Never worked on a bike in my life...yet

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm doing tons of research right now and it looks like the 110cc engine I have might be a bored and stroked version of a 90cc or 70cc? So I don't think it can go any bigger unless I go total custom with this engine.

So then the question becomes what camshaft should I put in it? And if its even possibly to get a race head for this engine. And I think I found a source for exhaust tubing

P.S. The engine manufacturer is Zonshen. The engine is a 107cc Bore/Stroke 52.4mm x 49.5mm Single-Cylinder, 2-valve, 4-stroke

for your engine imo dont worry with the bigbore kit it will cost too much and cause too many hastles...
its only really worth it if you have a bigblock alike the yx 160's
the cam...
from the retailer that you are buying from you will probably get a choice of 3 cams i would probably go for the longest duration possible (higher rpm) because you are running boost or maybe the second one to help the engine to get up to a speed that it can spool the turbo. to run a agressive cam you will need to replace your valve springs with stronger ones (HD alot of people call them) as so your valves do not endup smashing on the piston and rendering the project a good wast of money and time :)

or you could try boosting it and getting all that sorted and settled and then decide weather you want to upgrade the engine to something like a yx160 or a lifan 150 (same as mine) but the yx would probably be better because its a big block (limiting the cc to approx 192cc) whereas my lifan is a midblock (limiting to my stroke and bigbore to about 160cc) also take into consideration that the lifan stock has a longer stroke so its more "tourqier" and if you listen to mr Ferrari "tourque wins races hp sells cars"well i think it was mr Ferrari or someone like that :p

for that engine you may be able to install larger valves and do the cam depending on how much 'meat'
you have on your head between the valves and edges of the bore but remember that it increases load on all of your other components... so if you have a similar 4spd gearbox like what most other pitties run it should be allright with the extra power but the clutch will most likley be the limiting factor
and it might be a hard one to upgrade unless they are the same or similar to other models

woahh that was alot of typing i hope i was clear enough and did not go too far off topic

Lol yeah thanks for all the info. I'm thinking of getting the oil cooler kit and rigging up the hotside of it and the oil lines and just seeing how much it gets the turbo to spin and all to be able to decide whether it needs the different cams and stuff. That way its not jamming a bunch of boost into the engine yet but I can see what its doing having the exhaust and oil lines connected

well man im pretty sure a 107 cc dose not have enough back pressure to make the turbo spin and and charge up i have read quit a bit about it and that's usually the problem and i have seen a few people stop there thread cause of that , but i see you want your bike to be unique so all the power to you but im thinking its not going to work . keep us posted on your progress man

Yeah I'm not 100% sure it'll work but thats why I'm going to try and and if it doesn't work I'll just up the size of the engine if needed. I will definitiely keep you guys posted

well man im pretty sure a 107 cc dose not have enough back pressure to make the turbo spin and and charge up i have read quit a bit about it and that's usually the problem and i have seen a few people stop there thread cause of that , but i see you want your bike to be unique so all the power to you but im thinking its not going to work . keep us posted on your progress man

the 150 could spool it up at 5000 rpm approx on the youtube video

Yea if the 107cc can't kick out enough exhaust gasses to spool it up I'll just end up upping the size of the engine

hey,
with the exhaust piping you need, try looking for steam pipe, well thats what it's called in australia anyway.
thick walled, steel pipe.
you can buy it in loads of different sizes, from 1/2" ID upwards

your 110 motor, may be able to be stroked to 125cc, some of the 125 motors share the same size bore as the 110's
maybe talk to Terry from Firepower Minis too,he is in Flint,Michigan, he may be able to help you out
http://www.firepowerminis.net/
and drool over those daytona 150 4v motors too....

cheers, craig

Ok cool thanks. I'll definitly look into steam pipe.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to look into that and see if I can and I'll try and talk to him asap.

Thanks for the help you guys,
Arthur

you can contact Terry at Firepower Minis via facebook too.
and he is a TB agent as well....

Building has been going great. Moved some things around on the bike to get them outta the way. Had the bike running and decided to hold the turbo up to the muffler to see if it even spun and it did very nicely. Cut up the tube that goes from the carb to the head on the engine (I'ma call it the intake manifold for lack of a better term) and got the turbo mounted in a mocked up stage. Got the radiator hose I'm going to be using to make the tubing for the cool side of the turbo. Got the plate installed on the side of the head of the engine with the holes to get access to the oil and mounted an oil cooler/filter. I have plenty of pics if anyones interested I'll post them. Thanks for all the help guys it seems like this projects flying now that the weathers not as nice outside so I'm actually taking time and going into the garage and working on it

Pics, pics and more pics please mate.

Didn't get the exhaust all hooked up yet so its not all set up 100% and I just had it spinning for a little bit while I held it up to the exhaust because I didn't have the oillines setup yet

photo11131909_1.jpg

photo11122119.jpg

photo11131831.jpg

photo11131909.jpg

Now pics from progess today where I finally mocked up the turbo placement. I only used 1 bracket to hold it up and its not enough so I need to fab up another one.

photo11141811.jpg

photo11141813.jpg

photo11141813_1.jpg

^^^View from back left side of bike to show how nice it fits

photo11141814.jpg

^^^The lone mount I have right now for the turbo holding it up but its not enough so I need to cut another mount. This one was just a piece of steel I had sitting around I repurposed. I used the mounting point on the frame for this one after I relocated an electrical item to make room for the turbo that was previously using this mount

photo11141838.jpg

^^^The coolant tube will be perfect with sizes and everything I just need to cut it to the length I need

photo11101706.jpg

photo11101707.jpg

photo11101707_1.jpg

The oiler cooler/filter setup came with a lot of rubber hose that I'm going to be cutting to the needed lengths to run all the oil. These 3 pics were from my first day of tearing into the build. All the time leading up to this was collecting some parts and enjoying the weather and working on my cars while this sat waiting with me plotting for this winter to be a perfect winter project

I'm very interested in your project, i have thought about doing this to one of my bikes for a while now. A few years ago i built up a 6 cylinder turbo engine for street/drag use. You guys are going well the specs and the ideas the guys are saying are spoton. The idea of the stream pipe is ideal thats what i used and had no dramas with it. Keep the pics coming your going well mate.

Yeah I'm going to try and have my exhaust guy try and bend the existing pipe the way I need it and weld the flange I just cut out today onto it so I can bolt it up to the turbo just fine. Should work great unless the walls on the pipe are too thin and collapse. If that happens I'm going to end up using steam pipe. Its interesting the reactions I get from people when I go around collecting the parts because they ask what its for and I tell them. Many think I'm crazy. Others think I'm awesome. And others are just speechless:)

Though you are looking forward to work all on your own, I would always suggest you to take advice from a good mechanic as he would be able to guide you in a proper way. Rather than pondering and making trial and errors with the engine of your vehicle as it may lead to something dangerous.

holy ****. just realized that i advised someone on how to make a death machine :p nah yeah good luck keen to see a video when you get her running :)

Yeah I'm discussing with some of my buddies who turbo cars and getting advice for certain things. Progress slowed down quite a bit seeing as I was working so much but it so close I can taste it now. I have all the oil fittings for the turbo and the lines all setup and connected. I need to get a set of stubby tiny wrenches to tighten 1 bolt I can't really get to now to hold on the turbo. And I have the radiator tubes for the most part all set to put on and tighten the clamps (just gotta work a little more with it on the outlet side of the tubing for the cool side of the turbo to make it work right without kinking it). Started working on the exhaust but keep running into problems. The stock exhaust pipe started kinking right away and got trashed. So I got hard copper pipe to do it with (copper gives exhaust a different sound not sure if it still will seeing as it'll be before the turbo) but messed it up and kinked it. Going to go out and get some soft copper tubing so it'll be a lot easier to work with hopefully to make it in the arch I want it. Cut the exhaust flange to bolt to the turbo 1 time and messed up with the holes how I had it aligned so had to scrap it but redid it and came out good. 2nd time I used the gel frosting for cakes in a small tube thing to outline the holes on the turbo exhaust part then pressed the cut out piece of steel to it then went over it with a sharpie. Worked 100xs better. Once I get the exhaust all setup all I need to do is get a vacuum port on it to connect the wastegate and boost gauge too then ghetto rig a wideband to tune it using and then start this bad boy up.

Oh and I got a cheapy boost gauge all hooked up but it worked for a few days till my soldering failed and the connections came apart so now that I know how to solder for real I'm going to have to open it up and resolder it. Its a $2? boost gauge from harbor freight (yeah probably not 100% accurate but ehhh). Bought a little chromed mount and then took the bar pad off and cut out spots to put a 9v battery and a switch then cut a small notch for the switch to stick out of on the bar pad cover and a little hole to stick the power cord from the gauge into where the electronics are at. Looked pretty good when it worked lol. The LED can change between a few different colors (7?) just by pressing the button on the front of the gauge

photo11171635.jpg

photo12041457.jpg

photo12041851.jpg

photo12041851_1.jpg

Latest posts

Back