Xr/klx mutant motor

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hmmm you got me thinking now. do you know anyone that has for sure specs on the cams?

i had a hss big i made a keeper groove cutter with. i don't remember where i heard of read it but i was either told or read on ti you should grind not turn it. i'm a dealer for kibble and what i paid for them to cut everything to size was like 20-30 more than the blank.

The Tak cams all have the same 6.25mm lobe height, just different duration, 230/240/250/270 for the 15/20/25/35.

exhaust all done one step closer to finishing woo who! now the list stands at FRAME- strip and prep for powder coat, weld some tabs on for a oil cooler and maybe massage the metal a lil bit where the carb sits just to give myself a little more room. MOTOR- tranny racks are tumbling should be done soon, clutch is on the way, make a backing plate for my stage 3 tokyo mods ing. finish the one chain slide, slot the cam gear, freshen up the valve job and assemble head then clay the piston see if i need any more relieve for piston valve and i think the motor will be ready to be cleaned and final assembly :) shouldn't be much longer til i hear this thing fire up.

exhaust003.jpg

exhaust005.jpg

almost got the startor plate done gears are done tumbling just have to tumble the shift drum and forks and thats done.

statorplatemutantmotor013.jpg

statorplatemutantmotor016.jpg

statorplatemutantmotor014.jpg

statorplatemutantmotor018.jpg

Dang, you're getting close!

Be interesting to see if it shifts that much smoother than Jake's. Should. Nice work. Did you end up getting the other media, or stick with the hammer-time stuff? lol

You should have a package-O-projects in time for the weekend. I get to spend mine REMOVING the black from a couple sets of Honda cases, and powdercoating a V2 matte black. No body's happy with the way things come stock.

Dang, you're getting close!

Be interesting to see if it shifts that much smoother than Jake's. Should. Nice work. Did you end up getting the other media, or stick with the hammer-time stuff? lol

You should have a package-O-projects in time for the weekend. I get to spend mine REMOVING the black from a couple sets of Honda cases, and powdercoating a V2 matte black. No body's happy with the way things come stock.

Yes I am. I am thinking if mid term, work, and parts that are still in transit don't throw wrenches in my plan I might be able to hear this thing fire up within a months time.

If it does shift nicer than Jakes ill be really impressed Jakes shifts so nice. Lol that could also be cause I have been pissing with the il shifting imports lately. No still using the media a hammered it works good now that I broke it up. I honestly didn't think the lil tumbler/vibrator was going to do chit.

Ha ha I hate cleaning cases. Hell I hate cleaning period. That should look pretty wild. I have thought about doing that to My cylinder and head at one point but I heard it don't dissapate heat well when you p/c them. Dont know if there is any truth behind that. So to play it on the safe side I decided against it figure its already going to generate alot of heat with that big ol piston.

This one's going in a Sachs MadAss, in Iowa, so all high-speed road work. Big cooler, should stay plenty cool. Puny 66mm piston leaves decent amount of aluminum for cooling;)

Photo381.jpg

This one's going in a Sachs MadAss, in Iowa, so all high-speed road work. Big cooler, should stay plenty cool. Puny 66mm piston leaves decent amount of aluminum for cooling;)

Photo381.jpg

ooooo thats pretty. puny 66 what!? lol how many other xr 80s do you know of with 66mill pistons. i know i know its not a xr cylinder shhhhh our secret. i could always fully commit and do a 70mill? like you did and run here pretty thin. thats to come when i find out if it lives at 66mm if it does it will be a home crafted billet cylinder though and prolly nikasiled instead of sleeved. ;-)

ooooo thats pretty. puny 66 what!? lol how many other xr 80s do you know of with 66mill pistons. i know i know its not a xr cylinder shhhhh our secret. i could always fully commit and do a 70mill? like you did and run here pretty thin. thats to come when i find out if it lives at 66mm if it does it will be a home crafted billet cylinder though and prolly nikasiled instead of sleeved. ;-)

LOL. Yeah, that's a big XR80, just a run-O-the-mill FP YX195 here, though;)

70mm? You'll be wanting that billet jug, as there's a potential lack of structural integrity...

10-06-10009.jpg

Lol that's exactly why I stuck to the 66mm piston. Proven to take a whooping and not have over heating issues. Figured that I could always go bigger laterneed to see if it lives now first:)

looks realy good mate . when do u think it will be finished? and what pipe are you going to use?

i'm hoping to have it fully completed in within 2 months. least thats my goal. i'm using a jardine 150r exhaust that i had to hack up fab and reweld to make work with the klx head.

O yer sweet . How meany houres have you put into it? .
Do you have your own engine building shop? It looks so neat and clean ahah

O yer sweet . How meany houres have you put into it? .
Do you have your own engine building shop? It looks so neat and clean ahah

how many hours hmm alot lol. i never really sat down and thought about it. It would be hard to gauge it cause there was alot of thinking and mathing to get where i'm at. if i where to do another one it would be half the time of what this one is taking due to i know where things needs to be and know how to tackle it more effieciently. no i work out of my humble two car garage just have the right tool to do the job ;-). thanks i been trying to keep everything neat and tidy as if it were to come from the factory like this.

progress is slow, i'm at a point that i absolutely hate doing! i hate prepping, blasting, polishing and cleaning. got the sub frame blasted, most of the frame blasted, got the rear rim apart blasted and labeled. got a great deal on these excel rims w/ talent hubs. bet you cant guess why? wouldn't be the horrible color combo a nice red with gold. when they are done they will be black rims and hubs w/ neon orange spokes like my frame.

blasted001.jpg

blasted005.jpg

blasted007.jpg

blasted009.jpg

can't wait to see this thing finished. will be interesting to see how it goes in terms of reliability - not that I'm doubting your mechanical ability in anyway. You are a god in my opinion. They should erect a statue with your name on it.

Latest posts

Back