westy's CRF50 build

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dunno yet, havent been home with enough daylight to find out. its pretty hard hey.

lookin good westy! coming along very nicely :)

Pretty keen to hear how the new shock goes, I hit the track yesterday morning for a few hours and my ass is still recovering..

first ride with shock. no jumps this arvo, just some good ole bushwhackin. initially i thought it would be too stiff, and it is stiff, 550lb spring, but for what I want it for it may just turn out sweet. dont have the front end done yet and surprisingly its not completely uncomfortable to ride. but when the +1 legs and springs come we will be set. tall seat is definately a winner as with the wider pegs. very happy with my DHZ cheapies at the moment.

I agree with you on the DHZ cheapies man, such good value for money compared to the genuine honda aftermarket parts!

Far out! I was using a 250LBS spring on my dnm and felt it was too stiff. I weight 40kgs. But still for an a style swinga I reckon 550lbs would be fairly stiff.

little update. not much has changed except for some scratches. whips on 50s are hard, dont have the gyro effect of the wheels to help you straighten up. so i have taken a few dirt samples.
but i digress,

on the ocean somewhere should be some sik 50s forks springs and another shock. anyone else bought stuff from king racing? how long does it usually take?

I got some of there gear off there ebay store 2 weeks ago , and it was quick as hell , around 6 days

Yeah mate Darryl at King Racing is GREAT to Deal with! Wont take long mate...less than 10 days for sure

only a month and a bit later and my suspension should be in australia somewhere. now just gotta wait for the horse and cart to deliver it. Darryl at king racing is a champ. highy recomend his services.

Nice, hows the pipe?
it looks sweet on your bike

the pipe is brilliant. probably a bit of overkill for the engine, but was cheap, and i will need it for my 88cc kit anyway. the 50 basically had nothing down low anyway, but with the PC pipe it will rev alot higher, and there is an increase in the whole power curve. when the 88 kit comes along i will try with the stocker and with the pc pipe. and the sound is awesome too.

Defs agree with what has been said about the T4 and Darryl at KingRacingUSA! (better customer service than any other internet shopping site I have used!) My little larry suspension kit came in the mail yesterday from Sik50s :D pretty stoked with that as there were only a few kits he was able to get a hold of for a few months and I got one! I just finished putting the front end together, only took 45 minutes and now its on to my new spring for the rear and I should be race ready ha first impressions of the new fork setup are pretty good, rather stiff at the moment but they should wear in and mellow out a bit with a few hours on the track :) let us know how your springs and other goodies go man pretty keen to hear someone elses thoughts! Ride on boys!!

WTF brosef?? when did you order yours?? well i know my little larry kit left on the 7th of december, still waitin.

do you have photos of your forks, love to see how they lifted the front end....

yeh darryl has been awesome. he has chased up suppliers for me to get the stuff i wanted, then gave me a good deal in the end coz i was waitin for so long. champ.

Man I know what ya mean I ordered my kit in early november, he was waiting on fork legs and springs to come in before he posted anything out and he only got a small number of fork leg sets in about 2 weeks ago. My stuff was sent from the U.S around about December 2nd and came yesterday so it took 11 days from when it was sent so you should get yours around Monday? I would take a photo but Ive got to do some fine tuning i dont think i set them up properly theres a bit of slack / free play in them which im trying to get rid of tonight and it makes the front wheel look way lower than it normally sits haha. Howd ya go putting in your new rear spring? I havent attempted it yet but is there anything i should look out for or not do? lol

IMG_0396.jpg

I actually went for the Ishock option. so I coudlnt tell ya about the spring. but I would suggest a vice and some multigrips, alot of patience and some eye protection would be a good start. yeh i placed my order way back in october and he was waiting for stock then.

looks good man, wishing I got a bash plate at the same time now, looks like I will have to wait for one of them too. will post up some photos when I get mine.

nah man i meant the blue shock not just the spring lol didnt you already put an aftermarket rear shock in your ride? how hard was it to take out and put the new shock in..

ohh piss easy. take the seat off, and you got two bolts. its a bit of a squeeze to get in there, and thats because of the rubber swingarm mount bushes, they are rubbish. I am going to get the Alls Balls bearing kit for them. also you might need to shim the gap where the shock mounts are, just a couple of mild steel washers will be fine, will allow you to really reef up the bolts without squeezing the mounts. but you may not need to. if you dont understand what i mean now, you will when you install it.

would also suggest sliding your axle back as far as you can, just to get some extra length in the wheelbase, with the longer shock you really mess with the geometry of that little swingarm. originally i thought I was going to be ok with the stocker, but i can see the benefit in a +1 or +2 swinger now. Might even drag out the welder and fab something myself. wait and see how the new shock goes.

thanks for the advice man ill tackle it tomorrow an ill let you know how i go! if ya need help with your forks (though its pretty straight forward once ya pull them out) id be more than happy to help. man i got a 39t sprocket on the back and that brought my wheel up like half an inch closer to the engine :( i hope i dont have to go back to 37t for the new shock, like yours its a bit longer than the stock shock so its gonna sit funny i rekon, not keen on upgrading my swinger anytime soon either brother!

Latest posts

Back