Air filter shenanigans - What's your thoughts?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlts

Certified Computer Nerd
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just a quick question for you all concerning air filters. Having an OKO 26mm requiring a 48/49mm diameter air filter I opted for the usual Unifilter. But all I can is that my experience has been rubbish with it, I always clean the filter using warm water and washing powder after each ride, I allow it to dry out and then I reapply air filter oil on it.
When taking the filter off I would always find dust had gotten through, and not just a little bit but alot, this happened since new and now that the filter has a nice split on the rubber its time to ditch it for a replacement....

Having searched the classic honda's website I have arrived at two filters in conclusion and I would just like to know peoples thoughts on them please, cheers:

Type 1 - long filter dual stage
Classic Honda 50's Australia - 28mm Carb & Oko 26mm Carb - Performance Foam Air Filter [TBW0446]
0446%20Performance%20Foam%20Air%20Filter%2049mm.jpg

Type 2 - tb filter
Classic Honda 50's Australia - 28mm Carb and Oko 26mm Carb - Performance Foam Air Filter [TBW0491]
0491%20Performance%20Foam%20Air%20Filter%2049mm.jpg

the tb filter is what im using atm, seems really good and its out of the way.
but i am having blocked jet issues and im not sure if its filter or not..
just with the tb filter the metal spring inside of its eventally cuts a hole threw the foam. still haven't had that happen yet and i've had it awhile (7-12 months).

as woggy said the green uni filter breaths better & traps more dirt than the red uni filter.

I oil my filter but I dont oil my pre filter & when I take the pre filter off there is no dirt. on my filter

Thanks for the info on the filter Carlts i just ordered me a TB filter type 2 it was exactly what i was looking for ! Im hoping it will fit ok on my dhz dpro 160 it look small enough to stay out of the way...

Cheers for the input guys, does anyone have a link to a 48/49mm green unifilter, if not then which of the two posted should I go for, Im not looking for looks, just want something that works!!!

Probably not Stizzle, air filters are pretty vital for keeping dust etc out of your engine so you might as well just go to your local moto store and spend $30 on a good uni filter :) Your bike will thank you :)

^^^ As twisties said, an air filter is vital in keeping your engine safe from dust, etc. Spend that littlebit more and give your engine a longer life. I ended up going the dual stage TB filter and found it was awesome, much better than the previos uni filter I had, Don't forget to also regularly clean and oil the filter. It's easy to ignore, but when you get a worn out engine you'll be wishing you spent that little extra time and moeny preventing it lol

phew, ;D

What about the UniFilter socks? I remeber reading about them some time ago, but i can't remember the outcome, just a thought.

^^^ As twisties said, an air filter is vital in keeping your engine safe from dust, etc. Spend that littlebit more and give your engine a longer life. I ended up going the dual stage TB filter and found it was awesome, much better than the previos uni filter I had, Don't forget to also regularly clean and oil the filter. It's easy to ignore, but when you get a worn out engine you'll be wishing you spent that little extra time and moeny preventing it lol

phew, ;D

:coolthumb:

Alos with regard to the Tb filters I find that if you are looking for that last bit of power up in the high rpm range (10k+) they work better than the unifilers, but I also find that the Tb filer also clogs up alot faster than anything else.
I suppose you need to look at what your doing. If your racing, run a tb filter and clean and change the filter every race. If your trail riding or just plain lazy, run a unifiler with one of those secndary course socks over the top.
And as Carlts and Twisties said... ITs vital to your engines health!

^^^ Good points there Barnesd, I got the TB purely to catch more dirt, it did the job well and as I'm cleaning and reoiling after every ride it made no issue. I am yet to try the finer green unifilters suggested by woggy, bu I'm content for now ;)

I have the finer green uni filter and also a red uni filter on another bike and to be honest I can't really tell the difference between the two. Having said that though, uni filters have been the filter of choice for minis since waaay back and I've never heard a single complaint about them, so the TB filter may very well be better but the uni filter is probably 'good enough' :)

I run an air box in the motovert so dont have these problems. i used to use the bigger of the 2 filters ur have displayd. An i used to replace it every ride. End up with holes in it an suken in dirt. Air box set up for the win .

i've found with the smaller TB pod filter kind of thing that the metal in side wears the foam away really quick and dust gets though even will oil..
best not to use it. best use the green foam unifilter or tb version of it

I have tried both the uni filter and the TB double element filter.
The unifilter seemed to be working great until I pulled the engine down to look at the bore ans she was marked.
With the TB filter I also run a piece of stocking in between the 2 elements and it works awsome.
I clean it every few hours on a ride weekend and after every heat in a race meeting.

Just a quick update, had the TB Dual Stage filter for two rides now, here's my experience:

One ride in and the foam completely separated from the rubber, a bit of rubber/foam glue and this problem was completely fixed.

DBD2256F-orig.jpg

Really must be oiled well to stop the dust, I am also yet to try the stocking method recommended above. Also the foam is pretty weak and already the spring is wearing it out a little inside. All up though a decent filter, stops the dust which is the main thing and doesn't hurt the pocket too bad :)

IMG_1399.jpg

Sounds like a piece of **** if you ask me, I've always found the best filter to be the green uni filter. A little trick I use is to cut the actual filter from the rubber mount and re glue it to the stock air filter rubber as they have the little lip in them so they hold better and don't tend to split as easy as the uni rubbers when over tightening them. That's just me, but good to see you took the time to mention your thoughts as I was contemplating getting one.

Latest posts

Back