every ride.

Cheers

im not sure but could say try using wd40 thats works for everythings even my filteroil in somepoints also if you have a heat gun refitting it just warm it with a heat gun dont melt it but just so it nice an soft should fit of easy then but idk wait to see what the otherguys say

I found mine split too. I think its from doing it up too tight. I now dont over tighten it and put the worm drive clamp towards, if not a mm over the edge, as in toward the carb side.

Ive had two carbs and two different sizes, the one i have now is held on by a zip tie. I slip it on and off with the same zip tie, never have it fall off.

i bought one too thinking it works awsome with everyone else!
mine split and i havent used it since!
i now use a redline unifilter off a datsun 1600 engine held on by a zip tie!
never had any troubles with it!

The Unifilter has split completely now...

I use a solvent to clean the flange free from oil ...

Cheers

Use petrol or ANY solvent to clean a filter and that's the end result ... I learnt to use soapy water a long time ago ...

Motor oil stuffs 'em up too ...

Solvents / petroleum dries the oil up in plastic and foam causing it to harden and break down ... Even dishwashing liguid destroys foam over time ... just check out any of your MO's old dishwashing pads ...

Cheers Cactus Jack, never thought about it affecting the air filter, there's a fair amount of misleading information thrown about the place haha, it does make sense though. When you say use soapy water, do you mean a mild soap like diluted handwash (if dishwashing liquid is unsafe)?

I had a uni filter I split a while back. The first time I tried to install it.

I am currently building another bike using the engine/carby the uni filter was bought for.

I still had the uni filter with the split rubbery bit and thought I would try to mend it.

Having owned several pairs of Doc Martens through my years. One thing I learned whilst having these shoes is that if the sole split from standing on glass or something sharp, just heat up a knife poke it into the hole and then push the edges together. The sole would bond and you would be walking on air again in a minute or two.

I applied the same principal to the rubber part of the uni filter. It took a little bit longer but the results were the same.

Dont use one of mums good knives though, stop at a vinnies or salvo's store and pick up a couple of knives for this very purpose. The knife will not look great on a dinner table after it has been heated and used to melt whatever the rubbery stuff is.

I hope this can save a few people $30.00 and a wasted weekend of not riding.

logic

or people should buy the correct size uni ( not the one that looks like it should fit ) and wash it correctly and it will last you for years.

i have split one myself and about 99% of time its user error especially when using one with an oko you need make sure you have it on right and your clamp is on 100% or it will happen just take your time!!

I had the right size but it ws the first one I had put on. by the time I realised I was doing something wrong it had split.

My comment above was just in case anyone else had done this with a perfectly good uni filter and didnt want to throw it away.

logic

I had the same problem at start but got around it with a ziptie

I wash mine in petrol. Then hose it out. Use a dry clean rag to clean the flange. Let the rest air dry.
When installing it the clamp should be on as far as it goes and only tighten the slightest bit and you will never split it.
What splits them is a combination of the clamp been overtightened and the filter slipping back off a touch onto the outer flange of the carbie and it cuts the rubber.

Mineral turps is the thing for these filters.

From what I know it doesnt stuff up the glues etc.

Some others use dishwashing liquid and water as well with good results.

logic

Well.

There goes the guess work folks.

I was half right and half wrong. I should probably delete my previous post as it amounted to nothing.

Thanks GDP. Always there in the right place at the right time.

logic

Latest posts

Back