Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
last week while looking for 3/4" bar grips i found a nice set of blue ones.
they are hard to find in that size !
they are made by Four Twelve and cost me $16 including post, ex USA.
the place that makes them, is one of the first aftermarket companys to make that size
they should arrive in about a week or so.

i fitted a digital speedo a couple of days ago,
i picked it up at the local cheapo shop, for $6.
it will help me explain to him what speed to keep it under, while the engine is run in.

it's a wired version, and the pickup/cadence is mounted near the hub, with the magnet mounted to the rim.
it automatically turns on when the bike is moved forward, and turns off after being stationary for 2 mins.
has 14 functions all up, clock, speedo, odo, total distance, max speed, average speed etc etc not too bad for the price i think !
i actually bought 2 speedo's the same, the other can go onto the Atomik Fuse to help me tune it.

and now that he will be learning to ride without the trainer wheels, i thought i might protect his hands, and the levers just incase.
i bought these a while ago cheap, i was going to put them on my IT200, just so i didn't damage the originals, but never got round to it.
i should really but ?
the brand new genuine original IT handguards sell on ebay sometimes for $180+ ea !!!
the ones that i fitted to the PW50 are made by UFO Plastics in Italy, almost an exact copy of the original Yamaha IT ones.
i made up a couple of custom alloy clamps to hold them to the bars on the inner mounts, and screwed them through the brake lever clamps at each end.
i have also started to fit the new stickers too, front and rear fender, and r/h tank ones done so far.
i reckon they look a fair bit better than the original 1995? ones that were on it.

Good to hear your boy is a natural mechanic, he'll be a pro when he's eight.
I got one of them speedo things aswell but it didn't work, set it up just like the instructions said but didn't work. I think it may of been because the wheel was to small for it or the magnet just wasn't quite close enough or something.

the PW wheel has a 10" wheel, with a 120cm radius,
the instructions said it'd only work from a 20" wheel with a 180cm radius
but i entered 120cm and it works.
the instructions were a bit hard to understand,
but once i worked out that you only have 15 seconds to set it up once the battery is reconnected i finally got it.

cheers

i can't see why it would read false ?
it is just using the same ratio they have used to get their settings, but scaled back to suit the 10" wheel.

there are a lot of speedo's for sale on ebay etc, some say they'll fit any sized wheel, and some dont.

i guess when we go to the farm next i can check it out for accuracy, by riding it along side the car to compare.
i

the other sides' new tank decal is now on too,
you may notice too, i have swapped the china pegs for some slightly modified Suzuki DS80 pegs off my spares bike.
and if you look carefully you can see the 6x stainless bolts holding on the ignition side cover, and on the crownwheel/pinion cover

i'm not sure if i mentioned it before here too,
i bought and fitted another coil, a china 'High Performance' ignition coil (cost $13 delivered), and a genuine NGK cap (cost $5 locally)
and it even gives a better spark than the 33 year old original Yamaha one too !

i'm not sure if i mentioned it before here too,
i bought and fitted another coil, a china 'High Performance' ignition coil (cost $13 delivered), and a genuine NGK cap (cost $5 locally)
and it even gives a better spark than the 33 year old original Yamaha one too !
Top Job Craig the PW look heaps better then it would of been new.

thanks Rodney,
i'm thinking about buying some original yellow plastics for it at some stage too.

I love the yellow and black, Ol Skool Yamaha, think i still have a yellow n black yamaha jumper of my dads around somwhere, af the good ol days :)

there were a few different colours made, then variations with the decals.
these days there are a heap more colours available ex china too.
here are some genuine colours-

1pwblue.jpg

1pwred.jpg

1pwpink.jpg

1pwpinky.jpg

1pwallblue.jpg

there were a few different colours made, then variations with the decals.
these days there are a heap more colours available ex china too.
here are some genuine colours-

View attachment 8111

Back in the day
1991%20-%201992%20yz250.jpg

i was more into the Enduro bikes back then, hence my IT200L
KYB suspension at both ends with 10.6" of travel front and rear, not bad for an '84 model

Last edited:
yep IT blue with yellow stickers gets my vote, though the US style yellow YZ looks pretty trick

i'd go for the IT blue w/yellow decals if they were factory optional colours :thumbup:

we took the bikes and buggy out for he weekend, the PW went very nice.
after fitting the bigger Pilot jet into the carby, it starts a heck of a lot easier now from cold.
Cj doesn't have a problem doing it all himself.
only thing that went wrong was not long after we had started it and warmed it up for a couple of minutes.
he sat on it and lost his footing and the bike leaned to the left,
he said ouch and we noticed he had put his leg against the header pipe, burning himself a bit just above the ankle, poor kid.
we lifted his pants and saw the blister had formed, and busted.
ended up putting some Savlon on and bandaged it up, he wanted to go riding though.

and he has no problems riding it without the trainer wheels too.
i started him out on the compacted dirt, and then onto the gravel/dirt.
after lunch we took him onto the hard/soft sand, and also on the grassy areas.
he took to it all without a problem, too easy.

the new #50 Pilot jet helps out the response (the stock pilot is a #40) it picks up sweet now, throws Cj back a bit when he gives it the beans, lol

the new speedo works well too, and is within a couple of km's of the car speedo.
we started off letting him take it to 20 km p/h, then vary it from 20 - 25km for the first 3 hours running.
the last day i let him give it a couple of squirts going down the driveway and back, he hit 35 km p/h a few times.

here is some of the data off the speedo -
average speed 14 km p/h,
top speed 36 km p/h
total distance travelled 32 km's
and riding time was 6 hours all up

i think i will let him run another tank of fuel through it to let the new rings and piston bed in properly
and maybe one more after that till i'd consider it to be close on run in, and ready for some bigger rpms.

we also had a bit of a drama with the Dune Buggy on sunday too.
i'll post the details up in that thread shortly

cheers, craig

Good stuff (at least with the PW) would it maybe be an idea to exhaust wrap the header? Didn't tkae long to get off the training wheels either :)

thanks timeeh,
yeah he is a very fast learner,
my wife got a couple of videos on her phone i will upload later.
i used up the last of my thermotec heat wrap on the Orions' exhaust, so i will be buying another small roll soon.
i made a temporary shield while we were up there, i used a bit of the alloy diamond plate that i used on the buggy.
that kept his leg safe from more burns while we were riding.

Latest posts

Back