What model is my Kawasaki bike? No spark issue

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kawasakimini

Reaction score
Hello everybody!! Just picked up a 70's Kawasaki bike. Any idea of what Year? Also, have a weird spark issue. No spark when kill switch is pressed, no spark when kill switch is NOT pressed. But DO have spark if i keep tapping the killswitch while kicking it over!?!?

IMG_1246[1].JPG

Last edited:
Thats a Kawasaki kv75. I reckon you have a break in the wires and tapping the kill switch is causing it to connect.

Welcome to Miniriders,

Yeah it sure is a KV75.
They were made between 1971 and 1980, you should have a frame number stamped into the fork/headset tube that will help you work out what year your bike is.

I reckon there'd be a lot of corrosion inside the Housing/Switch and contacts, it might be repairable still?
Take the throttle off the handlebars, there will be a couple of philips head screws holding the switch into the throttle housing, undo them and the switch should come out, or apart.
Clean up the brass switch contacts with some steel wool and CRC/WD40 then wipe off any corrosion/dirt etc,
give them another light spray and reassemble the switch back into the housing,
You should be good to go.
If something is worn out, or broken, if you can't buy a new replacement, you might be able to replace that part with one off a similar year Kawasaki.

Handlebar/Switches etc 1971-1975
parts kawasaki kv75 motorcycle accessories spares replacement aftermarket
Handlebars/Switches etc 1976-1980

if it isn't repairable, then disconnect the kill switch wire down near the coil, and tape it up secure.
Then buy a new aftermarket one that bolts to the bars and use that instead
You can get them cheap off ebay etc, might need to fit new crimp on terminals to suit the KV wiring loom
Kill Stop Switch Horn Button 22mm Handlebar Switch Motorcycle Motorbike 7 8" | eBay
Universal Handlebar Kill Brake ON OFF Motorcycle Switch Button Bullet Connector | eBay
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ON-OFF-B...28?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item4188b9aed0
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ner-Mini...rcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3aa1a940c0

Last edited:
I'll try cleaning up the switch tomorrow and let you guys know what happens. Thanks for the advice!

Going by the tank colour and stripes, i'm guessing it's a 1979 model
BikePics - 1979 Kawasaki Kv75 Home Page on BikePics.Com

bikepics-2197870-800.jpg

bikepics-2197869-800.jpg

Latest posts

Back