Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

velociraptor

Reaction score
Built up engines for someone who liked to abuse the hell out of em and ended up doing a lot of repair work for him(crashing, ovverevving in 1st, low oil or no oil in gas, list goes on) in the end he had bought a badly beaten up. Ds80 for 800 dollars not running no fenders no airbox bent forks bald tires ect. It was a mess and he wasn't the best at haggling apparently lol. He traded the ds for the work. I decided after much staring at it I would tear it down and do what I felt with it. so far so good even painted the tank with "superbond" paint a blue similar to yamaha along with the swingarm and soon the fenders, the frame is flat black(the frame was nothing but rust and why the blue? Idk felt like it at the time lol) I've gotten bits of engine work done but I won't get too into it yet I just have been balancing night shift with caring for my wife with multiple fractures in her wrist and bits and peices of bike work.will post good pics asap
ga9u3uzy.jpg
9udy3yzu.jpg

Sent from my C5155 using Tapatalk

hey, i like seeing more DS80 builds here

with the Krylon paint, did you seal the tank first to stop the fumes/petrol/oil leaching out ?
and it it just the enamel version , Patriotic Blue ?
we don't get Krylon here much, i have used it about 10 years ago (not the plastic version), but haven't seen it available here since

craig

Its the fusion non prep type and yes I had to seal it last time I redid a 1987 honda xr 100r with olive grey before and learned. Lol. The flat black is an extreme paint we use at work believe it or not they covered white lines on asphalt with it.

ok, no probs.
it's just with the bike being old etc the oils/fumes in the plastic tanks bubble/peel sticker kits quite easy
and paint comes off just as easy.
watch out if you spill any fuel on it, have the tank cap and a bucket of water ready.

when i get around to doing my Yamaha IT i am going to use some Por15 or similar so there's no chance of the sticker kit bubbling and coming off again

ok, no probs.
it's just with the bike being old etc the oils/fumes in the plastic tanks bubble/peel sticker kits quite easy
and paint comes off just as easy.
watch out if you spill any fuel on it, have the tank cap and a bucket of water ready.

when i get around to doing my Yamaha IT i am going to use some Por15 or similar so there's no chance of the sticker kit bubbling and coming off again

When you put graphics directly on tanks you should always run a kit that has the little holes all through it so the tank can still vent through the kit. It will never bubble then as long as you clean it up good before applying kit.

Trying to find a pic of the RM one Justin did for my nephew. The holes give it a really cool effect as well.

EDIT: Found it. Zoom in on the tank on this one:

photo.JPG

That kit has been on there well over a year with no sign what so ever of bubbling... Even had fuel spilled on it since then as well.

I would say they didn't have a 100% clean surface before applying.

nah they followed the detailed instructions that came with them a couple of the tanks were brand new as well.
Goosemans Kawasaki ones bubbled too

they were from Wicked Tough Graphics USA

wts.jpg

YAMAHA 1983 IT490 Wicked Tough or Standard decal graphic kit
Wicked Tough:
Exclusive wicked tough technology
Dual layer construction YAMAHA 1983 IT490 Wicked Tough decal graphic kit
Metalized backer
With a crosshatched pattern
Holes to vent fuel vapors.
Sub-surface printed.
Millions of colors
20mil high gloss vinyl.
3M 300LSE adhesive
Fuel and fuel vapors proof,
No blistering or bubbling
Lamination type super glossprint

STANDARD:
Includes all decals as shown in image
Decals are printed on 3M ScotchCal vinyl
Transfer taped for ease of installation
Laminated for protection
Correct reproductions of OEM graphics
Decals may blister/bubble off plastic fuel tank

Last edited:
Two of my builds a 2001 rm125 and a 1999 (believe I don't remember the year atm) yz250 have metal mulisha sticker kits on em. Been over a year they have tiny bits that have peeled with a lil dirt under em other than that no problems. Thing is Iclean the tank excessively with alchahol. And add a lil glue. It was the kit with the holes as well. The extreme paint is gas/petrol resistant ad the tank if I do decide to keep it perm. I'm not too worried the way I refuel I rarely spill.

Last edited:
yeah my stickers bubbled. Tank 99% perfectly clean, had holes in it but not quite as many of them as yours had. Might have something to do with mine being 30years old!

Here's what I got done on the frame while bored last night watching a gate
ubara2e4.jpg
jepa2yze.jpg

The rear fender....never existed as I said prev owner trashed the bike, is from an old 1986 or 87 (had both) honda xr100r I replaced th plastics on lucky I saved it. I reshaped it a lil and made new mount holes.

I got a lil more work left on the rear fender and stuff I was just eager to see what it looked like

if you have a look at my DS80 thread in the first set of pics you'll see the old rear fender.
they curve down a lot at the front
you might be able to heat your XR fender up, and bend the front down so that the rear section sits a bit better with the seat

052.jpg

Last edited:
I also have an extension to that fender that went to the xr. Yeah now that I see that ill get the heat gun lol.

ujubugu9.jpg
I see what you mean about the seat its just on the mounts and a bit high off the fender nothing is impossible with the right tools and motivation. I just want something diff besides being able to use something I had instead of spending some $$$

Last edited:
Lol my poor truck bed sees a lot of work lately they have me at work parking by a gate just watching the gate so I pass the time doing bits and pieces of the bike

Looking at the title its a lucky misprint lol my tiny keys. It is an x model per the vin ect. ordered forks Friday they are due to be here tomorrow morning a lil rust but straight. All that's left is some small stuff

Latest posts

Back