Z160Ho lighting and battery charging?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batesey25

Reaction score
Hi all! I've been doing some engine swapping lately on my rx50 (used to have a yx150 with a 125cc stator/flywheel and now it is a tiny bit dead...) and now I have managed to fit a z160ho inside that crammed little frame.

It has the outer rotor kit (as all of them do) but there are no charging wires. The only spare wire was a green/red neutral wire which wasn't much help, so I purchased another outer rotor kit from DHZ that DOES have charging wires (I believe it's the Lifan 150 kit?) Here's the link for it: Racing Out Rotor Kit, Adjust Timing, Semi-Digi CDI, Harness ? Buy Online Australia at DHZ

After I tore open the box I discovered there is only one yellow wire spare as well as the green/red neutral wire. Isn't there supposed to be two charge wires? Is it possible to make it work with the rx's setup or have I accidentally bought the wrong thing?? :(

Any help would be much appreciated. I'm still not electrically savvy like many of you geniuses seem to be...

That's right with it having only 1 yellow lighting coil wire.
All you need to do is to join another short bit of wire to it just before the end and fit a female crimp terminal to it, and one to the end of the extra bit of wire

Then where it plugs into your regulator/rectifier it will look like this

The Lifan 150 stator you have bought won't fit straight on to your engine, the backing plate needs 3mm to be machined out of it so the flywheel will clear it.
See this thread- http://www.miniriders.com/electrica...otor-stator-conversion-z155ho-z160ho-etc.html

But what you can do is the carefuly undo the 2x screws holding the coils onto the Z160Ho stator plate, and same on the Lifan 150 stator and swap them over.
Be careful though, some of those screws snap off easily

iirc i have talked someone else here through the same swap as well.

You can buy a stator that will be a direct/straight swap too off ebay

Also you could have just swapped the stator off the YX150 straight onto your Z160Ho

That's right with it having only 1 yellow lighting coil wire.
All you need to do is to join another short bit of wire to it just before the end and fit a female crimp terminal to it, and one to the end of the extra bit of wire

Then where it plugs into your regulator/rectifier it will look like this

The Lifan 150 stator you have bought won't fit straight on to your engine, the backing plate needs 3mm to be machined out of it so the flywheel will clear it.
See this thread- http://www.miniriders.com/electrica...otor-stator-conversion-z155ho-z160ho-etc.html

But what you can do is the carefuly undo the 2x screws holding the coils onto the Z160Ho stator plate, and same on the Lifan 150 stator and swap them over.
Be careful though, some of those screws snap off easily

iirc i have talked someone else here through the same swap as well.

You can buy a stator that will be a direct/straight swap too off ebay

Also you could have just swapped the stator off the YX150 straight onto your Z160Ho

Thanks heaps for the reply :)
I would have used the old stator and flywheel if it weren't the reason it blew up. The flywheel actually flew off the shaft and munched up a heap of internals. We're not sure if it wasn't done up tight enough or if the part that locks it in place broke, but it's pretty dead right now.

My regulator/rectifier is a 5 pin setup. Would doing that still make everything run all good?

How was the YX150 wired up, that only has 2 lighting coil wires ?
You could alway's adapt a 4 pin reg/rect to your bike too

Last edited:
i havnt even looked at my new yx160 wiring other than i seen 2 yellow wires

The yx had a stator from some ducar/lifan/God only knows 125cc that had two wires; a white one and a yellow one. It was pretty easy to put together seeming as though the harness for the original 50cc was made for that exact design. Ran perfectly up until the flywheel decided it wanted to leave :p

Me and my brother have been doing a lot of work on the z160 this afternoon. We managed to swap over the coils and get it mostly wired together properly. We've managed to get a spark out of it but we have no idea if it charges the battery with the way we've put it together. Gonna check it out tomorrow when it isn't 9pm :)

Last edited:
Haha yeah small worl hey mate [emoji108]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've done it! Through lots of guesswork we've managed to get a decent charge to the battery now!

After transplanting the internals from the lifan stator to the z160 stator and wiring everything except the charge wire up, we got the bike running. Now while doing that transplanting, we discovered there was a small wire wrapped in white insulation kind of stuff (looks like some kind of tiny fabric) that was sandwiched between the adjustable plate and the stator plate. So we decided to poke that wire through to where the rest of the wires come out and see what we could do with it.

Then we put the one yellow charge wire to the yellow wire coming from the 5-pin rectifier, and then we hooked up that little wire we found to the pink wire coming from the rectifier and also plugged the z160 CDI into the loom rather than the lifan 150's. Now it's constantly giving 13-13.5v to the battery even with all the lights on! I dunno how it works, but it does and I'm very happy about it :laughing-smiley-002

Thanks a bunch for your help my67xr :) You sure saved us a lot of time!

Ok, so you've used the earth wire from the lighting coil which is a single phase setup, and run that up to the reg/rect making it a dual phase lighting coil {floating earth system)
But what did you use for the 3rd wire to the reg/rect?
Could you post a pic of the wiring running to your reg/rect please ?

That stator mod was posted here a while ago, but a couple of member had problems with it.
http://www.miniriders.com/electrica...-stator-mod-2.html?highlight=lifan+150+stator

Last edited:
Ok, so you've used the earth wire from the lighting coil which is a single phase setup, and run that up to the reg/rect making it a dual phase lighting coil {floating earth system)
But what did you use for the 3rd wire to the reg/rect?
Could you post a pic of the wiring running to your reg/rect please ?

That stator mod was posted here a while ago, but a couple of member had problems with it.
http://www.miniriders.com/electrica...-stator-mod-2.html?highlight=lifan+150+stator

We pretty much did exactly what was on the first page of that thread :) It seems to work pretty well! 13v at idle/low revs and 13.5v at higher revs.

I miss my electric start only because im a lazy **** haha..good to hear its all good

Hmm... It would seem I am running into some problems too :/ After a 10 min ride with the lowbeams on the dash dims a little and the horn sounds muffled :/ Not sure what to do about that

Ditch the battery bro

I run a battryless setup..once kicked it supply enough power for everything..even better with majority led globes

The capaciter is 40 bux and then its up to you how much elec start wiring u clear out

Spoonta68,
what are the dimensions of your capacitor ?

Batesy,
if you change your wiring back to stock, and connect it like i explained in the second post it might work better for you.
Put the earth lead back onto the back of the stator plate and add a short bit of wire to the end of the yellow wire and plug them into the regulator/rectifier

Um its the size of like a d battery..no bulk or weight equals a saving on unneeded ****

Latest posts

Back