1985 Xr600 Project

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Polished the exhaust today, came up all right I think, just ignore the chiped paint, i'll fix that soon:fumeur7:
11684980323_26b04ddf2b_z.jpg

11685085174_6e9f0b6e64_z.jpg

nice job on the polish up, what did u use to polish it up? might do it to my pitbikes exhaust when i need to :)

i'm guessing Russ has used a wire wheel on a bench grinder, to start with ?
then maybe some Autosol, Chrome polish ?

most of the XR range used stainless steel headers pipes, they can be polished up to a mirror finish.
once you start riding them, they will start to tarnish from the heat though.
if you were to repolish it every month it would stay nice and shiny, but who does that ?

the header pipe i polished for my mates' '01 XR400, still looks good after 600km's use
i polished it on my Buff, with a Calico wheel, and Polish.

6_x_2sec_LF__91464.1284439545.880.880.jpg

White-1___94815.1283813285.220.220.jpg

your good craig, thats exactly what I did. rode it for 10 minutes today and all the start of the pipe is blue now. And these ones are stainless by the way.

your good craig, thats exactly what I did. rode it for 10 minutes today and all the start of the pipe is blue now. And these ones are stainless by the way.

hey just wondering, what was the power like? i imagine quite torquey being a 600
p.s. thanks for the info Craig/GooseMan, appreciated :) will do that to my new bike exhaust when it starts getting a little dull.......when it gets here!

Last edited:
all good tried again and managed to solder it this time, came out good but the screen will not light up still? it takes batteries which I have new ones of, and also plugs into the wiring loom, do you think I'll need to connect it up to the bike maybe to get it too work?

Blender, the power is pretty crazy, kicks the back end out with ease in all gears, will be looking at making it a touch quieter though, don't think it is legal atm. backfires when I back off real quick:)

Money permiting I'll make this thing look new again.

oh ok, i have never seen one before.

so were you fixing a bad globe circuit, or adding one or ?

The guy I brought it off said it started to fade out so he had pulled it apart, when I got it the negative wire from the batteries was broken so I soldered a new one on. Might have to plug it in tomorrow and see what happens. apparently not many came with this speedo

Im confused again:arcadefreak:

So there is no where for a speedo cable to go in to the speedometer, because it is digital. So how does it work out the speed? It has two wires coming out if it which I can't find any wires on the bike to go to it. The wiring diagram isn't helpful at all. But just to confuse me more it has a speed pick up at the wheel not in use? So maybe this it calculates it from the engine rpm or something???:confused-smiley-014???

you could always fit something like this, then just run a universal cable to hook it up
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LED-Ligh..._Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f28b58f75&_uhb=1

or a used one off another Honda like this XR250 speedo,
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dash-Spe..._Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d1700d173&_uhb=1

i'm sure 2 wheel recyclers would have something you could buy for about $70 and up ?

does the bike need an inspection so you can rego it ?
i've heard they don't like seeing new(00000km) speedos fitted

Latest posts

Back