Z50 Gorilla Replica (Tonelli G125)

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ringo

Certified MR Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd start this build thread just as it starts getting interesting!!

I bought this Tonelli G125 from a dealer unregistered and put it over the pits.

How it looked when I bought it:

sbwy.jpg

55hf.jpg

Went for a track night at the local kart track:

sew6.jpg

And how it is now:

u1bk.jpg

1ae2.jpg

So far I've changed the tyres, seat, body work, paint, shocks, bars, mirrors, exhaust, carby.

But now is where it gets good!! I've just ordered from DHZ a Daytona Anima 190 FDX, Keihin 28mm pwk, and Outlaw swingarm with 3x ride height adjustable blocks, DNM 240mm shock, Gpx Black Label forks 660mm, pitster 220mm front brakes, Outlaw rear brakes and these wheels:

v95w.jpg

I'll update as I go along!!

you sir, are a mad man !!

+ reps for this thread

i cant wait to see how it goes,
i hope you have a helmet cam ready too?

cheers, craig

Haha, yeah I think it's time to hold off on some go fast stuff and invest in a gopro or similar.... It does 120km/h now on downhill, with a tail wind!!! :D I reckon it'll do 150-160km/h with the right gearing!!! On a closed circuit of course!! :driver:

That thing is gonna be cool, the new wheels look the goods be intersting to see how it looks once it's all put together, and you should be right for 150 at least, i remeber reading a while ago someone was supposevly getting 150 out of a tuned/ported 160 + V2 so in theory the anima should do it easily, the trouble might be trying to get sprokets for it though.

That thing is gonna be cool, the new wheels look the goods be intersting to see how it looks once it's all put together, and you should be right for 150 at least, i remeber reading a while ago someone was supposevly getting 150 out of a tuned/ported 160 + V2 so in theory the anima should do it easily, the trouble might be trying to get sprokets for it though.
00racing got one of there minis to 80mph on the dyno (w/o wind drag)

Nah OORacing got 100mph on the dyno:

[video=youtube;5ovkNfNQSWc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ovkNfNQSWc[/video]

This is my dream, below, to have a bike that will see off big bore sports bikes on a road that is tight enough:

[video=youtube;-eo1QLqAL2U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eo1QLqAL2U[/video]

the trouble might be trying to get sprokets for it though.

The monkey rear wheel will take 23t sprocket, but I don't want to run 21-25hp through a three piece wheel, could end up being warm jam for a kilometre up the road. LOL The smallest sprocket I have found for pit bike wheels is 30T, coupled with a 18T front the theoretical top speed is 98mph + ~160km/h!!!

Last edited:
Nice mate, i have a 37 rear (the smallest that'll fit on my rim with a 428 chain) and an 18 front but i havn't done a speed test yet with that setup, however i currently run a 17/37 and that'll top out in 4rth with the 184 kit, but not sure of what speed that is, i might have to chuck the phone in my pocket one day n find out.

I agree your a mad man indeed, its gonna be a weapon I'd be really interested to see what you can get out of the 190, the right gearing I reckon you'll get 160.
Defiantly would love to see you cutting some laps with it in person but be sure to get a gopro and show us how intense it gets on the track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I'll do the odd practice day with it for sure, but I can't race it because the the rules won't let you run over 160cc hence my motard is a 150 anima!! This is my streeter, sportsbike hunter, sleeper! Haha!

Thanks for reminding me about the phone, I've got the Pirelli gps tracker, I'll use that!!!!

Sportsbike hunter, I really approve of that comment bud, Top stuff.

So some bits turned up Thursday:

l646.jpg

Dropped the stock back end out:

6lnt.jpg

Pit bike swinga, shock and 12" motard wheel:

qql0.jpg

I'm going to have to get some shims made up by a machine shop because the swinga pivot is 12mm and the monkey one was 10mm. All good it will work out!!

Last edited:
I had the same issue with a pitty i built up, just pressed out the 12mm bushings and put in 10mm. Or if you want a quick fix use the reducers they sell for shock bushing, 12mm od - 10mm id

I had a good crack at mocking up the forks but the top and bottom head bearings are different outside diameter. Luckily the steerer shaft is the same for both forks hence the bearing inside diameters ar the same!!

I tried popping the bottom bearing with a cold chisel..... What's the trick, man they are tight!!! If I can swap the Tonelli bearings over the forks should fit with out machining??

I heat up the part holding the bearing race with a bernzomatic blow torch, makes all the difference, i use to destroy bearing before i started using heat, now they come out easy. Usually freeze the bearing before i put it in and heat up what its going into, almost drops straight in if done right, no need to go crazy with the heat, keep the flame moving till its just too hot to touch with your finger

Borrowed a blow torch from work and success!!!

After measuring both steerer tubes I've got a pretty big issue, the GPX steerer is slightly smaller than the Tonelli with bearings with larger outside diameter..... So I cant machine the gpx forks "down" to the Tonelli size!! Easy enough to get a machinist to shorten and match the Tonelli steerer to the gpx but not when its smaller??? I'll explore the bearing size options in the near future.

So a little disgruntled I mock fitted them anyway!!! I'll have to shorten the fork springs in the front for sure but with a tie down holding the front about 1 inch lower this is how it sits!! Way higher than I was expecting but I'll overcome the bearing issue and chop the springs and dampening rod to drop the front by at least 2 inches. The rear is easy by moving the rear shock top mount to match the front once the front is sorted!!!

I still have to leave enough room for the 190 engine too, so the whole thing is going to be a compromise but I'm pretty happy to see this anyway!!!

7r4f.jpg

Last edited:
Check your clamps, if the tube is pressed in and not welded just push it out and get a new one to suit, or you may get lucky and the tonnelli one is pressed in too you can use that

Latest posts

Back