What would you choose?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What Yamaha would you choose?

• WR250. Year 2001. $2300

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • YZ250. Year 1999. $2400

Votes: 6 66.7%

• Total voters

Sidney

Reaction score
Hey fellas.

I'm hunting for a 250.

I'm just wondering what you would choose out of these two bikes, they both have their pros and cons.

1. Yamaha WR250. Year 2001. $2300
2. YZ250. Year 1999. Price $2400.

The problem with both of them is that I'm not sure when they are going to need rebuilds and how much it is going to burn a hole in my pocket.

I will be using the bike for track use and jumps, no road use.

thanks.

Sid,

Some advice that you may find useful if your a 1st time of buying a proper bike is 4 stroke will be way easier to maintain and will most likely have less problems if it has been well looked after.

The WR is newer and less money + a WR is road registrable.

I think that choice is a no brainer.

Sid,

Some advice that you may find useful if your a 1st time of buying a proper bike is 4 stroke will be way easier to maintain and will most likely have less problems if it has been well looked after.

In other words, choose the yz :p

In other words, choose the yz :p

why would that make you choose the YZ?

Sid is talking about getting his road license eventually and that would mean he could continue to use his current bike.

I guess you like making things hard for yourself then?

Do you mean the yzf or just yz? Deffinately go the YZ if you're not going to be riding on the road.

Im going the WR though because I need to ride on the road aswell.

The WR is geared differently, has a different engine, and wont be near as good as the YZ for jumps and racing.

If you get the WR you'll just end up selling it for the YZ.

No way not everything is about racing...

And having to put up with the buzzing sound of a 2 stroke would drive me mental.

The WR would have way more torque like through the roof compared to the YZ and therefor would be way more fun around trails and roosting dirt.

are you fuking srs?!?!?! 2 STROKE MOFO!!!!!

id buy the yz250, but a 250cc 1999 for $2400 thats damn cheap if you were to buy it id have a good look at it ton make sure something isnt wrong

yeah and stumbows sidney said there will be no road use in his first post.. i'd go the yz cos he wants to jump it and ride tracks and shit go for the yz for shure

The WR will require more maintenance then the yz250. But... i highly doubt you will be able to handle the power of a 250cc 2 stroke. The 250f has the 4 stroke friendly attitude while a 250cc 2 stroke has the ripping your arms off type of attitude. Once you get used to the 250cc 2 stroke you will most likely find it more fun to ride then a 4 stroke. Nothing will beat the raw power and sound a 250 2 stroke makes.

doesnt the yzf and the wr have the same engine with different gear ratios? i know its like that with the crfr's and the crfx's

if you are needing it for the road like flarry go the wr, if you just want a big bike for track and jumps go the yz.

i'd like tyo see sid ride a 250 2 -stroke!!!! talk about loop out!!! or even death with a un trained youngster behind the bars..... you should realy start on a 125

Ok so he's not using it for the road but i would still choose a 4 stroke like a YZF.

because i get more enjoyment out of big low down torque over power at super high revs.

i'd like tyo see sid ride a 250 2 -stroke!!!! talk about loop out!!! or even death with a un trained youngster behind the bars..... you should realy start on a 125

I already have practiced on a 125. How the hell is it even possible to be too powerful?

It's not like you touch the throttle and the bike shoots off I'm not stupid.

EDIT: Is the YZ250 self mixing or do you have to mix the fuel in a jerry can?

Last edited:
How the hell is it even possible to be too powerful?

It's not like you touch the throttle and the bike shoots off I'm not stupid.

EDIT: Is the YZ250 self mixing or do you have to mix the fuel in a jerry can?

Thats exactly what a 250 2 stroke is like. They are very snappy engines. I remember the first time I rode my mates 250sx and I coudlnt believe how much more powerful it was compared to my rm125. You can be in any gear at almost any speed and a quick flick of the wrist will have you out sideways or doing a big wheelie :p

Yep, if you're unexperienced it can scare the crap out of you! Especially if you're unfamiliar with the power band.

If you're going to ride it on proper legal race tracks - then get the YZ but if you're going to be a turkey and ride in illegal areas - I'd get the WR and get it REGISTERED ....... that way the cops can't touch you unless you're unlicensed and they pull you up to check . At least the fines will be a lot more affordable . Also a used YZ is more likely to have had the coit reamed out of it ......... LOL ......

Latest posts

Back