Newby! and New Purchase today.

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Fellas. Sounds like I'll need to do some adjusting. Right at this minute I'm in Maryborough visiting rellies, the bike is quietly draining in the shed. Prolly in a foot of water by this stage! Lucky i stuck everything up on bricks!!

PS - Check the nuts on your bike before a long extended ride!!
I Rode MY Motorbike up to Maryborough (It's an old kwaka twin with double pipes).

I ended up dropping one of the pipes onto the bruce highway at 100km/h as I rode along. Scared the crap out of me!!

See this thread for details Check your Nuts!

Cheers all.

More on what I've been up to:

First - we stripped the bits off:
Battery: Blurk. Will toss this in the recycle at my local servo!
26122010327.JPG

Back wheel, chain, tank, Plastics off. Young fella's job was washing them in kero.

26122010326.JPG

Engine off (last night);

30122010331.JPG

OOPS! Looks like the chain came off at some stage and cracked the RH Crank case moulding - where it surrounds the magneto. That'll need fixing to stop the muck getting in.

30122010332.JPG

Another of the same:
30122010333.JPG

Bucket o' bolts

30122010334.JPG

More..

Last edited:
Engine, Forks, extra petrol etc, draining into oily sludge mix (in which I also dropped axle bolts, swingarm pinion roller bearings and chain guide to 'soak'. A bit yuk. I'll clean that all up tonight.

30122010336.JPG

The Frame - just with handle bars attached. Will remove these too, sand down just for good measure. :)

30122010337.JPG

In the background you can see a 3.5HP Briggs & stratton engine off an old lawnmower and a metal bed-frame. These will be turned into a go-kart one day!!

Stuck at the magneto (Magneto stuck)

well - I tried removing the magneto.

2 strong screwdrivers - nope. Don't want to crack / bruise the casing so stopped there.

I spent all avo making up a tool to remove it (a puller) on the welder /vice / grinder - but the steel wasn't strong enough and it bent. :(

Far out! hard little sucker.

Will text all my mates to see if one's got a magneto puller.

Any of you lot have one (northside brisbane) and can spare it for a few hours? :)

Will try again tomorrow.

Cheerio, happy new years!

dude you've sorta wasted your money you bought him a really old orion as it looks should bought him a dhz or pitpro you'll have a decent bike then but only if you willing to pay btween 800-1000 for a 125cc bike

dude you've sorta wasted your money you bought him a really old orion as it looks should bought him a dhz or pitpro you'll have a decent bike then but only if you willing to pay btween 800-1000 for a 125cc bike

Don't listen to him mate..a mans bike is only what he makes of it.

Besides, there's no dollar value on the time you have with your son building this bike !

Good luck mate and keep the updates coming.

It all depends what you're after. If you're after immediate riding, winning, etc - I've not spent my money wisely. If you're after a learning experience - say no more. :)

So, In my opinion - I haven't wasted my money. I've invested some into a project. Even if we don't get it going, we've still learned, and enjoyed some time together. So far it's been great! I recognised that old feeling of frustration with the magneto though. Time to stop & think! Cup of tea, cookie.

Then we'll back at it!.

And yes, we will get that sucka going.
Enjoy

Exactly what alwayscurious said.

since when did he say his using it for competition?
if you don't know the facts about what his using the bike for don't bother commenting...

any way hope to see more progress mate!

and as mini fighter said: A mans bike is only what he makes of it.

Here's some photos of my first attempt at a magneto puller - metal not strong enough and the tips bent. :(

01012011342.JPG

01012011341.JPG

Here's some photos of the $30 Super Cheap Auto 3 jaw puller. Wish me luck, I'm getting kitted up to go out to the shed now and remove that sticky little so n so!

01012011352.JPG

01012011353.JPG

FOILED!
01012011354.JPG

I used the gear puller - and strained with all my might. I even used an old pipe to give me leverage. The thing didn't budge.

What did happen though *(which was annoying) was that the top of the Crankshaft was spread out like a bell!! Yikes!

STOP.

So I stopped.

I then got out my grinder, ground off the spread off bit, -vacuumed out the grit & metal filings.

I put the nut back on, and then quietly re-assembled the magneto cover.
01012011355.JPG

01012011357.JPG

I think I'll end up trying a different way to fix that bluddy hole in the magneto case.

(Methinks some carefully shaped aluminum flashing and some carefully applied JB-Weld should do the trick to seal up the hole.)

However, with some fiddling and some re-connection of wires - I got spark!! Baby got SPARK!! woot Woot!

Lastly - I ground off the ugly 'extra seat' thing that was welded on.
01012011360.JPG

SPARK + COMPRESSION = it's going to run!

Latest posts

Back