Kickstarter problems (125cc gpx)

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
from looking at the last picture on the right, you are almost ready to take the 2x centre cases apart
you need to remove the gearshift shaft out of the clutch side of the motor.
it will slip out once you take the gear lever off.
i think the shifter star and the other linkage on the left has to come off too
then the 2x halves should seperate, have the motor sitting on the stator side with the clutch side upwards when you do it
then you will see how to pull the kick start shaft out.

take note of where bits come from

Yeah thanks heaps, this is my 2nd time taking a motor apart and yeah will do, been taking pictures of the parts where i would forget but most of it i know where they come out of and go back in, but bit worried on how or where im gonna buy the parts for this engine, cant seem to find any parts wondering if regular 125 parts would fit or are the same

Give DHZ a ring, they should be able to help you out. If not try Terry a firepowerminis, he has helped me plenty and is super smart when it comes to engines.

Carlton

Give DHZ a ring, they should be able to help you out. If not try Terry a firepowerminis, he has helped me plenty and is super smart when it comes to engines.

Carlton

Thanks for the advice, will do if i need the parts or help later on!

when you go to split the cases, watch the gasket doesn't want to tear.
i usually have a decent box cutter with a sharp blade on hand, just incase,
i slip the blade in between the gasket and casing that it's sticking too.

What part or bolt do i take off to take the gear shifter rod out cause it is joined as you can see n the picture
image.jpg

1 6mm? allen key bolt on the far left side (shorter arm)
the long lever connected to the shift rod has a spring loaded pivot near the top, you should be able to pull it down and out from under the star as you pull the rod out

if it wont go down far enough, then undo the bolt on the star and remove that.
it has to come off anyway.

Yeah it doseny come out from under, if i take off the star and bolt what comes out from behind andd do i have to adjust somethig when i put it back on?

Ive taken off the allen key bolt and stuff jvr managed to slide the thig out from under the star im tying to open the middle case but t wont seperate and he gear shifter rod dosent come out tried hitting it out from the othrr side but feels hard and stuck dosent come out. Heres a pic
20130413_142454.jpg

the circlip still needs to come off the kickstarter, and the cast iron part from inside that spring
and the bolt out of the star, and star taken off.

Like Craig said, those bits still need removing, you can push the gear lever assy all the way out also.

Just read that the gear shifter won't come out, that's because it's bent. Heavy shifting of gears will cause this, either way it must come out so just keep tapping it until it does as the bend will be around the seal section, if it is really bad it will require cutting but only in extreme cases.

I know its all a pain, but once you've torn down a motor once you will be able to do it in under an hour from start to finish. One tip though, when you open the cases check for any shims on the gear shafts, they are easy to over look and more often than not they are stuck on the other side of the case when you lift it off. Take photos with a dig camera as you pull each part out, will help if you get stuck come re-assembley time.

I took apart the middle casing i looked at the kickstart the gears are fine even the gearbox tooth are all fine i couldnt find any broken or damged parts that i know of but heres the pics maybe use would know

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
But i found this on the side of where the kickstart sprocket sits looks like its been scraping on the casing
image.jpg

Last edited:
Its to blurry to see the grinding mate, any chance of a better pic?

It looks little in pic ive tried getting a good pic but this is all its like scarpped on the sides maybe that good be what was the problem?
image.jpgimage.jpg

That has to be the prob bro, check all the associated parts that the kicker shaft goes thru and check for any abnormal wear on the cases and make sure there is not any slight twisting on the kicker shaft. There must be a little wear somewhere along the path that the shaft takes.

Latest posts

Back