Newby! and New Purchase today.

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look what arrived today!!
Clutch cable, Brake Lever (Folding?!), Air Filter, new Spark & Some fuel filters.

Almost rideable now..

10012011386.JPG

Last edited:
nice rebuild mate some pro tapers and a graphics kit and i bet ya boy will be even more stoked

Update on progress.

Update: Clutch cable installed. Works a treat!

also - Front Brake lever put on.

The front brakes were blead nearly dry :thumbdown: But I bled them through with some new oil using the 1 2 3 4 technique.

Thanks to This thread

1 squeeze lever,
2 undo bleed nut,
3 tighten bleed nut,
4 release lever.

Once I got into a rhythm, I managed to bleed the old crappy brake fluid (what was left of it right through the system, and I now have decent compression on the brakes!

I did the same to the rear brakes. The stuff in it was clear and thin like water. Bad news. I put in decent blue castrol dot 3 in both.

I've got quite a list left to do:

Air filter on
fuel filter on
New Spark plug in
Tighten chain via back wheel.
Install inner magneto covers (thanks mattbombers)
Re-install Seat
Check valves
Check oil
short ride.
check timing.

Then we should be ready to roll!!

Lastly - I ground off the ugly 'extra seat' thing that was welded on.

I'm quite surprised no one else has suggested this yet... The 'extra seat' looks a lot like a wheelie bar to me ;)

Good to see the bike looking in the shape it does now; bloody good job!

Cranky Mailman!!

Far out! Good service. Look what arrived today, thanks to MattBombers

The mailman dumped it on my front porch and then growled at me cause it's so heavy.
12012011389.JPG

You know why?? It's still full of oil LOL

12012011390.JPG

Thanks Matt! Look forward to grabbing the covers off this baby and onto mine. :)

Bit of time here mate and you'll get to know Matty aint the sharpest tool in the shed..lol

Last edited:
no kickstart compression

Hi there guys.

Unfortunately the kickstart is no longer working :( The kick worked intermittently at first but it seems to just spin. It's not catching.

However the bike still has heaps of compression and when it does start (it did once this avo) it runs. It's a bit of a handful though! nearly threw me off!!

I've popped the front wheel up just driving the backyard, so I'll need to get it more controllable before letting my 7 year old loose on it..

Anyway - now to find out the kickstart compression.

And install the plates off mattbombers engine ;)

Last edited:
It's most likely just a stripped kick starter gear by the sound of things... Grab the replacement parts out of the engine Mattbombers sent you :)

There are "how to" write ups on this part replacement in the tech section...

Good work man i wouldnt have touched an orion but u have done well and nothing beats some good old shed time with the young bloke :thumbup:

It was the clutch cable. loosened it off again and kicker has compression. Nice. Runs. Sounds like a turd though. Might need carburettor adjustment / tuning.

Some work ahead but the little fella's had his first ride (learning the clutch) with me hanging on to the bars & running beside. He's stoked! Totally.

yeah my dad didn't hold on for me when i learnt he said nahh you'll be alright back straight through next door XD o well glad your kids are getting some fun out of it aye

Hey mattbombers - your engine was pulled apart today!!

I'm still impressed you sent that to me for postage costs. Kudos to you my man!

I took inner & outer magneto housing off and took the inner rotor kit out - unknown heritage! I took mine out of the cracked housing as I know it works - and it's already correctly terminated.

In the process, I had to drill one of the screws out - they were FREAKING tight. Didn't respond to even the ministrations of my mini-sledge & the impact screwdriver.

A 3mm drill through the guts fixed it soon enough.

Old inner cover
15012011404.JPG

NEW inner cover:
15012011405.JPG

Notice the difference??

I then used the CORRECT TOOL to get the magneto off mine. A few turns of the 16mm socket at the end and "CRACK" the magneto popped loose. No Belting, no swearing, no sweat. I'll remember that next time!

Then I put it all back together, and although the engine now looks a bit odd - mostly black, with a silver magneto case, I am pleased to say it is now sealed off, watertight & snug away from crap flung off the chain.

I'd still like to fix up the sprocket cover to make doubly certain, but that's another matter.

Next, I pulled the carby off. I'm taking that to bits tonight, and will set it all back up again. It's tuned pretty badly and runs like a turd, so I'll be playing with that.

Thanks all for your help so far - we're really racing along now and Caleb's as keen as mustard. We'll have to take it out to the farm & thrash it once it's running well.

(I'll make sure I take a toolkit & some spares though!!)

yours, a very satisfied:
alwayscurious.

Last edited:
PS by the blackened and choked up look of the brand new spark plug, it's running as rich as! so that's a clue for me. Lucky there's some good guides on here about carby tuning!
EG THIS POST

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back