Atomik Reign, Lifan 150, Big Foot questions

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks,

Will the flywheel mark definitely be TDC then? Am I right in thinking the flywheel is timed with the piston, and the camsprocket is timed with the valves?

I will give that a go when I get the chance, Will it being off one or two teeth affect the engine in any way currently?

Also does this mean that many other components in the engine are worn out?

Atm the cam timing is retarded,
It would make it hard to start, and the power would be a fair way off what it should be.
When you ride it does it take off kind of slow, then in the higher revs it starts to pull better ?

If you take it apart and refit the timing chain with the flywheel and cam gear markings both lined up it will be correct.

You wont know what's worn unless you pull it all apart.

Yes, at half throttle it pulls better than at 3/4 to full, if it could be causing that

At a certain rpm it shudders, which i asked about probably 15 pages ago... Below that rpm is fine, but at a cetain range it shudders but isn't about to stall

But yes, It gets to a certain point where it pulls heaps better, Do I have to adjust valves after I fix up the timing?

it would pay to check/adjust them with the timing set correctly, yeah.

Just wondering if you have any ideas how to get the stator backing plate off? The screws are on really really tight and ive used a wrench attached to screwdriver and slightly rounded the head of it...

Any ideas?

impact driver, or a tiny socket and a old changing head screwdriver bit that fits perfectly. a ratchet attatched to that and alof of force holding it in

You might need to use a small sharp centre punch and hammer to get them out.
Punch an indent in the head of the screw towards the outer edge
Make the dent a bit deeper, then angle the punch so that when you hit it, it starts to undo the screw

This sounds really stupid, but do you know where to find screwdriver bits that will fit a 1/2" air impact drill?

I can't find anything that would adapter 1/4" to 1/2" either

yeah the impact screwdriver should get them out

make sure you use the biggest Phillips bit that will fit, otherwise you'll round out the phillips head slots and need a centre punch and hammer

Do I need to remove the stator plate cover thingo to do it? I bought the proper impact screwdriver bits and they've pretty well rooted the screw heads....... I had my whole body weight on them too

I've taken all the tension off the chain, but wil need to undo the cam sprocket bolts, can I jsut undo the bolts, line the sprocket up to 9 o'clock and then tighten it up again?

ok, so you undid the tensioner bolt under the engine ?

yeah you should be able to, as long as the flywheel mark is sitting at 12 o'clock

take the 3x 9mm headed bolts out of the cam gear, and pull the gear and chain out towards you a bit
try to turn the gear in the chain 1 tooth so that it will line up with the mark in the head when you refit it.
then carefully turn the cam around a bit so the cam gear will line up and then refit the bolts and check out the markings

I've done that, and now everytime the sprocket hits 3 o clock, it's kind of a grinding feeling, that I didn't feel before I adjusted it...
It's kinda like it's slightly jumping off the back sprocket, or got a stiff link or something like that...

If you'd like i'll upload a video

I might've done it wrong, instead of turning the cam to line up the bolt holes with the sprocket holes, I turned the whole sprocket and flywheel until it did, then when I turned it back it still lined up fine

If that made any sense, have I done it wrong?

so how far did you need to turn the cam gear? was it only 1 or 2 teeth out ?

as long as they are both lined up in the correct spots now.
turning the flywheel back the cam chain could have jumped.
but if you have checked it then it should be good.

have you refitted the tensioner spring and bolt back into the bottom of the case ?
and have you tried turning it over by hand, turning the flywheel to check that nothing is hitting. (spark plug out)

i would check your rocker/valve clearances again too just to be sure.

Last edited:
I think it was only 1 tooth out, but the whole sprocket fell out and I had to totally re fit it all
It still kind of grinds at 3 oclock whether the tensioner spring and bolt are in or not

I'll upload the video onto youtube for ya to have a look at, sorry for all this haha

Latest posts

Back