westy's CRF50 build

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hopefully, I know a guy at King Racing USA who looks after me when I want a bit of stuff at once, Ill speak to him soon an see what he can do

ok guys this is one of my 50s with +1 redbaron forks & hd springs and a fastace 58rc shock this is what it will look like if you go this way.
iphonePictures534.jpg

pros of going this way: cheaper good ride height for adult shouldnt bottom out unless your jumpin 50 footers
cons: rear shock is too hard and goes up and down like a pogo stick. even with adjustable shock the spring is too hard to get any use out of the adjustments. and you have to cut your seat out to fit it in so i wouldnt go out and buy an expensive redbaron seat if you chose the fastace shock cos your only gonna butcher it any way.

iphonePictures536.jpg

either way you go will be ok but if you can afford it the fox rear shock is sooo worth the money and you will definately be able to sell it after. hell i would buy it off ya if you didnt like it

Last edited:
thanks craig, may have to look a a fox float then. would last me a lot longer

thats the problem im finding bigger shocks are way to hard, pogo is no good for wheelieo thinking about going back to stock shock with bigger spring

or go a longer shock and then go for a softer spring? craig on your fast ace shock, you look like you have a bit more preload adjustment left, what happens if you back that right off untill you run out of thread? or is the spring still too sprung?

ok guys this is one of my 50s with +1 redbaron forks & hd springs and a fastace 58rc shock this is what it will look like if you go this way.
iphonePictures534.jpg

pros of going this way: cheaper good ride height for adult shouldnt bottom out unless your jumpin 50 footers
cons: rear shock is too hard and goes up and down like a pogo stick. even with adjustable shock the spring is too hard to get any use out of the adjustments. and you have to cut your seat out to fit it in so i wouldnt go out and buy an expensive redbaron seat if you chose the fastace shock cos your only gonna butcher it any way.

iphonePictures536.jpg

either way you go will be ok but if you can afford it the fox rear shock is sooo worth the money and you will definately be able to sell it after. hell i would buy it off ya if you didnt like it

no wonder it's so hard that shock is for a mono swinga must have like a 600/700 pound spring

saga what LB would you recomend for the cantilever swingarm?

saga what LB would you recomend for the cantilever swingarm?

both my ishock and kitaco shocks are 250pound springs seem to work fine not too hard not too soft. but if i bought another shock id go the fox float easier adjustments without the hassle of sourcing and changing springs if need be.

And look how much it has pulled the back wheel in. Would be affecting handling for sure. I'm not a fan of Ishock's at all. Blow out too easy.

next week I got comin:
fast ace shock with 550lb spring - it should be ok, I have eaten a few hamburgers this week
tall seat
chromo footpegs- wingin it with this one, not sure if they will fit, but for 19 bucks worth a shot
and fuel tank breather, coz im fed up with dragin the long tube out with my knees all the time.

will get pics up once done

Sounds good mate, let me know how the fast ace shock goes. i think rear shock is the next on the list of things to do on my bike

550lb will be pretty solid! dhz use to or still does have softer shocks for that style shock . email them if you cant find one advertised they would most likely have them.

think i had around a 350 with +4 swinga on my 50 so around 250 would be nice.

thanks woggy, I have emailed them.

chester, I prolly wont install the shock without the fork legs, would probably be a bit difficult to ride. fork legs are commin in a week or so.

thought I would try and get some stuff from DHZ coz everyone seems to like them. I would have to agree. the order went through without a fuss, they were very promt with emailing me the shipping status, and on first glance the product appears good.

got a tall seat, pegs, shock, and fuel cap breather.

instalation of the fuel cap was easy enough, the seat was pretty straight forward, had to drill out the holes for the screws, shock is a bit tight, and rubs on the frame a tiny bit, not enough to stress about just yet, pegs were on, but the springs arent suited to CRF, so may have to jam the stock ones in there or make up my own.

looks a little funky at the moment, but will get some fork springs and legs and we will be set to party.

shocko comparo
P1000705.jpg

as it stands
P1000706.jpg

lets go ridin...

anyone know of any after market kickstarters that fold out of the way, circa big motocrossers? this one keeps gettin hooked on my jeans when I jump, and it annoys me and I have to tuck my jeans into my socks like nicole kidman in BMX Bandits and I cant have that because the only reason I ride is to look cool.

Last edited:
Reactions: TyD
cr 85 kickstarter fits . mite be a particular model so make sure first from a honda dealer or something . but they look nice and trick on a crf50 and tuck away pretty good.

Latest posts

Back