'04 Thumpy Resto/Build

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you running the stock flywheel and stator? still reckon it may be neutral wire related if it only does it in gear, with the clutch in... does it pull ok once you get rolling, or does it not even get that far?

swap "humanely euthanase it" with "have intimate relations with it", and "misery" with "sheer bouts of ecstasy", and i'd believe you Troy...

ha ha ha ;)

i just think it looks crap and should go onto my crap rx to make that fully crap

you running the stock flywheel and stator? still reckon it may be neutral wire related if it only does it in gear, with the clutch in... does it pull ok once you get rolling, or does it not even get that far?

ah it doesnt get that far..

it was running great..

then all i did was secure the plastics and now it runs ****.. might take plastics off hahaha

check ya havent pulled a cdi wire out of the harness clip...

also check the basics... kinked fuel line, blocked tank breather, fouled plug, earth wires, dodgy kill switch sht like tht...

yaha. then you can go post this in ask the tech masters.... lol

MY build thread... lol...

Bubbles!... MY bubbles!... ;)

Thump - 1, Keihin PE24 - 0

heh heh, finally had a win with this stoooopid friggin carby, as per usual, turned out to be a simple fix...
couldnt get it to run right, air leaks from some odd ports, high idle etc etc, lean, black smoke at idle, flames at revs etc etc...
Turns out all that was needed was for the ports to actually be blocked, not linked...
Blocked the ports off, one kick and she settles down to a nice idle...
Took it for a squirt up the driveway, seems to go quite well with 36 pilot and unknown main, i believe a 112... needle is on the bottom clip, and runs relatively clean at WOT all loaded up. :) hold the shift to second on the lever just a tiny bit and she lifts the front wheel. awesome. :D
doesnt seem to be as punchy up top as the 21 and 26 okos i tried on it, but has a better spread down low and a bit torquier, which is a good thing with the auto box...
i've also found that it's massively overbraked... braking strength is huge, and pulls the thing up on a 5c coin.. Win!
My parts from AKunar showed up as well, so it now has a sweet looking BungBon 1/4 turn throttle with kill switch and e-start button... cable is about ten feet long, and of a weird thread size where it screws into the throttle, so it's routed down the right side of the tank, around behind and under the rear shock mount, then back to the carby.. seems to be working ok, and is nice and tidy.. :)
So now it's nearly done... just waiting on some graphics for it, and a new battery to run the e-start, and a better and longer shock, and she's all apples...

Photos to come shortly. :)

pics of completed bling...
just thought i'd throw a few up.. few more close ups of the metalkast painted items... and the carby all set and ready to rip...
Brake calipers, gear lever, business end, and just a lil one to show the "squeezy" nature of the PE fitment... aint much room left...
26090-04-thumpy-resto-build42.jpg

26090-04-thumpy-resto-build43.jpg

26090-04-thumpy-resto-build44.jpg

26090-04-thumpy-resto-build45.jpg

26090-04-thumpy-resto-build46.jpg

26090-04-thumpy-resto-build47.jpg

he he, i did mask them, but the tape blew off halfway through, and it's a bit squeezy for the dremel to get a wire brush in there... once the paint cures a bit better, then i'll pull em out and clean em up... didnt want to take the bleed nipples out, and get brake fluid on my shiny paint.. :)

Oh Motoluver, if you go back a page or two, find the link for the carby kit, that store on egay sells the velocity stacks for a range of carby diameters..

Padtheirm in Thailand or something like that...

Test Ride Number #1. Partial Fail... :(

Ok, so i finally took the thing out for a squirt further than up the driveway and around the back patio...
Three things became immediately apparent...
1: The rear shock is completely, utterly and definately f***ed... MST-BAG will be going on shortly... Spring weight to suit my fat ass, longer overall length to jack the back and get the ergos and frame geometry right, and damping that actually stops the seat from pile driving my kidneys into the base of my skull...
2: For such a gentle countershaft/swingarm pivot/rear axle angle, i need to run a HEAP of slack in the chain to keep it from overtightening as the swingarm moves through it's arc... so if anyone tells me i need to tighten my chain, i'm going to ban you...
3: I should have got off my lazy ass and picked up the jets from the post office saturday morning.... For the filming section of the test ride, needle jet was way off the mark, which you can hear with the popping at mid throttle in the vid...
After filming, moved the clip up the needle a bit to lean it out, and made it much, much better, but the main is still stock, and thus may as well be a bucket with a hole in it... a #112 main is about 20 jets too big... A #92 will be going in before the next testing day...

On the whole, i'm really happy with the way the bike runs and handles, given it's still got a blown shock... the bars give it a bit of stability with the extra width, the brakes are EPIC and pull you up VERY VERY quickly. The rear brake is actually too strong, and the most gentle of dabs is pretty much like throwing out a parachute... The same shop i got the carby from, sells real purty left and right Brake Master cylinders, in the same anodised red as the rest of the bling, so i'm gonna grab those, and run a Left hand brake lever, so i can exercise a little more "one finger control" over the Drag Brakes that are the rear stoppers... :) They also come with trick anodised levers, so Win Win there...
The engine is running quite well, but feeling a little tired these days, so a top end rebuild might be on the cards if it stays as a serious mini... if it's retired to the lounge with the Bling40, it'll stay as is... The PitPro forks could do with an oil change, but i didnt manage to bottom them out, so i'm thinking they're ok for now... Best of all, the +4 swingarm has completely eradicated the "Thumpy-Twitch", where the stock ones just decide to kick sideways in the rear for no good reason in a straight line... Hanging to see how it goes with perfect jetting, a new rear shock and a smaller rear sprocket... The 17/41 is a bit on the short side, and makes the power feel very flat... If it still doesnt improve, it'll be on like donkey kong with an OKO24.... I want that topend sting back... :(
Now that i've ridden it, yes, it's a far better bike than the original 04 Thumpy was...
Is it more fun??... No... but that's what happens when you take a bike with severe limitations, and try to step outside them... It's still a damn site faster than the original though. Overall, i'd say Win. :D
All that remains now, is the brake masters, the shock, and the Replica graphics, and this one is done... Then it's onto the "MonsterMini" Builds #1 and #2...

anyways, heres the vid of the test ride... Turn it up, play it LOUD... :D
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ytpYhaVNTjk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ytpYhaVNTjk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Latest posts

Back