what engine to buy...

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi guys, i am looking for a little advice here... i currently have a gpx 125 in my bike and am hungry for more but i cant decide on the tb version of the gpx i currently have or a 155/160 ho... i love the way my engine revs but im just not convinced that the gpx 125 engine dhz sell with the tb parts would be competitive against the torque of the bigger engines could someone please enlighten me ..........

nothing can replace cc's a 155 or 160 (not a heap of diffferance in power just in the delivery) with a tb head will go harder than any 125 thats around and i know for a fact if you leave the s35 cam in the tb head on a 155 its got a whole heap of power up top (how ever put a 184 kit on it and you have that power all round)
although when you do that you will burn up clutches/baskets and your tranny is more likley to fail (not expensive to fix anyways) if you have the cash i would go a 150 or 190 anima but there over 1k they have a better tranny.. a really smooth power output and so far have proven to be reliable (sure some other fellas will chime in)
however you may buy a 155 and be happy with the power output as stock (you may want to up the valve spring pressure by swapping them out for some more rpm) i found the original power output to be annoying and flat so to speak

geez zwebx ur a fussy rider!! ;) just jokin mate. but yeh if you can afford it, gewt the 150 or 190 animas. there nice engines, and from what i've hgeard there pretty reliable

im fussy about my motors because the 1st day i was out on my own at the track i got a taste of kostas bike (his 190 tb bike) ever since then its been a battle of the funds to get a similar bike lol
if your on a pitbike size pitbike and not a midsize like me and most of the racers (timeeh exluded) maybe a 150 will do because i have a ball on the yx 150 (honda style) so far it has given me no issues other than the ones i cause (over tightening and whatnot) and i really dont think you could use all of a 184 in a pitbike sized frame all the time i mean maybe in 3rd or 4th gear but thats only sometimes..

i have ridden a daytona 150 in a midsized.. i found the power to be really really controllable (i could not hoon it too much either because he had no front brakes that he decided to tell me after the 1st lap :p) it would be great for somone getting into the sport or maybe trail riding imo (not talking it down just what i thought maybe he had the wrong jetting? it felt allright to me) because of its usable tractable power that someone has obviously in china or the daytona factory spent hours and hours on the dyno.. grinding cams to get that power curve.. i have not had a go on the 190 yet so i cant say much about it.. however i have had a bit of time on a 184 and i found it to have pretty good power from idle to rev limit it may not be as tractable as the daytona but with a little throttle controll i prefer it(compared to the 150 and that should not be compared because there different cc's) however after riding kostas race bike 67mm slug and tbv2 head makes me kinda wish my gearbox blows up and my funds go up to have a reason to pull the cases apart to get bored out to say a 70mm slug (really pushing the limits) and hope that the gearbox does not grenade every single race..

the only problem i had with the yx 150 is when i bought it and i got the whole bike cheap as possible.. 300 bucks. and i found on disassembly that the only problem was is that the crank gear was loose (primary drive) it took me 1 extra ring gear to work that one out too :p after locktiting the nuts that hole the primary drive gear on and clutch on i have done atleast 30ish hrs of trail riding and hard days at the track without issue..
the things i like about the yx 150 (i know im getting carried away with typing but i cant help it) the yx 150's power curve is from almost the bottom to the top of the rpm range and i have ridden it on frankston mx track (pitbike track) and found i only really had to change gear for one corner.. but that may have been me being a pussy :p i have ridden it around a gokart track and had no reason to pull full throttle untill the straights (on motard tyres) and only found myself running out of power on the main straight and still then it would pull me to redline (approx 85kph) and around the corners i was able to mess up and spin the arse end infront of me in 1st and 2nd gear.. trail riding it has pretty good gearing for (pretty) and i was cruzing with a neby on a husaberg 501 all day (his 1st time on dirt) and still no problems with the bike (accept for some good ole monkey but)

thats it im sick of typing now.. i should be writing this stuff for my blog not here lol

I have not really heard any feedback from someone who has got the works gpx125, but in saying that I reckon it would be nuts and would prob eat some stock 150s and maybe 160s, sure you cant beat big cc's but if you are a confident skillful rider than I cant see how it could not be very competitive against others on largers engine bikes. I know a young fella who races junior solo and sure they start and stay in 3rd gear the whole race but to see his stock gpx 125 eat the huge dollar kitacos is priceless.

You can buy my yx 150, 170 kit, new TB billet clutch if ya want. I can even get it to Tassie for you. Ill leave the carby, all rejetted to suit larger bore, and Uni filter on it and exhaust header pipe. Also has new red billet dress up kit too,wow

YX is more for all around power, rawish on low revs. Daytona is more top-end power, has its shortcoming on low end. That's what an expert class racer told me, he said he doesnt like daytona, not enough power on low end :D

I have not really heard any feedback from someone who has got the works gpx125, but in saying that I reckon it would be nuts and would prob eat some stock 150s and maybe 160s, sure you cant beat big cc's but if you are a confident skillful rider than I cant see how it could not be very competitive against others on largers engine bikes. I know a young fella who races junior solo and sure they start and stay in 3rd gear the whole race but to see his stock gpx 125 eat the huge dollar kitacos is priceless.

Agreed, i have a gpx 125 myself i reckon if you actually get a tb kit for it it would be maybe even better than the 160ho thats my opinion ofcourse, ive owned a yx160 and tested the top speeds of both the gpx 125 is pretty damn close to it without a doubt.

I've got a gpx125 and tb184/160ho
If your going to put the tb stuff on the 160ho then go that
If not stay with the gpx. My 184 is a stock 160 at the moment and the gpx is much more fun and faster out of corners and straight line.
The 160ho has half the rpm as the gpx. 160 with a v2 is pretty good
Gpx125 and 184 are my favourite engines I've had in my bikes.

I've got a gpx125 and tb184/160ho
If your going to put the tb stuff on the 160ho then go that
If not stay with the gpx. My 184 is a stock 160 at the moment and the gpx is much more fun and faster out of corners and straight line.
is the 184 tb'd (the head)?
the only way i could stay with a stock ho head is stronger valve springs and maybe roller rockers

hey guys thanks for the responses as for bike size its a dhz frame (140 frame i think not 100% sure but im puttin the big wheel kit on it so not a small bike..) i love the way my gpx revs thats the reason im hesitant on the bigger cc engines... how much would u want 2 have the engine shipped down here n how many hours on it?

is the bike crf50 style or crf70 style?
if you want something similar but got a little more power id go either the 160ho with a TB v2 race head. tb v2 race head is $390 and 160ho is $599 with a flatslide carby, so thats $989 without carby
or go the daytona anima thats $1'199 i think

what carby do you have on the GPX125?

is the bike crf50 style or crf70 style?
if you want something similar but got a little more power id go either the 160ho with a TB v2 race head. tb v2 race head is $390 and 160ho is $599 with a flatslide carby, so thats $989 without carby
or go the daytona anima thats $1'199 i think

what carby do you have on the GPX125?

Or buy a 2nd hand 160/150 $350(approx) and a new gearbox 100 (for good measure) then the tb head

crf50 style... currently have a 24mm oko on the gpx and a 32mm exhaust... the 125 goes hard for its size but i am a speeed freak and just cant get enough lol has anyone at all bought the tb 125cc? i really wanna now how much more power they have over the stock-o gpx and why its dearer than the 155 and 160s

yeah to be honest im now tossin up over the tb version 125 or the daytonas cause o the low redline on these 155 n 160 donks.. i love a engine that loves 2 rev....................

chuck stronger springs in it then, its a cheap fix and if you really want nuts rpm go for ti retainers and the strongest valve springs avaliable with a long duration low lift cam.. with all this being said PM phill for his motor he will look after you better than anyone on ebay, scumtree will

Mine revs fairly well, to make it rev more put a different CDI on it to increase or take away the rev limiter. Then need stronger valve springs. Stock YX springs are too soft and can valve bounce easy, not that I ever valve bounce mine.

How old are you mate? been riding long?

28 and im no pro rider but can handle a bike ok... i was always a car nut and downhiller but then my kids got into motorbikes and pitbikes were the most afordable option and next thing u no im hooked... and ill give my new toy a tb head when she arrives i reckon (providing our transaction goes through phil67)

Latest posts

Back