1985 Xr600 Project

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GooseMan

Reaction score
So I saw this bike on gumtree a while ago and went and had a look at it, $1000 later it was in my trailer and on my way home:) It had a engine overhaul 18000k's ago with a hot rod conrod, new 3rd and 4th gears, new clutch and HD springs, new sprokets and new piston and rings. It now has a problem with going into gear, The owner diagnosed it as the shift fork has a snapped tooth which required the engine to be split. Anyway here are some pics so far.....lots of pics....

9297769767_e3d0707f53_z.jpg

9300559116_5733a42a90_z.jpg

9300557636_9534589304_z.jpg

9276156576_78dc36ef7a_z.jpg

9276154608_84817ebc00_z.jpg

9300555284_f5d0a66f4f_z.jpg

Its alot bigger then my daytona:p
9297771215_9a17a735d5_z.jpg

Ring gap appears to be good
9297770677_57e9b1e695_z.jpg

Now as for that gear selector.......
9297786213_f0df976408_z.jpg

It is in tact!!!! What?
9297786279_f9f050c707_z.jpg

I have tried turning it by hand and it wont change the gears, won't go through them, just feels like it is getting stuck on something. Iplayed around with it for 45mins then my brain started to hurt so I came in side. There is no sign of damaged to anything and no metal shavings.

I am out of ideas, The last owner said that it happened when he was in 4th gear cruising down a beach and it got stuck in that gear.

Can anybody see something I'm missing? or know something I don't?

Thanks for reading

Pappa Goose Out!

Last edited:
have you checked the bearings? do they feel okay? maybe its forcing onto the shift fork or somthing

Time to go through a parts manual thoroughly, had a cr125 that had a similar problem that i split 4 or 5 times only to finally realise it was just missing a 20 thou shim on one of the gearsets. Half a mm made all the difference, 6 months of tearing my hair out for a $2 shim

**** lol, that would suck^, I am thinking it is some thing small like a circlip or shim or something left out in the last overhaul or something, Will study the diagrams on the net for a few hours and see if I can work it out,

Oh and the bearing seem ok, think they were done also last rebuild.
thanks guys.

here are a couple of pics,
i paid $150 for it not running, sold it a year later for $500 still not running .

i started playing with pitbikes a bit before this Honda
it needed new rings and a new top end, and the guy that i had lined up to do the job was always too busy.
i didnt want to buy this Stumpjumper, but it was cheap.
but they used so many oddball parts on it, like 23" front wheel, 17" rear, wtf were they thinking?
the XR500 were used in the Street Hawk movie, fairly modified though

[video=youtube;BZND6aVh-SY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BZND6aVh-SY[/video]

ha wow, can bearly tell it is an xr!
By the way, went and had another look today and still can't work it out, none of the forks look bent, the drum looks fine and all the bearing are in tip top condition. I took the gear selector fork out and tried turning the drum by hand but still no difference, all the gears move smoothly and freely on their splines. I can post more close up pics tomorrow if it will help anyone help me?

As mentioned previously about worn shims, I would have thought if that were the case it would have happened gradually and not suddenly? It is really bugging me now. I'm affraid that if I put it back together as is it will just do the same thing, there must be something I'm missing.....dam it:frustrated:

pull the gears off the shaft is what were sayin and go off manufacture specs so you are positive your not missing anything

in your 1st post, the bottom pic of the gearbox, can you get another shot showing the other end of the gear selector ?
could the top arm be binding on the selector shaft maybe?

here is another 1985 XR600 gearbox with a shift problem

above pic was taken from here-
gears and shift drum explained, it shows you what moves where
http://jaw.iinet.net.au/motorbike/rering.html

yeah read that thread craig, That part if perfectly fine, but I'll try and get a shot up of tha soon, I will also try and get a vid so you can see excactly what it is doing (or not doing).

here's a little update, spent a few hours at work on it today, I have not found the fault yet, but instead started washing all the parts ready for re-assembly and hopefully I will be able to spot something out fo the ordinary with it all clean, I also started some port work on the exhaust port....here's some pics from tonight.........
In the cleaning machine about to be Cleeeaned:)
9318967681_88ae3d3ac1_z.jpg

a couple of tools used ( so much easier then g- clamps and stuff).
9318971361_e9e82b5fdb_z.jpg

and some port work....
9318972969_72cd05a710_z.jpg

9321762514_b2a1f587ac_z.jpg

Where the exhaust gasses exit the head, it measured 27mm, now it measures 30mm (in diametre) and the bend of the port isn't as sharp any more.
Also I did spot a bent snap ring which I will investigate further. I WILL find the problem Dam It!
9321841286_f6fca03d30_z.jpg

That is very interesting^ I haven't received my service manual yet so can't measure them up against anything as of now. It would be nice if he had finished the thread off though:(

I haven't ordered it but am thinking of it, I just bought a downloadable manual and see how that goes. Otherwise I'll be waiting weeks for the closer one

Latest posts

Back