Newby! and New Purchase today.

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK I pulled the carby to pieces and carefully cleaned it.

Observation # 1
it was filthy.

Observation # 2 - Carby cleaner in the eye hurts like ruddy damn hell and takes ages to flush out.
15012011406.JPG

Observation # 3.

It's a Jing Ke, 30mm Carby.
It has the needle circlip on the 2nd rung from the bottom.
It has a JK 85 main jet and a JK 38 idle jet

It only has an idle adjustment
AND
1 air/fuel mixture screw. I adjusted this to be 2 turns out.

Now it's lovely and clean. I hope it runs better.

Next step: Adjust inlet & exhaust to
003 thou (.0762mm) and 004 thou (.102 mm) respectively.
After this it should run a LOT better.

I hope.

Hi all: Latest update.

Got the carby back on.
15012011408.JPG

I got it started, and once it was warmed up I started fiddling with the fuel/air adjustment screw.

A bit of a fiddle to change this - but managed to find a tiny screwdriver that fit.

Got it running a bit better!
Still bogging on the first 1/4 throttle though so will be reading more on that.

Took the lad for a ride up and down the front of our footpath to teach him clutch, accelerator. He's as happy as a clam.

The kick start's a bit too much work for him though! LOL - I'm going to get the e-start up and running because it's a pain in the upper thigh to start. Literally!

One last thing I found: Oil leak from behind the chain sprocket. Will pull that out and replace. Hopefully can do this without pulling the engine apart. It's fairly serious - the thing drips constantly when it's running. lawn starting to look a little greasy!! :(

with the oil leak, make sure its not the rubber bung above the sprocket!! pretty common...

as for your carb problem, id suggest raising the needle clip to lean the fuel out a little.. sounds like its getting too much..

Hi there. Had the most frustrating attempt with the carby. Pulled it off, cleaned it, moved the e-clip up one notch to lean out the fuel - and the barstid won't start. My leg got tired from turning it over.

Try again this Saturday! And thanks Sean - I'll check the rubber bung.

Any comments about the carby jets sizes??

Hi,

I have very much enjoyed reading through your journey.

Great to see a dad spending some time with his son. Easy to find money, hard to find time.

If you had gone out and bought him a brand new 80cc he may have learned to ride.

The experience you have given him is so much more than that.

Congrats dad.

Logic

ouch man the carby cleaner would of hurt like **** i got it on my lip for about literally 30sec and my bottom and part of my top lip went numb until i cleaned it straight after

Thanks @logicquests & @!bmth! - the encouragement certainly helps. yes we are enjoyiing the journey - it's something to be proud of for both of us!!

- Righto chaps. Today we go out to the shed again. Carby re-clean & reset (Again) - this time properly!!

Also we're taking the opportunity to set the valves - using this thread and this thread.

Because today I bought this:
12570-thumb.jpg

Mixed success today!
Firstly - I set the valves - they weren't too bad.

I found the cause of the oil leak!! The oil seal behind the sprocket had popped out. So a spark plug socket over that and a gentle tap and in it went again. Oil leak fixed (or slowed right down anyway!)

Carby? Hmm. Very limited success.

I moved the circlip UP to the 2nd last notch (therefore Lowering the needle, and LEANING the fuel). It's a hard one to tune. I got it to a tolerable spot - it was bogging down at about 1/3 throttle but going OK at idle, and good at full throttle - we rode up the rode and back but then I couldn't get it going again properly - it bogs right down at 1/3 throttle and dies..

I also noticed at this stage that the needle was a little bent to one side - so I straightened it out.
So I put the needle to the TOP circlip - and it ran even worse.

When I looked at the spark plug after this adventure it was fully black and sooty.

So it IS running too rich.

Lastly I put it on the 2nd last circlip notch from the top (as that's the best success I've had so far) and I had to put it away at this stage. I'll clean out the spark plug, fiddle the air/fuel mixture until it's about right and then leave it.

I might look at buying a complete carby, 2nd hand. Anyone got one that's nicely tuned??

I had the boy riding on it for about ten mins (with me on the back).

Now I need to find somewhere we can ride it!

It's all success my friend.

I just bought another little 50 for my six yr old son today. The 110 I bought last week scared the crap out of him, kind of did the same for me as it is so small and has some serious power for a bike of its size. If I accelerate hard into 2nd and 3rd the front wheel pops up without any bother.

Please keep the updates coming as I am certain I am not the only one enjoying the sitcom.

If you find a reasonably priced Carb on ebay that may suit, let me know as I would be more than happy to watch on a "pay per view basis" and either direct deposit the cash to you or the seller if it helps you keep things rolling along.

Logic

OK - latest update to the sitcom (hahah!)

Yesterday I found online (gumtree) a fella selling a 26mm genuine Mikuni.
I bought that for $15 (bargain!) and he was really interested in what we're doing here.

He also threw in an oil cooler and a high powered ignition coil. Man! everyone's been so generous - it's amazing! Thanks Len!

He's a mechanic by trade and when I was talking he thought that a 30mm on a 125 bike was a bit overkill.

So I fitted the carby - in the process I had a few issues - some of which were resolved.

(Note - most of the time I am doing this I have a little fella sitting next to me on an upside down bucket asking 100 questions, so progress is kinda slow but fun!)

Issue #1. The carby is a bit taller than the old one and the fuel line was kinking where it bent around the fuel filter. It wasn't flowing, so I ended up temporarily removing the fuel filter and running a straight line to the carby from the tank (Clean fuel only!!)
I have to get some more fuel line before I continue.

Issue #2. The carby mount that sits against the engine was about 5mm thinner than the jialing one. So the bolts wouldn't screw down to hold it down. I ended up using 2 spring washers each - problem solved.

Issue #3. The carby leaked fuel out of the overflow.
I checked for dirt - found a little bit of gummy crap, cleaned that out - but it still leaks a bit.
I think the next thing is to ever-so-carefully adjust the float level down a bit so it doesn't overfill.
Not yet done.

Issue #4 - I started it - and it revved up quite a bit - and then as I reached for the screwdriver to idle it down - it backfired 3 times (LOUD) and stopped. The plug was flooded & wet at this stage.
Hmm..

So - at this stage I ran out of time & had to go and do baths, lunches & get ready for kids first day of school (*I have 3 boys!)

Signing off on this particular sitcom,

alwayscurious.

It's all success my friend.

I just bought another little 50 for my six yr old son today. The 110 I bought last week scared the crap out of him, kind of did the same for me as it is so small and has some serious power for a bike of its size. If I accelerate hard into 2nd and 3rd the front wheel pops up without any bother.

Please keep the updates coming as I am certain I am not the only one enjoying the sitcom.

If you find a reasonably priced Carb on ebay that may suit, let me know as I would be more than happy to watch on a "pay per view basis" and either direct deposit the cash to you or the seller if it helps you keep things rolling along.

Logic

Hey Logic - are you going to keep the 110 for yourself & ride along with him? :) That's probably my goal - to pick up another cheapy and ride together.

Its a bit small for me. I will probably keep it, but I will need to beef up the suspension if I am going to ride it for any length of time.

It has heaps of grunt but is way too small for me.

He has a little electric MX bike, don't laugh, it is very cool. Google "razor mx 350". Great for a little person to learn on and no noise, whisper quiet, so they can ride them anywhere at all.

The plan is we will ride together. I am on the lookout now for a bike for me, a trailer and maybe another vehicle I wont mind stinking of petrol and being filled with dirt and sand.

I don't want to push him into it too much but I think it will be good for us. My daughter also rides and she is 10. Hopefully as they grow I can keep them away from some of the trouble bored teen's seem to gravitate towards. I don't know how well I'll go with this but if they have another focus hopefully they will concentrate on this. God only knows what the hormones will throw into the equation though.

Logic

Righto chaps - I picked up 500mm of Fuel hose on the way into work today. So I should be right to whack that on (with fuel filter in place, like it should be).

My son's SOOO ready to ride (or so he thinks). He puts on his helmet the second I go near the kickstarter. Sigh.

once I get it running I'll have to get it out and about. Note to self (take toolbox with me).

I really want one now myself!

The tools are a must.

Amazing how a long drive and a bike that wont start can be salvaged if you have a screw driver and a few spanners with you.

Logic

Update - tonight I had another go at the 'new' carby.
This time I took it off, pulled it apart properly, and cleaned it out completley. And then re-assembled.

I mounted the carby properly with fuel hose to spare!

Tested that - it's flowing nicely *(because it was late, I did the simple test - stick a tin can under the drain hose, switch the fuel tap on, and undo the drain screw. Dribbled. :) ).

With that on, I decided to have a quick look at the loose chain. After tightening that up a bit I noticed
that the back tyre was flat. Poo.

Pump out. Pump Pump Pump Pump Pump..... and so on. NO pressure. Oh dear.
I think I punctured it when I rode up the end of the street and back the other day.

Off with the back wheel.

Off with the tyre with the 2 Tyre irons i bought YESTERDAY for my own motorbike! (lucky).

Out with the tube.

Tube came out, even though the valve was still screwed in. Hmm..

25012011446.JPG

That's not salvagable. New Tube! $12 from ebay.

Tomorrow I'll start it and ensure it runs OK. Hopes against hope that it runs well. Then the new tube on, and it's ready to go.

Please Please Please - we just wanna ride it now... :)

hay mate , go to your local dirt bike shop u should get a new tube for about $10 better then waiting a week for it to come in the poast . also it would be a good idear to get a rim lock they stop the valves getting ripped off

hay mate , go to your local dirt bike shop u should get a new tube for about $10 better then waiting a week for it to come in the poast . also it would be a good idear to get a rim lock they stop the valves getting ripped off

Or just unscrew the valve before pulling the tube out next time :lol_hitting:

Nah, rim locks are the go, one of these days I might have to invest in a couple for myself... Not needed that often though as the bike is usually a tard.

Going Backwards! Now the darn thing is not running.

This is kinda getting frustrating - cause now I can't start the damn thing.

I've still got the back wheel off - but whilst that was off I decided to see if we could get it started & new carby tuned up.
So I hooked up my Kawasaki battery and jumpered it to the starter motor - we got some turnover - and plenty of spark (checked with spark plug out, blue sparks allmighty!)

But: It kept flooding badly - and I couldn't start it. It seems like it's running REALLY rich - No spark at all not even a cough.

Because I had the back wheel off - and it's up on a stand, I couldn't get to it to kick it over to check.

It was definitely turning over though - spark, and fuel (too much) but the fuel just Did Not Ignite.

chechechechechechechechechecheche and no chechechceThumpBangagnagnagnagangan.

I even tried a squirt of start ya Barstid down the carby throat, and took the spark plug out, cleaned, dried, - squirt of SYB down the plug hole, check spark, yep - heaps of blue spark, re-insert, then nothing.
chechechechecheche.

I then tried swapping carbies - re-put the old one (Jialing 30mm) in, and also tried new one (Mikuni 26mm).

Checked I had fuel by undoing drain screw - yep fuel dribbled out into the tin. Did that back up again.

Try again.
Nope, nothing nada. Not a pop.

Took the exhaust off and tried again - not a squizzle.

So, Is there a difference in engine turnover between Kicker and e-start?
the e-start was turning it over, and I had compression, spark & fuel. Should have lit up but nothing.

So I have spark, and fuel. I'll have another tweak at leaning out the needle, and I will get myself a new spark plug.

I am using two different spark plugs - one a new one (seems crappy though, black oily sludge coming out from between the ceramic body & Metal part, and the ceramics a bit wobbly) and the old one cleaned up with a wire brush.

Time for a new one.

Spark is a C7HSA - SuperCheap sell them for 4.50 so I'll swing by tomorrow and grab one.
206670-thumb.jpg

FYI - the air/fuel mix screw is about 1& 1/2 turns out on both the mikuni 26mm (how it was when I bought it) and the same on the Jialing 30mm.

Sigh.

so was it running before you tried all this?

rich pilot jet can cause hard starting..

slow wind over with the e-start can cause problems..

but at present i would rule the carb out as being a problem.. if it didnt start with start spray then it points to electrical.. id say its firing at the wrong time or something like that..

change your cdi and coil (1 at a time)and see what happens or wait till you can try kick start it just to rule out the e-start power not being quick enough on wind over...

also check your pickup sensor on the stator plate is in good condition.. its a crank angle sensor so it decides when to fire the plug..

HI Sean - it was running before. I had it running with the Jialing (but it bogged down badly) I then had it running with the Mikuni - but it was hesitant also.

Now I've got nothing.

I am holding onto the slow wind over with e-start being the cause.

I will try kick start - but I have to drop the bike down off the stand and Jury-Rig some kind of stand for me to kick it with the back wheel off.

Pickup sensor - will also check that.

The crazy thing is I've got blue sparks when I turn it over by hand, or by e-start.

Latest posts

Back