Looking to buy my first pit bike.

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaNWitHNONamE

Reaction score
Hey guys of miniriders.com! Just joined like 5 mins go! But as you may know from the title, I'm looking for my first pit bike. I'm new to the sport, and know nothing about pit bikes, just that theyre pretty much kids bikes with suped up engines made for mucking around on trails and stuff. So before I get into the details, let me tell you a little about the situation I'm in...
So I've saved up about 1000$ for the past year or so (only 14, dont have a job yet) and was originally going to buy a gaming laptop, then just on Monday I rode a dirt bike for the first and I have to say it was quite an expeirience. I liked it so much that I decided to forget about the laptop and get a dirt bike. I then realized I have no way of transporting a dirt bike, I have no space for one, and I just don't have enough money for installing a trailer hitch on my dads ford focus AND buying a bike. I then considered getting a mini bike. But then I thought, "it just wouldn't be the same" because
A) No shifting mechanics (I really enjoyed that on the dirt bike)
B) I cant do as much with them as I could a dirt bike.
So then I did a little research and found out about pit bikes. They can fit in the backseat of a car, theyre not overly exspensive AND they perform just like dirt bikes but are smaller.
So now that you've haerd m story, help me choose a bike.
I've heard that pitser pro makes great pit bikes, but the only I can afford is the XJR 90 SS
http://www.piratecycles1.com/xjrss.html
It's 799$ but this one looks like a mini pit bike to me. Also I need something that will
A) Hold up a 175lb, 5'7 guy
B) Hold up to some basic trails, and small jumps, and bumps.
C) Is (preferably) less than 900$
Also, do you think it would be worth it to get my OHRV liscense and sticker to go riding some easy trails in MA?
I don't really have a yard to ride in, and I don't think the neighbors would appreciate hearing a very loud lawn mower every day. :cool:
Ok, well thanks in advance!
-NONamE

Haha, sounds like you got the bug :) Welcome to miniriders. Plenty of different options for you out there and you'll get plenty of differing opinions. After reading the above i would be recommending a 2nd hand crf50, your gonna want something with 10" wheels otherwise it aint gonna fit to good in the back of a car and with $1000 you should be able to get one with an already braced frame, and if your really lucky maybe even a 88 kit. Where abouts are you from?

I've heard that pitser pro makes great pit bikes, but the only I can afford is the XJR 90 SS
http://www.piratecycles1.com/xjrss.html
-NONamE
Dont get sucked into silly names like pitster pro, sure there lxr are a great bike.. but the xjr are the same as similar cheaper brands & its not like your paying extra for some nice forks or anything so just go somthing like a atomik or somthing like that you will get a better bike for your money (engine wise) the suspension and whatnot will probably be the same

zwebx, they might not sell Atomiks in Massachusetts though ?

I got to argue with you zwebx, nice bits should come later. There should always be room after investment like this, as you have to buy all the fluids (brake cleaner [when cleaning up mechanical bits], chain spray, wd40 [oiling cables and springs], engine oil, gasoline for the bike) + some spare in case anything breaks down, not much, as 125's are pretty bomb proof. bi-fold levers are an good idea though, as you don't want to buy a new lever set each time you fall :)

Sorry I havent been responding, I came to check on the thread a few days ago and the site wasnt loading it was a "404 page not found" thing. It's finally working again...

Latest posts

Back