Never worked on a bike in my life...yet

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just been going crazy trying to figure out the exhaust. Tried to reuse the old pipe and rebend it but kinked it way too much in too many spots. Then tried copper tubing which was kind of going ok at the first bend but when I went to make the next bend the first bend kinked and I tryed to bend it back and it opened up the pipe. Now I got some conduit but if I want that to work I'm probably going to have to end up cutting it in tons of spots then just welding it all up to make the bends which'll be a pain and look worse then I'm really wanting lol. So as I'm thinking about it I'm thinking of looking into some of the custom shops around me that build custom roll cages to see if they'd be interested in helping me out by bending some actual tubing for hopefully not too much $

you could get a peice of pipe, cut and weld it at approx 45 deg
takes time... but it does not inhibit flow much.... also think about throwing the pipes around in random spots (like letting them stickout and whatnot) aslong as its where your leg isnt it will be fine :)

Yeah that's what I was thinking I was going to end up doing with the conduit if I can't find any performance shops willing to attempt it for dirt cheap. I got the tubing in 2 90degree curves so its kinda like how I'd need it. But also welding conduit makes vapors that can get you really sick for a day. I wouldn't mind as much if I was doing the welding but I don't have a welder of my own so my buddy'd be the one doing the welding and I'd rather not have to hear about it getting him sick lol.

And I'm kinda doing it in a random spot but the problem is I don't want it hitting the tire or impairing the ability to turn the bike. I need the pipe to come off the bottom of the head where the exhaust port is and wind around to in the front and into the turbo. The inlet for the hotside of the turbo is facing the front wheel so like I said I don't want it getting where it may hit the wheel or interfeir with the turning.

why dident you use "steam pipe" or got a ****ty exhaust pipe and used the pipe off that?

I tried to use the old exhaust pipe but totally messed that up kinking it in multiple spots. But now that you said steam pipe and I had the random weird urge to google flexible steam pipe I'm coming up with some possible solutions. Apparently some places make rubber tubing that is able to withstand a LOT of heat which may work. Looking into it more

Thanks for putting such interesting post, it will surely help both the newbies and the pros.

looks like you've been getting into it a bit, good work.
you do know you can loosen the bolts that hold the exhaust housing to the main body, then turn the exhaust around a bit to suit what you need?
same thing with the intake side too.

look into buying a kit for the exhaust, like this- http://www.mikesxs.net/product/19-0420.html
or google mandrel bent tubing in the size you need
even in stainless steel, like this- http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-304-st...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cc8e75daf
or this lot - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-5-1-1-...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ccc91ae2f

Sadly the flexible steam tube was a dead end

Yeah that what I was doing with the original exhaust tubing but then I had to bend it still a little to curve it up to where I needed it which is when I kinked it and kept messing it up.

Those sites are helpful but I think the exhaust tubing is around 1". I had a buddy suggest using 1.5" for most of it then just reduce it to 1" but it'd be tight with that big of tubing in the space I have. I'm thinking of picking up a Harbor Freight welder and just cutting up the conduit I have and welding it all together to make it at the right angles I need but my older brother might be able to get me a REAL welder for free but I have to wait for a few weeks to get it. (In case any of you don't know Harbor Freight basically just has a bunch of extremely cheap versions of real tools. Good for some stuff unless your going to use it all the time or want things really accurate IMO)

where abouts are you again mate?

if you have a friend with a welder see if you can use it for a night... buying one is not really the best option expecially if your gonna need argon to weld with it

In Illinois in the USA.

Yeah The welder I was looking at plugs into a regular wall outlet and was a gasless one using the wire with the flux coating so it wouldn't need gas because I don't want to really deal with getting the gas then paying the cylinder rental fee each month. I know a few people that have them but the one isn't the kind I know how to use and the other one he uses all the time working so he can't really let me borrow it for a night in case he gets some late work.

Actually been working on another bike lately because of the weather being crappy outside. Working on repainting my dads 91 Harley bagger (which I'm trying to get done before the weather gets really nice). And working on aquiring my CDL to get a better job. But the weather seems like its starting to let up so plans are getting drawn up because I'm sick of fooling around with this exhaust. So I've decided to go out and buy a Harbor Freight welder and planning out exactly where I want to cut the conduit to weld it back together to make the exhaust. I'm trying to make sure where I cut it is exactly right for what I want because I don't want to ruin another attempt because now that the weathers getting nicer I want to kick it in the ass and get this done. And a bonus I found a small dirtbike track really close to me that I used to ride around on a 50 when I was first learning how to ride dirtbikes. Its smaller now but it shall be the perfect place to test out the setup even though I wasn't really planning on taking this thing offroad that much when its done the fact that theres a place close enough makes it so I need to try it out. It can be a pain getting to someplace to ride around here being so close to the city.

But heres to hoping the snow does stop and the weather keeps rising into the 40s and above so I can come outta the garage and start cutting and welding.

that was quick :p
yeah i guess it would suck to have snow annually.. if i want to see snow i gotta drive to mt bulla once a year lol

yeah i've heard about that icy white stuff, snow....

we dont get it here, i have never felt/touched it or seen it in real life, just on tv or movies.
i'd have to go interstate to see it, maybe an 8 hour drive from here?

but it was 42 degrees C where i was last weekend, up at the farm, it's Spring here in Australia.

Last edited:
its been a record week here in melbourne... i dont think its dropped below 30...

Lol yeah snow can suck but it is fun when you go to empty parking lots in cars that haven't been plowed yet and just slide around. But yeah even when it isn't snowing being outside having to wear a massive jacket and extra clothes and having your fingers frozen while trying to work doesn't help. Sadly my garage is full of motorcycles so I can't do the work in there. I would wear gloves to keep the fingers from going numb but I need to be able to feel what I'm doing I can't stand having something on my hands when working even the latex gloves to keep my hands from getting dirty get old really fast.

The sad thing is even though we get weather like this every year people still don't know how to drive in it and constantly run into eachother.

Its just starting to get into the 30s F steady now and hopefully it just keeps rising now that springs coming around so I can get back to working on each nice day and finish this up.

Don't know if any of you guys are into street bikes but heres a couple shots of the work I've been doing

2.jpg

4.jpg

And have the other fender and all the fiberglass bags and the batwing ready for me to start primering. You don't need to take it down to bare metal for a good paint job but I wanted a fresh start because of all the hidden rust on the surface of the metal under the original paint. But it is not fun getting into all the tight spots to sand it thats for sure. I'd much rather be working on prepping and painting a car lol

And thats at my "school". Its basically just a place to hangout and work on bodywork/painting of automotive things and they provide all the tools you need (I have my own paint gun and DA though because they work better) and you get to use the paint booths and not make a mess at your own place and the air compressors they have are extremely heavy duty and separated from everything so you don't need to loose your hearing having them running the whole time

Latest posts

Back