KTM 85cc Motard build

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have heard the exhaust port may be to high at around 80 degrees. 72 or so should be better but im not going to give away all my tuning secrets. i need to be competitive with you boys some how. good head work should allow for better torque while still being able to rev the thing out.

nice one
im trying to get one too !
mines more of a 2001 cr80 $400
im still looking for a elite aswell?
anybody got a cheap one ?

does anyone know how to read rear springs? my bike has as standard 35-215 the new spring i got says 59-220-35. i am guessing 35 stands for 3.5Nm, 220 is the shock length and what is 59? what do all these numbers mean?

this is the two side by side. i notice that the new one (on the left) is slightly longer and has more spirals. i leveled the two up at the bottom to show you.
oh and am getting there with lacing the 12inch rim to the OEM KTM hubs. i had to bore out each rim hole for the nipples as they are much more hardcore than the Chinese odds and ends they put in. some were 5mm some 6mm and some 7mm. the threads poke though abit into the tube so im working out how to chop them off and cover them to stop the tubes from poping every ride.

KTMParts015.jpg
KTMParts014.jpg
KTMParts009.jpg

Last edited:
once you've laced and trued the rim run around it with a grinder and grind down the over hang flush with the nipple.
used to do this for a job back in my early teens lol.. push bike shop

the numbers you quoted above are part numbers.. K-Tech Suspension, road race and offroad motorcyle suspension

maybe the first lot of numbers are the spring thickness.. throw the verniers on em.

the 215 and 220 would be spring length as you can clearly see in your pics that the newer one is 5mm longer

the last numbers are the spring rate but how its rated is unknown..35Nm is 26ft lbs so maybe its 26ft lbs per inch of travel (if ya know what i mean) working it out that way gives a total rate of 225
25.4 into 220 is 8.66 then X 26

anyways thats just an idea and im just guessing

Yes its a part number for sure and definately means something. i just didnt have the verniers with me. mine look like the same comparison and these on a motard KTM 85 as well. hopefully im on the right track.

KTMspring.jpg

looking good me thinks
but i would be going to supercross valving, lowered too
same as the big tards

I used to work in ktm head office over here in perth, we always refered to the white spring as the "chubber" spring for fatties, but I guess it could double as a "road" spring!!! LOLOLOL

the SX85 is the better & fast bike of the 85cc class, however all that power comes at a price.... the KTM85 blows rods on a constant basis, one of my highest selling items

Hey Hillz,

Can you get an aftermarket rod that is stronger?? aka car industry carillo!!

nah, its not the actual rod that lets it down its getting lubrication to the bottom bearing in the rod, some people mod the OEM rod to let more in

but the rod i have already has this done :)

hey ringo i ve been talking to the guys in the US who run these bikes and they are a world of info. they said the bottom bearings pack it in as well without me even prompting them.

Its funny I went into a second hand bike shop on the weekend, he had two yz85's, an sx85 and an sx65. When I said I was thinking about the sx65 with an 80cc bigbore kit to keep the wheel base short he said "don't bother they're unreliable" I said what "the big bore kits" and he said "nar the 65's, battling to see them all finish a race in the dirt mate"

Didn't mention the sx 85's but did try to sell me an ol' bunky yz85!!!:bolt:

yeah stay clear of the trashed ones. The US guys said if you keep up the maintence up they will survive. but they also pretty much said that its worth it as they are faster than the CR85's and things. that really nice 2-stroke oil we use for our pocket bikes should help as well.

the SX85 is the better & fast bike of the 85cc class, however all that power comes at a price.... the KTM85 blows rods on a constant basis, one of my highest selling items

something has to go bang

Latest posts

Back