1985 Xr600 Project

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
there are some available specifically for alloy too

qc-ao.jpg

you might use them at work too, they are called a few different things, gasket strippers/removers

11UX06_AS01.JPG

Last edited:
yeah, that's it,
also stops hotspots from occuring, preventing pre-ignition,
and to help deshroud the valves

I"m so keen to see how this all comes together.

Did you actually sort the gearbox after all that?

And hey watch out for those cases.. the bottom threads to the cylinder are highly common to strip...

^ you mean the bolts which fix the cylinder to the gearbox?

Got it running to day, sounds mean!, with the porting work done now it is out of tune though. never tuned a dual carb before....

Thats not the problem though, got a crankcase leak, not sure how, had both surfaces cleaned perfectly before assembly with a new gasket......so apart it will come again, unless somebody knows how to fix it without splitting the cases:cursing:

and the gear problem was fixed by the way.

degrease it and wipe a smear of Urethane over it.
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/on...kaflex-Auto-150ml-Black.aspx?pid=284175#Cross

tuning dual carbs means adjusting both carbs the same, so mixture screws same setting, needle clips same, but you'd know that.
then if needed, 2 pairs of same sized jets at a time,
but that's where you use smaller rises in sizes,
so if it has a #142 Main jet, and you need bigger, so dont go up 5 sizes like a single carb bike, go up 1 or 2

if you need to rejet it, look at these kits first,
and made to suit various mods, they recommend to suit bigger exhausts, porting.they come with drills etc to enlarge ports, etc etc
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Honda-XR..._Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cd9befaf3&_uhb=1
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Moose-Je..._Parts_Accessories&hash=item461764dfad&_uhb=1

we used to use a setup like this to tune twin carbed cars years ago
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TWIN-Car..._Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e84479ef3&_uhb=1

if there is a vacuum tube/pot in the manifold after each carby, that makes it easier to balance them using a vacuum gauge

Last edited:
Good work GooseMan, glad you got that gearbox problem sorted, u never know how bad they are upon inspection, so it can do ya head in aye. look foward to some pictures.
Btw, there was a 91 xr600 bored out to 630 on guntree a while back, he wanted 1850, so if planning on selling this one, you can still get your monies worth out of it :)

cheers blender, it will be sold sometime down the track once all the little bugs are sorted out (OIL LEAKS), probably clean the plastics up and new rockers, cam and valves.

Oh and did I mention I honed the cylinder and put a new piston kit in? have now anyway.

no vaccum gauge ports craig, but the tuning shouldn't be too far off, it was dyno tuned (apparently) before. All vavle gaps perfect.

With this sikaflex, is it sorta a tar like stuff? I might actually have something similar in the shed, will check now. Cheers Craig.

Urethane is what they use to glue in car windscreens,Commodore firewalls, and wagon rear quarter windows etc
it's like silicon but isn't affected by oils, or heat as much, and can be painted over too.

ok so I found a tube of sikaflex which I used on my commodore, smeared it along the join and let it set. Filled it up with oil and gave it a run at first I thought it had fixed but over night it had started to leak, so yesterday I pulled it all apart again and found that part of the gasket had misaligned:( At least I didn't need a new one.
any way it is all back together now and no oil leaks.

Having trouble with the kick starter though, it is not returning after I kick it over, will have another crack that tomorrow. I'm out of action today because it licked back and feels like it has broken my ankle, dont think actually has though, can still walk on it (just).

Can't wait till I take it for a ride on the roads, took it for a lap uo the drive way and back and holy sh$t it has some power, this is coming from someone who hasn't ridden anything bigger the a 250 2 stroke though:eek:

Also tried to give it a quick tune while it was idleing, runs well until put under load, is a tad rich at the moment. By the way it only has one mixture screw between the two carbs, strange? could someone remind me which way to turn the screw to lean it? I am having one of those moments..... It is the same as a tap isn't it?

very good russ, bet your stoked!

turn the mixture screw out, to lean it out

:( not so stoked anymore, thought I had it this time with the kick start. Installed it exactly as the manual says, it would return when the clutch cover is off but as soon as that is on it will not spring back????
Its driving me mad:autogun::cursing::bigcry:

going by that other forum, there are a common thing to break

Latest posts

Back