yx 160 head on 155z

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took off the cam chain cover to find one of the bolts had stripped off and been flying around and the other was only finger tight at best. Makes me wonder how well I did them up last time I had the cam chain sprocket off.. inside the bottom valve cover there was a broken piece of metal floating around, looks like a pretty important part of the lifter or something. The top thing on top of the valve spring stays up more than it stays down. Drops down occasionally when I push the kick starter... hmmm.

was the broken bit something off of one of the rockers ?

Motorcycle-lifan-cb144-lifan-150-14-chain-water-font-b-rocker-b-font-font-b-arm.jpg

Yeah definately was.. the flat side, And inside the top valve cover it was the other side there with the little nut that stays sticking up..

Yeah you just busted a rocker, no problem.
Take camchain off, two phillips that hold your rocker arm retaining plate Pull the shaft out and the rockers will drop out and put some tb alloy roller rockers on..

Assuming you havnt damaged anything else. eg cam etc..

What would have caused me to bust a rocker? I did have a noticeable head knock and was blowing ****loads of smoke before it happened. But ran good with Great power so dunno if timing was an issue!

a busted rocker could have been caused by the valve hitting the piston.. something coming between the rocker and the head..
wearing thin..
Probably bent a valve. too atleast.
Would have damaged a valve stem seal and would have caused the smoke

New engine it is.. is there much of a market on here for engines in need of repair? Im probarbly better off taking it apart and trying to learn what I obviously have no idea about..

New engine it is.. is there much of a market on here for engines in need of repair? Im probarbly better off taking it apart and trying to learn what I obviously have no idea about..
you are certainly better off doing it yourself. or atleast pulling it apart..

Better than a new 600 motor. these are simple to work on.

if you're quick, you can buy that Z160Ho head off motorman

if you need help removing/fitting yours, i can show you how to do it.
what area are you in ?

Hey my67xr, Im in salisbury downs. I just dont know enough to know if thats all im up for. Ive been running the wrong oil which worries me a bit. Have no idea how fragile these engines really are. I can get a brand new zongshen 155 engine at my door for $520 from atomik in melbourne but if I can be convinced its not worth it you never know...

if you wan't to bring it to my place at some stage, i can pull the top end off while you're here and check it out, no charge
then work out where to go from there.

if you wan't to bring it to my place at some stage, i can pull the top end off while you're here and check it out, no charge
then work out where to go from there.

What area do you live in. I work all over adelaide so I can hire a trailer and bring it up and show you if your happy to spare the time. Id really appreciate that.

I will give ya 100 + postage for the remainder of your engine if you dont need it anymore..

Brenton bought his bike around the other night and we took the head off.
it had a bent inlet valve and broken rocker
one of the cam bolts had snapped off and dropped into the timing chain/cam gear, and the other was loose.
and the timing chain had stretched badly too.

the fix we have come up with is to use another head and timing chain.
the replacement head etc is off a YX160 and has a KLX exhaust port.
i started cleaning up the YX head tonight and it looks pretty good, valves and rockers look sweet.
and the valves seal in this head too, just as they should ! lol

i should have it back together tomorrow sometime, then just need to refit the exhaust and try it out.

the exhaust valve stem seal was leaking pretty bad

here is the new head, i have given it a bit of a clean up in the ports

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back