Kickstarter problems (125cc gpx)

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My local shop is in the proceedure of moving to another factory thats why there is a 4 week delay cant take it to them

im guessing your in baysie then... can you get the bike down to motovert (ftg) they should have all the parts ready

if one is... you could ignore it and just get the tooth out of the oil..

but there like 10 - 15 bucks a kick gear set so you mayaswell replace them

Just asking one last time, if i drain the oil no tooth or nothing come out, would this be that there is no broken tooth and the kickstarter shaft/gears are just grinding or warned out?

Just asking one last time, if i drain the oil no tooth or nothing come out, would this be that there is no broken tooth and the kickstarter shaft/gears are just grinding or warned out?

i did not realize that you were asking that..

no because the teeth can get stuck on the clutch side of the engine and or anywhere and not fall out of the drain hole.

besides just roll start the thing and get your weekend of riding in before you have a look :p

Mine does the same thing, since clutch change
been dumping the oil on it regularly because of clutch issues and thought water got in but no gears came out so far

So i can go riding this weekend then i should pull it apart and have a look?

Decided on fixing it today, so far this iswhat ive done, taken off the o-ring clutch cover, now what do i do next??image.jpg

Decided on fixing it today, so far this iswhat ive done, taken off the o-ring clutch cover, now what do i do next??View attachment 7809

undoo those 4 bolts gradually in a cross formation to relive your spring pressure behind it without it cracking
unto the clutch nut that is behind it...
pull the plates and basket out and check outs what happening

2 days and 6 pages ? wow .. GPX 125 motors were notorious for breaking kick start gears.. you'll need both of them most likely.. its a easy repair but you'll need to get the clutch off.. to get the nut off if you dont have a impact driver and the correct tool you can sometimes get them off by hitting them around with a punch and hammer.. doesnt allows work tho as some are harder than others and need the impact driver method.

How hard are these to bump start ?

My kick shaft has snapped, but the engines in bits .... I would like to build it up to see if it's any good before I spend any cash fixing it (I didn't strip it and it needs kick start shaft and top cover , but I can borrow a mates cover to try it )

Thanks

My kick shaft has snapped, but the engines in bits .... I would like to build it up to see if it's any good before I spend any cash fixing it (I didn't strip it and it needs kick start shaft and top cover , but I can borrow a mates cover to try it )

Thanks

Thanks

Dont think it should be hard to bump start it, but worth building it up again these engines are pretty damn good besides the kcikstarter shaft :p

Ive ordered the clutch tool, not quite sure how to use it though, anyone have a pic or could explain on how to use it?

The tool is pretty self explanatory, but if your nut tool comes like this it is used for the oil slinger and the clutch nut.
900007P%20Clutch%20Nut%20Tool%2020x24.jpg
This clutch is a start in neutral only but the nut is the same as yours will have.
images

Inside it is a 1/2" fitting for a ratchet extension, if you dont have a tool to hold the clutch from turning you can put something between the gears (not recommended as i dont want to be held responsible for a damaged gear lol). But if you have an impact screwdriver you dont need anything to hold the clutch, you can remove the tip the screwdriver fittings sit in and there will be a 1/2" fitting for the extension you have on your clutch nut tool. The thread is std so left to loosen and right to tighten. It will be tight.

Last edited:
I actually did this today without the tool. I ready kilpatrickyums thread and a few searches. Managed to get the nut off with a screwdriver that I grinded on an angle so I did not damage the nut.

But I have ordered the tool so I can tighten to the correct torque.

Well the tool will come sometime later this week so i will try it thanks for the help!

On the back of the gpx issue, my Ho is having a similar problem. However I don't have any damage to the kick starter gears. So I'm guessing my kick starter shaft has gone? I was able to start the bike and have grinding every now and then so doesn't make sense to me... Either your kick starter shaft is good or it's snapped??? Can anyone fill me in. Thanks

On the back of the gpx issue, my Ho is having a similar problem. However I don't have any damage to the kick starter gears. So I'm guessing my kick starter shaft has gone? I was able to start the bike and have grinding every now and then so doesn't make sense to me... Either your kick starter shaft is good or it's snapped??? Can anyone fill me in. Thanks

When i kick it over at TDC its fin dosent grind but when i do random kicks it does that, is that the same as yours?

Latest posts

Back